I recently bought a second handed Ibanez rg2750 which came with Dimarzio/ibz pickups and to be honest I feel they sound like shit they are neither smooth enough for clean stuff nor heavy enough for heavy stuff and they are muddy as ****.

Before my rg2750 I've had a crappy old Yahama Pacifica for like 6 years which came along with Seymour Duncan pickups and to be honest I think they sounded much much better, at least they were good for playing clean stuff.

So I want to change my Dimarzio/Ibz 's and I wanted to see if anybody has any advice as to what I should go for. I want something that would sound really smooth but heavy at the same time. I think the best way to describe what I would like would be a mixture of a smooth but maybe even heavier Pantera and Marty Friedman sound :l
which duncans did your pacifica have?

which amp are you using?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My go-to choice for this kinda stuff is the seymour duncan distortion on the more or less cheap.
If you like them mids then there're the dimarzio ionizers...
Though if you have the money you may wanna look at the bk nailbomb or warpig.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
My go-to choice for this kinda stuff is the seymour duncan distortion on the more or less cheap.

The DiMarzio Ionizers are 8 string only. The Rg he has is a 6.

I personally think the Duncan Full Shreds are exactly what you are looking for. I love the neck pickups in that set. It's as smooth as they come.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
^ sorry, a 6 popped up after the "dimarzio ionizer" in google and I didn't look furter.

Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I have three pickups for you to look into. All three of my electrics have at least one of these pickups on board and I love em all. I play mainly metal, but I dabble with other genres as well.

Duncan JB
Duncan Jazz (neck)
Duncan Dimebucker

I use the JB in the neck as well as the bridge and have gotten phenomenal results!
Jackson DK2M "Kendra"(Illuminator/Crunch Lab)
Charvel So Cal "Hayley" (JBs)
Washburn RX30 "Cherri" (Jazz/Dimebucker)
Sterling JP60 "Mara" (LiquiFire/Steve's Special)
Quote by dash-rendar
I have three pickups for you to look into. All three of my electrics have at least one of these pickups on board and I love em all. I play mainly metal, but I dabble with other genres as well.

Duncan JB
Duncan Jazz (neck)
Duncan Dimebucker

I use the JB in the neck as well as the bridge and have gotten phenomenal results!

Cross the Dimebucker off that list, OP. Sorry dash, the Dimebucker is not regarded as a terribly spectacular pickup.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by dash-rendar
Dimebucker

I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Quote by Dave_Mc
which duncans did your pacifica have?

which amp are you using?

I don't know, even the Yahama site only says seymour duncan pickups and I wasn't able to find anywhere else to say what they are.
by the way the guitar is a PA012.

My amp is a piece of crap too but I will be buying a new one soon. Its a Yamaha f-20 and I am actually kinda using it as my audio interfaces monitor right now and not as an amp, cause I don't have monitor speakers )
I get my sound with Amplitube 3 on pc and it's pretty nice.

I would have even considered putting the Seymour Duncans in the PA012 into my RG but the problem with them is that they are so smooth that when you play low notes really fast the notes get lost and you could barely hear what's going on. They are not so good for dropped tuning and heavy stuff.

Quote by dash-rendar

Duncan JB
Duncan Jazz (neck)
Duncan Dimebucker

Quote by TheStig1214
Cross the Dimebucker off that list, OP. Sorry dash, the Dimebucker is not regarded as a terribly spectacular pickup.

Yeah, I do like how the Dimebuckers sound on rhythms but in solos they sound quit as shiti as my Dimarzio/ibzs they sound like trying to roar with a very soar throat.

I do like the Jb's though they sound pretty good but are they good for extremely heavy stuff too ?

I need it to be quite versatile. I play all the way from Dir en Grey, jeff loomis, cradle of filth and so on to malmsteen, jason becker, dream theater, marty friedman ,pink floyd .....

I just watched this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryzie8mham8

and I'm also really liking the sound of the alternative 8, has any of you had an experience with those ? would you suggest them ? They've got a good heavy sound but I can't tell if they are smooth enough

Quote by Spambot_2

check this video it's a seven string pickup comparision but I still kinda think the Seymours sound better than the nailbomb and warpig don't you think so too ? have you tried out the nailbomb and the warpig yourself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW_iiNo2ECE

By the way I'm having some one bring me this set of pick-ups form US cause there's no useful store here where I live, that's why I'm so curious on what to get, cause I could neither hear how it sounds in a store nor send it back.
Quote by dash-rendar

Duncan JB
Duncan Jazz (neck)
Duncan Dimebucker

Haven't seen you post in a while.

But I quite like the JB/Jazz combination but that just felt really flat to me through a certain kind of amp, maybe I'
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Seymour Duncan JB / Jazz

Maybe an SD Distortion matched set.

Maybe a DiMarzio Super Distortion with a Norton or a Fred.

EDIT: Maybe even EMG 81/60A or 85
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Apr 26, 2014,
Quote by bloodangel619
check this video it's a seven string pickup comparision but I still kinda think the Seymours sound better than the nailbomb and warpig don't you think so too ? have you tried out the nailbomb and the warpig yourself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW_iiNo2ECE

By the way I'm having some one bring me this set of pick-ups form US cause there's no useful store here where I live, that's why I'm so curious on what to get, cause I could neither hear how it sounds in a store nor send it back.
I tried the warpig.
You know, hearing comparisons of that kind is good to get the differences between pickups and stuff but there often are a couple of things to take into consideration:
1. did he change the amp settings between the pickups?
Because a pickup may be clearer and have more mids, but you'll not really appreciate the clarity much if you're hearing that after a pickup with normal mids for which the amp was set.
2. stuff is hella processed, you can get an idea what to look for but things in real life sound different.

