Page 1 of 3

Apparently we live in a rape culture where every guy has it drilled into them from a young age that it is okay to rape women.

I don't know, I get that women should be allowed to show their bodies off if they want, but I think the opposite is also true, a guy coming into school/college in a tank top or short shorts would also get sent home because it's inappropriate. It's a fairly large leap of logic to go from telling someone what to wear = raping is okay.

I personally have never felt the urge to rape anyone and think rape is a pretty bad thing.

How bout you.
I don't think you get the message, she's saying that we should teach men not to be distracted instead of telling women what to wear. She also said "perpetuating" which I think is quite appropriate, sexual harassment is pretty common but I can understand it's difficult to take that in for a young guy like yourself.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
I don't think you get the message, she's saying that we should teach men not to be distracted instead of telling women what to wear. She also said "perpetuating" which I think is quite appropriate, sexual harassment is pretty common but I can understand it's difficult to take that in for a young guy like yourself.

How often do you wax your vagina?
Raping is fun wats the big deal

Edit: but srsly, rape culture does exist. It's not necessarily 'every guy wanna rapes woop woop' but sexual harassment towards women is somehow still seen as some grey area where a guy's just having fun/she's being a prude etc
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Last edited by steve_muse at Apr 25, 2014,
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I personally have never felt the urge to rape anyone and think rape is a pretty bad thing.

Well gee, thats good I guess.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Quote by Kensai

The point is inappropriate skin is inappropriate skin. If a guy came in wearing super short shorts, a low cut top with arms showing - he'd probably be sent home too. Workplace attire is workplace attire and covering up is often just a common courtesy to everyone - rather than just a gender thing.

Anyone can wear whatever they want away from a workplace envionrment though, and everyone has the right to get a boner over a hot girl wearing next to nothing - it's just wrong when you do something about it, and I'm personally not one of those types to leer or shout or honk a horn at a woman in public.

Anyway thanks for the lovely patronising post Kensai, much appreciated.]

Quote by steve_muse
Raping is fun wats the big deal

Edit: but srsly, rape culture does exist. It's not necessarily 'every guy wanna rapes woop woop' but sexual harassment towards women is somehow still seen as some grey area where a guy's just having fun/she's being a prude etc

Yeah I get you man but I think there's definitely a bit of a leap of faith going from regulating what men and women wear in the workplace to perpetrating a culture of harassment.
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Apr 25, 2014,
Quote by EndTheRapture51
The point is inappropriate skin is inappropriate skin. If a guy came in wearing super short shorts, a low cut top with arms showing - he'd probably be sent home too.

Guys wander around topless at the schools I've gone to. They were not sent home.
Quote by MakinLattes
Guys wander around topless at the schools I've gone to. They were not sent home.

That's gross, they'dve got sent home where I was, but my school was mad about uniform. If you didn't have your top button done up they'd go crazy.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Apparently we live in a rape culture where every guy has it drilled into them from a young age that it is okay to rape women.

Wait. It's not?

Fuck...
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by EndTheRapture51
That's gross, they'dve got sent home where I was, but my school was mad about uniform. If you didn't have your top button done up they'd go crazy.

Yeah, uh, in general public universities don't have uniforms...
Quote by Philip_pepper
How often do you wax your vagina?

Just... stop....

Quote by EndTheRapture51
The point is inappropriate skin is inappropriate skin. If a guy came in wearing super short shorts, a low cut top with arms showing - he'd probably be sent home too. Workplace attire is workplace attire and covering up is often just a common courtesy to everyone - rather than just a gender thing.

Anyone can wear whatever they want away from a workplace envionrment though, and everyone has the right to get a boner over a hot girl wearing next to nothing - it's just wrong when you do something about it, and I'm personally not one of those types to leer or shout or honk a horn at a woman in public.

Anyway thanks for the lovely patronising post Kensai, much appreciated.]

Why would he be sent home for that? The note seems to be from a school anyway. Like makinlattes said boy walk around topless, but if a woman did that she'd be sent home.

The issue here is the framing: Saying "boys will be boys" as an excuse is not good enough, it's boys who will have to change their behaviour, not women. Making women cover up is one thing among many things that distribute power towards the men.

You might think I was being condescending because you're young, but look at the replies in this thread and you'll see why I don't regard young males very high when it comes to this.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by EndTheRapture51

I think he may be American, they call every thing from nursery to university school. I'm guessing he means on a campus, not in secondary school.
where the hell do you go to school where people would be sent home for this stuff?

