so i have the opportunity to buy a marshall 1960 cab with v30 speakers in it. im on the verge of selling my v3m due to fizz. i have it almost dialed out but the cab im running right now is just plain painful to hear with this amp. would v30 speakers and a 4x12 compliment a naturally fizzy amp?

ive dialed out fizz with a full tube swap to include some 5751 tubes. how will these speakers help out?
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
They might help a little with the fizz, but they do have a pronounced upper-mid that can get really harsh if you have a fizzy amp.

What speakers are you using now?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
celestian 70/80's its what i had in most of my cabs with no issues but this carvin does NOT like them at all
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

v30s might help, especially if they're broken-in. I find them smoother rather than fizzy (though not everyone agrees, it must be said). EDIT: marshall v30s are a slightly different design, I'm not sure I've tried them. what i said above applies to bog standard v30s.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i guess ill have to go try it out. i do enjoy the carvin but if i cant tame the fizz its gotta go. i regret selling my 5150 now.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

That is my biggest gripe with the V3/V3m, it is near impossible to get rid of the fizz in them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Seventy 80's are shitful speakers. If you think your other amps sound ok through them, I weep for your ears. You've obviously deprived them of good tone for all this time.

With that amp, G12K100's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
easy cath....i never said it sounded OK. i said i never had any issues. ive always skimped on my cabs anyway because i never had the money after i bought the head. well now i do and im ready to fix some shizz.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Just winding you up, man.

Tubes may not be helping the cause either. What's in it?

Still standing by the K100's though. You could always look out for a Marshall MF400 cab, those have K100's in them and sometimes go for decent prices because of the Mode Four label on them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yep there are a few MF400 cabs on GC for <$300 and they have the K100's

I was thinking CL-80's, but K100's are a good choice
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 25, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
Just winding you up, man.

Tubes may not be helping the cause either. What's in it?

Still standing by the K100's though. You could always look out for a Marshall MF400 cab, those have K100's in them and sometimes go for decent prices because of the Mode Four label on them.

i know cath!! it wouldnt be you if ya didnt!!
my local shop has a 1960 cab AND he carries the new randall thrasher/rd line i think they have g12h100's in them. are they the same?

edit:

it has mullard el84's with the bias a little hot
v1:jjecc82
v2:ecc83s
v3:tungsol 12ax7
v4/PI: jj5751
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Last edited by iheartgun at Apr 26, 2014,
Very very similar, the K's have a little more bottom end but that's about it.

Tube selection looks ok, you've obviously thought about it. I might try swapping out the TungSol for another JJ ECC83S though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
im gonna bring it over to my local shop and test it through the 1960a and a randall 2x12. ill post up what happens. who knows what will happen lol
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

I use a 2x12 with a K100 and a V30 with my V3. It sounds really fantastic in my opinion. I assume it would sound quite similar with a V3M. I think you'd do just fine with either of those.

Also, definitely look at the tubes like Cath suggested. I would personally see how it sounds with the Tung Sol switched out. I found that my V3 really didn't like the sound of Tung Sols.

I've never played with the V3M though, just the V3, so maybe take my suggestions with a grain of salt.
well i took it in. tried it with the marshall and the randall.....no dice. i even swapped out the tubes when i got home. nothing. sounded just as bad. so im gonna take it to my shop leave it there on cosignment.

on a positive note....i brought something new home instead. a NAD is in order for tonight after work. i appreciate all the help and suggestions but the v3m is obviously not for me. it would be a great power amp but thats about it.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board