Hey Everyone,

So I have upgraded my stock pickups to some seymour duncans and now Im looking to upgrade the potentiometers and I need recommendations.

My favorite 'styles' to play are old school thrash/crossover, but I also really enjoy garage and blues, if that makes any difference on the type of pots.

If I should upgrade the wiring please recommend the type I should get.

Also!!!! can someone explain capacitors im a simple way, haha! I would like to also include them in my set up if they make a good difference.

Thank you!
If it has full sized pots, I'd leave them unless you are having issues with them.

Capacitors help to send the treble frequency's to ground. HB's typically use .022uf
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
If it has full sized pots, I'd leave them unless you are having issues with them.

Capacitors help to send the treble frequency's to ground. HB's typically use .022uf

Thanks Rob!
How can I find out if I have full sized pots? newbie here.
Does it relate to 500k vs 250k?
Because I just read epiphones come with 500k.
What brand capacitor would you recommend?
Last edited by cometobutthed at Apr 25, 2014,
Quote by cometobutthed
Thanks Rob!
How can I find out if I have full sized pots? newbie here.
Does it relate to 500k vs 250k?
Because I just read epiphones come with 500k.
What brand capacitor would you recommend?

I use Sprague orang drop .022uf in my HB guitars
A full sized pot is a little smaller than a quarter and the mini pots are about the size of a dime. My Epiphone G-400 came with full size 500k pots and it was the cheap $299 one
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Here's how tone controls work (and why using audiophile tone cap types is pointless in this circuit).
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Invader+Jim/blog/131709/

As for pots, the value subtly but noticeably affects the tone. Higher values load the signal less and so will sound brighter. A 500k sounds a bit brighter than a 250k and a 1M sounds a bit brighter than a 500k.