Yea, a workplace environment I can definitely see where you're coming from but I've never seen a school (university level) go on about dress code very much. As long as you don't come in in your underwear it's usually cool, lol. Though certain classes and professors obviously all have varying rules.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Apr 25, 2014,
I'm a girl, for one, and for two none of the educational facilities I have gone to have had a uniform.
The message is implying that the point of the dress code is to prevent the OBVIOUSLY INEVITABLE rapes that will occur if women wear tank tops and shorty shorts. Which is ridiculous. The dress code is to make sure people look professional and to set the proper mood for the place: work, learning, etc. And you can't teach men to not be distracted by attractive women, it's a biological response. You'd be teaching men to ignore their sexuality completely. [Any more than you can teach women not to be distracted by attractive men, but I think the effect is biologically stronger in men.]
"This one is machine and nerve, and has its mind concluded
This one is but flesh and faith, and is the more deluded."
Last edited by RealUnrealRob at Apr 25, 2014,
Quote by MakinLattes
I'm a girl, for one, and for two none of the educational facilities I have gone to have had a uniform.

Sorry, I didn't mean disrespect by calling you a he.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I don't know, I get that women should be allowed to show their bodies off if they want, but I think the opposite is also true, a guy coming into school/college in a tank top or short shorts would also get sent home because it's inappropriate. It's a fairly large leap of logic to go from telling someone what to wear = raping is okay.

I think there's probably a background debate here we might be missing.

"Dress appropriately" is fine, but a lot of the time it's because it's "distracting for the men" (and from the sounds of that note, possibly that's what been said here).

The point is, "we should all be dressing smartly" is a very different motivation to "cover up please, you're turning all the male students and staff on".

Also I should probably mention that the whole idea of "rape culture" isn't that lads are walking around thinking "oh, I might follow that lass home with a knife and rape them", it's that there is a culture of blaming women for men's behaviour towards them (for example because of how they're dressed, as mentioned here) and an attitude that men have a right to women's bodies.
It's fun to see somebody not understand something so badly.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
i agree with her. she's arguing that the reason behind the ban of tank tops and shorts is unjustified or silly. the thing about it perpetuating rape culture is kinda true too, it's like saying 'it's revealing for women. guys will look at you and think certain things. don't worry; we've banned it so that won't be an issue.' it's therefore protecting women by covering women, which is just stupid.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Apr 25, 2014,
I think aside from work and some schools you can wear whatever you want as long as nips and ass are covered. Wear a clown costume, bright red jumpsuit, cat tail, underwear on your head, bra over your T-shirt, anything!
Quote by laid-to-waste
i agree with her. she's arguing that the reason behind the ban of tank tops and shorts is unjustified or silly. the thing about it perpetuating rape culture is kinda true too, it's like saying 'it's revealing for women. guys will look at you and think certain things. don't worry; we've banned it so that won't be an issue.' it's therefore protecting women by covering women, which is just stupid.

Or it's acknowledging the fact that sexualized clothing worn by either sex has the effect of creating sexual feelings? It's not anyone's fault that humans are distracted by sexuality, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't acknowledge it and do something about it. There's a point where clothing is no longer appropriate for a professional place. It has nothing to do with rape culture.

Obviously we don't actually know the specific setting, but I'm assuming this is a professional or semi-professional location, and the dress code applies to both sexes.
The thing about feminists is that they are so self centered... also, I'm new to this 'boys will be boys' thing to justify rape, so if somebody could actually link me to an example of this then maybe I'd be a little less sceptical. But on the other hand, I'll just leave this that I found here...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h08e1orr5hq5bed/Why%20I%20Don%27t%20Need%20Feminism.pdf

I found it quite funny but that's just me!
All my hobbies are expensive, pls $$donate to my cause$$
Quote by RealUnrealRob
Or it's acknowledging the fact that sexualized clothing worn by either sex has the effect of creating sexual feelings? It's not anyone's fault that humans are distracted by sexuality, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't acknowledge it and do something about it. There's a point where clothing is no longer appropriate for a professional place. It has nothing to do with rape culture.

Obviously we don't actually know the specific setting, but I'm assuming this is a professional or semi-professional location, and the dress code applies to both sexes.

i think the key here is context. i was picturing school grounds in the fall, where girls couldn't wear short skirts and tank tops. what's the problem with creating sexual feelings? i'm not talking anything dramatic here, just a normal denim skirt and a tank top that isn't massively revealing.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by RealUnrealRob

You know that the western world doesn't always reflect human nature, right? Breasts aren't sexual in every single culture in the world.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by lolmnt
You know that the western world doesn't always reflect human nature, right? Breasts aren't sexual in every single culture in the world.

