So I've been looking around for a distortion pedal and I've narrowed my options down to the Dunlop M115 MXR Distortion III, Boss MT - 2 Metal Zone, Boss DS - 1, and Digitech Hot Head.

My budget would be up to the Dunlop, which is roughly $120 after conversion.

The sound I need from it range from RHCP to Black Album era Metallica to Children of Bodom/Amon Amarth. And I'll be gigging small venues with it as well.

I currently have a Jackson JS30 Warrior and a Peavey Vypyr 15W.
I wouldn't recommend any of those given your amp.

You're better off saving your money and selling the 15W Vypyer getting the 30W one with the 12" speaker. It will make a massive difference.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Night
I've an ol' Mt-2 if you're interested - pm'd

Don't buy it OP. This is literally the worst thing you could buy.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
Don't buy it OP. This is literally the worst thing you could buy.
Come on don't be so negative.
Maybe someday he'll wake up and decide the meaning of his life is play the brütalest black metal...

Anyway TS, what you really need is a new amp.
Your current one is pretty small and will not sound that good with any pedal.
Stick to the modeling for now and save up for a new amp.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Maybe I should've mentioned this earlier, but I forgot. I only need the pedal for direct to mixer situations. Other than that I'll be using the amp. So would that change things?
Quote by Lordsam247
Maybe I should've mentioned this earlier, but I forgot. I only need the pedal for direct to mixer situations. Other than that I'll be using the amp. So would that change things?

Yeah, that would sound really really horrible.

You can get Line 6 POD HD300s for $200 or so. You can get Line 6 POD X3s for around $150 if you find a decent deal.

Do either of those things.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ yeah, do either of these things, going direct from a pedal sounds pretty ****in' bad unless you're after that particular effect.
Which does resemble the scoopiest waspcan metal NakedInTheRain was talking about
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Lordsam247
So basically guitar > pedal > POD?

No.

Guitar -> POD.

A distortion pedal would be redundant. Both the Peavey Vypyr and Line 6 POD already have on-board distortion. Running a distortion pedal before them wouldn't get you a better distortion tone than what you can get using the on-board distortion models.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
No.

Guitar -> POD.

A distortion pedal would be redundant. Both the Peavey Vypyr and Line 6 POD already have on-board distortion. Running a distortion pedal before them wouldn't get you a better distortion tone than what you can get using the on-board distortion models.

+1
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X