I acquired my first electric guitar a few months ago for a good price. An all vintage 66 mustang. Not knowing any better I slapped some acoustic strings on it to check the tuning and went on to trying to plug it into my microphone jack on my PC with a cheap small gauge cable.

All I was getting was loud (amplified) crackling when adjusting the volume pot. Long story short I went to a local shop and bought some new pots(500k vs vintage 250k), cable, strings. I also went ahead and bought new pickups, and ordered a RI pick guard and new three way mustang switches.

They gave me a nice little amp and told me to keep it. (Big shot out to George's Music, Spring City, PA) Well I got home with a plan of soldering on just a new Volume pot to see what happens. Low and behold it is sounding great! The vintage pickup selector switches are finnicky and you have to tweak them to find the signal.

My main thoughts are, maybe it would have been easier to just leave the stang vintage and just buy another cheap guitar for everyday practicing. Now I am looking at swapping out the pick guard with new pickups and storing the old. I worry about losing the tone of these old pickups.

I know about the vintage pickup remakes I was just in a hurry to get this working I bought a duncan lil 59' bridge and a duncan hot rails neck (SL59-1b//SHR-1n)
I have been trying to get some good reviews for these pickups and a lot of people say they are great. I am however considering keeping the lil 59' and returning the hotrail. The hotrail from what I have seen sounds very Van Halenish, nothing wrong with that I'd like to practice more jazz and blues though.

Beings that I have the new Pick Guard on order, I am thinking the best way to go would be at some point in the near future just go a step further and buy some Lindy Fralin RI Mustang pickups.

Sorry for the long post, Thanks for any suggestions.

Also: Tone capacitors... I'd like to store the vintage one too, but I bought the wrong kind at Radioshack. Ceramic 0.0047uF/500wvdcmax and I think the vintage is .05mfd/50v. I will just leave the vintage tone control in place until I can order a close match...
Last edited by Nacxkq at Apr 25, 2014,
I hope you're trolling, because all kinds of wrong going on here. Just desoldering the original components hurts its value, let alone replacing them.
I had to do it. I opened both pots and inspected and tried to adjust the wipers without desoldering anything. It just didn't want to put out a signal. As soon as I replaced the volume... no crackle and it sounds like a perfectly working guitar.

My plan is to only desolder at the same location and replace the whole shebang to preserve the electronics with the pick guard. I plan on keeping the vintage control panel operational with the replaced volume. I didn't want to mess with the pickups as they both give @ 6k ohmmeter signal. The switches are not in great condition.
I'll give you $300 for it and you can buy another guitar.
You know that acoustic strings usually are not magnetic?
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Sorry not for sale. I didn't know about the strings. I didn't know they could damage the neck from tensile strength either. It has a real nice sustain though sometimes it feels like their is a swarm of bees buzzing inside the thing. Is my plan though pretty good? Store the old pick guard wire harness and slap in a new RI get some Fralins down the road.
"shut up and play yur guitar" - Frank Zappa

For the music you want to play the stock pickups are PERFECT! Don't change them please.

Soak your stock pots and switches overnight in contact cleaner and work them back and forth as things loosen up. You may get them fully functional again. This worked on my long neglected 55 LP.

Hint: Cheap-ass knock-off guitars from China were meant to be modded. Rare vintage 50s and 60s American guitars were meant to be preserved intact as they will never be hand-built with this technology again. It is an iconic piece of bygone music history. Fralins or Duncans would ruin the vintage vibe completely. Please don't feck it up!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 25, 2014,
The original pots and switches were just dirty. A good cleaning could have brought them back to good working order...

It's not my guitar and not really my business but I don't understand why you decided to replace literally everything and honestly I don't agree with it... with the money you spent on parts you could have just put towards another cheap guitar instead of making a $1300 guitar basically worthless. Old Fenders are getting harder and harder to find (thanks, Japan).

I'm sorry, I usually never chide people for modding vintage gear. I try not to sink to that level. Then again, people don't usually mod vintage Fenders...
Well I may just have to listen to you guys this is what I needed to hear I think. My main goal all along was to get it working and it is now sounding great with what... two altered solder joints... and a new volume knob. I can live with that... I don't care about the money really, I just wanted to be able to wail some riffs. I almost have some Hey Joe memorized. I am almost a Robin Trower "Bridge of Sighs" master. I will just be siting on a $40 pickguard and some new switches I was planning on returning the one pickup. I will keep the other for something else. I never spend money on crap so I don't worry about it too much.
Ok, i`m gonna bite....

I dunno if you`re a troll or not, but really if you`re sitting with a vintage fender (regardless of its value) why not pass it on to a collector or someone who will appreciate the guitar? They will give you the cash to buy *almost* any guitar that you desire...
Not usually a great player but certainly a piece of music history:
https://reverb.com/item/31579-fender-mustang-1966-dakota-red?gclid=CKvb8PDy_L0CFU5lfgod7xkAOg
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

I do appreciate it. More than any dollar value it may have. All I can say is when I opened the volume pot the wafer had some black wear tracks almost the beginning of a groove, I actually thought it would be fine if I barely tweaked the wipers for a better connection but I was afraid of bending them out of wack.

I am decided now though not to do anymore to it. It works I was amazed and feel very lucky all I had to do was change one knob. Maybe I'll try and learn the best way to clean the switches. As of now the bridge switch seems to function reliably though bumping it cuts out signal. The neck switch did work but is a pain to get a strong signal connection.

Yeah maybe it was a little boastful about posting how much I paid for the thing.. apologies. I actually love the thing though. It excites me and I am amazed that I managed to get it working without doing a whole lot of hacking to it.

With the sounds this thing can make you would think thrash metal and more Black Sabbath's would have popped up back then..
Last edited by Nacxkq at Apr 25, 2014,
Quote by Nacxkq

With the sounds this thing can make you would think thrash metal and more Black Sabbath's would have popped up back then..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Cheer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Misunderstood