No, just in the overwhelming majority of places. And in any case we are talking about the western world right now, so it's relevant how people in the western world react. All I'm saying is that in a professional or semiprofessional workplace or learning environment it is reasonable to control what people wear. We all agree on that, otherwise you'd be arguing people should go about naked. The point of discussion is then where to draw the line, and that's dependent on social norms, which are much more conservative in a professional environment than in a high school or general public. Without knowing the specific context it's hard to know how reasonable this person's post on the wall is.
Need more context for understanding that flier.

As a general rule, I feel that if a dress-code is instituted, it should apply equally to men and women. If girls can't show their back, neither can guys. If guys can't wear skirts, neither can girls. etc
Check out my band Disturbed
Fashion is a terrible evil industry anyway. TBH Mao got it right with the idea of a Maosuit. Everyone everywhere just wears the same thing all the time. It would be designed to be comfortable and durable.
You aren't "expressing yourself" by wearing the clothes that someone else made. Either we all make our own clothes, or we all wear the same thing. There is no middle ground.
Quote by WCPhils
where the hell do you go to school where people would be sent home for this stuff?

Yea, a workplace environment I can definitely see where you're coming from but I've never seen a school (university level) go on about dress code very much. As long as you don't come in in your underwear it's usually cool, lol. Though certain classes and professors obviously all have varying rules.

hehehehehehhhe.

Last time dress code was really enforced was high school, and even then it wasn't enforced very well. But i agree with this:

Quote by StewieSwan
As a general rule, I feel that if a dress-code is instituted, it should apply equally to men and women. If girls can't show their back, neither can guys. If guys can't wear skirts, neither can girls. etc
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by macashmack
Fashion is a terrible evil industry anyway. TBH Mao got it right with the idea of a Maosuit. Everyone everywhere just wears the same thing all the time. It would be designed to be comfortable and durable.
You aren't "expressing yourself" by wearing the clothes that someone else made. Either we all make our own clothes, or we all wear the same thing. There is no middle ground.

I can't tell if you're trolling or not... What clothes you wear says a lot about you. But that's irrelevant to the thread, because if you'd read the OP you'd know that the issue is dressing for basic comfort in summer.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I can't tell if you're trolling or not... What clothes you wear says a lot about you. But that's irrelevant to the thread, because if you'd read the OP you'd know that the issue is dressing for basic comfort in summer.

There would be seasonal suits. The one you wear in the summer wouldn't be the one you wear in the winter.
Last edited by macashmack at Apr 25, 2014,
Quote by macashmack
There would be seasonal suits. The one you wear in the summer wouldn't be the one you wore in the winter.

And your opinion of people expressing themselves via what they wear links to wearing clothes suited to the season how?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

he's trolling
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by K33nbl4d3
And your opinion of people expressing themselves via what they wear links to wearing clothes suited to the season how?

It was addressing this comment of yours:

Quote by K33nbl4d3
you'd read the OP you'd know that the issue is dressing for basic comfort in summer.
this reminded me of when i came in to school on halloween of senior year wearing my girlfriends clothes. they didnt match up with the "cant come before the fingertip" rule and all the girls were losing their minds that i could wear mega short shorts and not be sent home
The girl who posted the thing obviously does not understand the purpose of the dress code. It is not to prevent rape or to suppress girls, although rape prevention is, perhaps, a good side effect if there are any boys inclined to rape a girl simply because of revealing clothing. The purpose of a dress code is to facilitate a professional and learning environment. If girls are allowed to show whatever they want, then guys are going to be distracted, and if guys are allowed to wear whatever they want, then girls are gong to be distracted. The school that I went to had a very reasonable dress code. No shorts more than three inches above the knee, shirts always tucked in, no bare midriffs, no parts of the back or anything lower than the collar bone showing, and there must be sleeves. It even extended further with guys, as the shirt tucked in rule was really only enforced on guys, and guys couldn't wear gym shorts outside of gym, even if they were longer than the three inch rule.

Of course I had my problems with the dress code when I was that age, but now that I am older I understand the purpose for it.

Kensai, do you really think it's okay for girls to wear whatever they want in school? You can't ask guys to not be distracted when there are ten girls in the same room wearing nothing but booty shorts and tube tops. If girls were allowed to do that when I was in school, I seriously doubt that I would have ever passed freshman year.

I will say, though, that if girls are regulated by dress code and guys are not, then there is a problem. Guys walking around shirtless and wearing sleeveless tank tops can be just as distracting for girls.

It always amazes me how people can take seemingly obvious things and construe them into some form of repression. Rape culture? Really?
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Page 1 of 3