Hi, I'm considering getting another guitar soon, all around ~$1000AUD price, some a bit less, some a bit more. So far I've decided between some specific guitars.... by 2013 used etc I mean this particular guitar not any from 2013.

-Les Paul Studio (2013 Used)
-Les Paul Studio (04?-06? Used)
-Les Paul Studio (60s Tribute Goldtop New)
-Les Paul Studio (60s Tribute Wine Red New)
-Les Paul Studio (70s Tribute Goldtop New)
-ESP Eclipse (2005, JB & 59 - Interstate Used)
-Burny Super Grade LP (1984 Used)
-First Act Custom Shop Lola Limited Edition 2006 (Basically New)
-PRS SE245

I currently have a Gibson SG Faded which I really like, specifically the faded feel of the neck and its size, the flat fretboard, its lightweight and smaller size frets. Play lots of rock/metal stuff from Zep, Tool, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Metallica, etc....

Any suggestions as to which would be the best for me? I played an EC-330FM recently which I didn't really like all that much and I much preferred the SE245 which I tried out in the same shop for reference.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Apr 25, 2014,
The PRS SE 245 is a great guitar, but so is the Burny. Also the ESP and Gibby Studios/tributes are also good.

You need to play them and pick one
If it is a real ESP and not the LTD, get the Eclipse
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yes it's a real ESP, though I'm not sure if it would suit me. Not really sure about the XJ frets, curved fretboard and thin neck... I also noticed the ESP/LTD ECs have a weird heel around the base of the headstock like this http://s550.photobucket.com/user/bandolierofcarrots/media/eclipse/ESP4.jpg.html quite weird compared to a Gibson... looks strange looking down at it too.

Does anyone know anything about the First Act? Seems like a good guitar and I can always change the pickups. This review says it's a mix of a LP, SG and L6S and it's more vintage like too. Don't know much about the quality if it's comparable to a LP Studio, Gibson CS or inbetween... http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp119/miermana/First%20Act%20Custom%20Shop%20Lola%20Limited%20Edition%202006/_57_zpsc7cf5b30.jpg
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
First Act generally produces cheap starter guitars. Really bad ones.

However, the stuff coming out of their custom shop is very good, and the Lola, Sheena and Delia are usually pretty decent guitars.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 25, 2014,
On second thoughts I've decided against some for various reasons leaving me with:

-Les Paul Studio (2013 Used)
-Les Paul Studio (04?-06? Used)
-ESP Eclipse (2005, JB & 59 - Interstate Used)
-First Act Custom Shop Lola Limited Edition 2006 (Basically New)
-PRS SE245

Do you know what the quality is on the Lola/the First Act CS stuff? I've heard it's run by ex Gibson CS guys but doesn't necessarily mean Gibson CS quality. Also I'd probably swap the pickups on the SE & Lola.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
I know Pete Koller the guitarist for Sick of it All and he plays custom made First Act guitars and he swears by them. They even had his signature guitar for sale a while back, very similar to an SG.
I'm pretty sure Bill Kaler of Mastodon has a few of them also, actually they make lots of custom guitars for professionals

The only issue I have with them are they have a pretty bad resale value
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I know Brent Hinds plays them, hence why I'm considering it

Resale value doesn't matter too much to me for a guitar, since I don't plan on selling them. But I can definitely see that they do because of the little known name, or not well revered for their cheap crap stuff.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Quote by Robbgnarly
I know Pete Koller the guitarist for Sick of it All and he plays custom made First Act guitars and he swears by them. They even had his signature guitar for sale a while back, very similar to an SG.
I'm pretty sure Bill Kaler of Mastodon has a few of them also, actually they make lots of custom guitars for professionals

Brent Hinds, Nick Zinner, Rick Nielsen, Matt Pike, Serj Tankian...lots of players are getting good stuff out of their custom First Acts.

The only issue I have with them are they have a pretty bad resale value

Well...SOME of them!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281138166348?lpid=82

But yeah, their resale value gets depressed because First Act's main rep is based on a flood of cheap, cheap starter guitars and other instruments.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by Badmotorfingers
I know Brent Hinds plays them, hence why I'm considering it

Resale value doesn't matter too much to me for a guitar, since I don't plan on selling them. But I can definitely see that they do because of the little known name, or not well revered for their cheap crap stuff.

But he is playing a custom 8-9 string guitar, not a 6. So it is a specialized guitar for their sludgy tone.

Play as many of them that you can and then make your decision

^^ yeah and no one has bought it either, I wonder what the offers have been
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 25, 2014,
The Lola has gotten pretty consistently positive reviews, though. Ditto the Delia.

As I recall, those and the Stella are only available through the custom shop.

http://www.firstact.com/customshop/artists/

Oh yeah- just looked: saw some of the Lola's on eBay doing pretty well in their own resale value- over $1K.

I would go with the Eclipse. I shopped around for a Les Paul-esque guitar for a while before deciding to get my Eclipse. I found the neck and weight to be far more comfortable than the Gibsons I played.

My Eclipse originally came with EMG 81/60 pickups, which were swapped for a SD JB/'59 set, then again swapped for a SD Black Winter set. I think the JB/'59 set was the best for this guitar and almost regret the swap (although I do love my Black Winters).
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+