Hi everyone!

I'm refinishing a really cheap strat-style electric guitar and want to tarnish/patina/stain the chrome hardware, preferably without resorting to replacing for something else.

The body, pickguard, pickup covers, headstock and dials will have a real rust finish and the chrome hardware won't fit in whatsoever. Obviously I can't rust any working parts and painting isn't an option.

I'm sure this would be handy for anyone relicing too but haven't found anything other than 'it can't be done', 'sand it' or other similar answers. If only the hardware was nickel or black! *shakes fist*

I'll be trying a few things either way and I will post results of the finished item.

Any input would be appreciated, cheers!
Chrome plating doesn't really tarnish/patina/stain, it just flakes and falls off. That's probably why people are saying it can't be done.

Also:
Panic -> Panicking
Mimic -> Mimicking
Traffic -> Trafficking
so
Relic -> Relicking.
Last edited by von Layzonfon at Apr 25, 2014,
Quote by von Layzonfon
Chrome plating doesn't really tarnish/patina/stain, it just flakes and falls off. That's probably why people are saying it can't be done.

That makes sense. I guess I could just chip off some of the chrome plating and rough it up a bit. I wonder if it'll discolour with heat?

Quote by von Layzonfon
Also:
Panic -> Panicking
Mimic -> Mimicking
Traffic -> Trafficking
so
Relic -> Relicking.
And I don't know why my group page has gone missing.

That also makes sense, cheers!

*Relicking
Quote by WeZ-84
When I was looking for parts for my partscaster I saw some ebay listings for "burnt chrome parts" which looked pretty cool they weren't shiny and might fit in with what you're planning to do.

Something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Iridium-burnt-chrome-finish-oval-jack-socket-plate-UK-SELLER-/121138401209?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1c34694fb9

This would be perfect!

The description on the listing makes me think they've taken a flame to it, something I should be able to test out myself on some spare parts.

Cheers
Quote by WeZ-84
When I was looking for parts for my partscaster I saw some ebay listings for "burnt chrome parts" which looked pretty cool they weren't shiny and might fit in with what you're planning to do.

Something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Iridium-burnt-chrome-finish-oval-jack-socket-plate-UK-SELLER-/121138401209?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1c34694fb9
Ooh. I like those. Certainly worth a try. Not sure how you'd fare with machine heads that have nylon bushes. Unless you take them apart of course.
Quote by von Layzonfon
Not sure how you'd fare with machine heads that have nylon bushes. Unless you take them apart of course.

I'd definitely dismantle them first to be sure the heat doesn't affect anything crucial. I also won't mess with any springs or screw threads, another reason I didn't just paint them.
Last edited by BreakingMyself at Apr 25, 2014,
Quote by WeZ-84
Make sure you post some pics when you're done!

I certainly will.

I'll have a go with the neck plate tonight and upload some pics. It's getting the rust treatment afterwards, but it's an ideal victim for the experiment! *maniacal laugh*

I'll actually keep track of all progress and techniques used so I can write up a tutorial.
It's going to take quite a bit more than a jet lighter to tarnish it. I'm surprised I didn't hear laughter coming from the neck plate, which is just as polished as when I started.

Next I'm going to open a disposable bbq and lay it on foil to see what happens. At this rate I'll be investing in a blowtorch.
It works!

I borrowed a blowtorch from work and within 30 seconds, crazy blue/purple swirls appeared.

This pic was all I could sort at the moment, as I'm not on my computer and had to crop and scale multiple times to upload but you get the gist lol.

I'll start on the hardware and get some decent pics up when they're done.

Thanks again guys!
Attachments:
20140426_174835-2-1_resized.jpg
WAIT! I take it back.

I just started on a bridge saddle and it just melted, like solder. So now I need a new bridge and/or saddles anyway. I'm not going to risk any other parts, it's not very reliable.

I have half a saddle and a small pool of non-descript metal if anyone's interested.

EDIT: The saddles are diecast so have a low melting temp, useful for future reference.

I've managed to order a matching set of stainless steel saddles for my bridge anyway. Back to the drawing board I go!
Last edited by BreakingMyself at Apr 26, 2014,