But if you happen to prefer the duncans, by any means don't let a random smapbot found on an internet forum discourage you by saying he prefers other stuff
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by bloodangel619
I don't know, even the Yahama site only says seymour duncan pickups and I wasn't able to find anywhere else to say what they are.
by the way the guitar is a PA012.

My amp is a piece of crap too but I will be buying a new one soon. Its a Yamaha f-20 and I am actually kinda using it as my audio interfaces monitor right now and not as an amp, cause I don't have monitor speakers )
I get my sound with Amplitube 3 on pc and it's pretty nice.

I would have even considered putting the Seymour Duncans in the PA012 into my RG but the problem with them is that they are so smooth that when you play low notes really fast the notes get lost and you could barely hear what's going on. They are not so good for dropped tuning and heavy stuff.

did you get it second-hand? the pacifica 012 shouldn't have duncans in it unless someone retrofitted them.

you could always take them out to look next time you're changing strings. it normally gives the model number on the back of them, i think, on a sticker.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
did you get it second-hand? the pacifica 012 shouldn't have duncans in it unless someone retrofitted them.

you could always take them out to look next time you're changing strings. it normally gives the model number on the back of them, i think, on a sticker.

I imagine they're just stock Duncan Designeds or something.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Spambot_2
I tried the warpig.
You know, hearing comparisons of that kind is good to get the differences between pickups and stuff but there often are a couple of things to take into consideration:
1. did he change the amp settings between the pickups?
Because a pickup may be clearer and have more mids, but you'll not really appreciate the clarity much if you're hearing that after a pickup with normal mids for which the amp was set.
2. stuff is hella processed, you can get an idea what to look for but things in real life sound different.

yeah you're right I didn't have that in mind.

Quote by Spambot_2
But if you happen to prefer the duncans, by any means don't let a random smapbot found on an internet forum discourage you by saying he prefers other stuff

lol, no, no I seriously appreciate your opinion even though you are a spambot ), actually I usually love trying rare cool stuff, if I were in the US I would have surely tried those, but just like I said I'd have to go for something safe this time.

Quote by Dave_Mc

no my Yamaha was new. Well I think the yamaha site said they were Seymours :l what should a PA012 normally have ?

Quote by Dave_Mc

I am way too lazy too do that :l

If I take the jazz/jb set for bridge and neck what do you think I should get for the middle position
Quote by bloodangel619

(a) no my Yamaha was new. Well I think the yamaha site said they were Seymours :l what should a PA012 normally have ?

(b) I am way too lazy too do that :l

(c) If I take the jazz/jb set for bridge and neck what do you think I should get for the middle position

(a) stock cheapo yamaha pickups I imagine

(b) no worries, me too. I have a ton of guitars I've never taken the pickups out of to check

(c) Isn't the pacifica 012 HSS? What type of tones do you want the single coils to do, and do you want to split the humbucker and match the single coils in output that way, or do you want the single coils to match the full output of the humbucker?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

(c) Isn't the pacifica 012 HSS? What type of tones do you want the single coils to do, and do you want to split the humbucker and match the single coils in output that way, or do you want the single coils to match the full output of the humbucker?

yes I just noticed ) I had forgotten it was an HSS ) another reason not to be able to put them in my rg

What diffrence would that make? I'm a total noob and I have never replaced pickups

but I must say I have been playing guitar for nearly 7 years and I could say I have barley ever even once played anything with the middle pickups, especially with my ibanez cause the middle dimarzio/ibz sounds like pure poop its not good for anything or any style. I would want a middle pickup that I would for god's sack at least use once or at least wouldn't rune the sound if I accidentally switched to it.

I have become quite obsessed with the seymour duncan TB-15 alternative 8 and I've read alot of good responses about it. So right now I've decided to go for a TB-15 on the bridge and an SH-2n jazz for the neck and I want to get them with nickel cover so I would prefer a singel coil that I could atleast put a chrome cover on it so it wouldn't ruin how my guitar would look :l
Last edited by bloodangel619 at Apr 27, 2014,
the jazz won't work in the neck because it won't fit- it's a humbucker. you need single coils for the middle and neck position.

regarding the output matching:

if you mainly use the in-between tones when using the single coils (so using positions 2 or 4, where you have the bridge and middle pickup on together, or the neck + middle together) then it would help to match the single coil to the output of the split humbucker, so it doesn't overpower it. also if you like to use single coils or cleaner tones, again going lower in output (matching the split humbucker) will help there.

conversely if you want to use the single coils with a similar tone to the humbucker, for similar styles of music, then getting single coils which are closer in output to the bridge humbucker would make more sense.

it just depends on what you want, whether you want versatility or a more specific type of tone.

EDIT: i haven't tried the alternative 8
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
As far as people complaining about the Dimebucker, it all depends on the guitar you have it in. The guitar I've got mine in (a Washburn RX30) just had this really messed up high midrange... like I mean, my midrange was off completely and it was STILL too much. I dropped the Dimebucker into the bridge just to try it out and see if I liked it... it tamed down the mids on that guitar like I don't know what... it's great for that particular guitar.

They usually sell rather cheaply secondhand. Try on in the Ibby, it may work, it may not. I play almost everything with that guitar - the thing sounds great clean, which you wouldn't expect from a higher output pickup. Works really well for country stuff :P
Jackson DK2M "Kendra"(Illuminator/Crunch Lab)
Charvel So Cal "Hayley" (JBs)
Washburn RX30 "Cherri" (Jazz/Dimebucker)
Sterling JP60 "Mara" (LiquiFire/Steve's Special)
Quote by Dave_Mc
the jazz won't work in the neck because it won't fit- it's a humbucker. you need single coils for the middle and neck position.

regarding the output matching:

if you mainly use the in-between tones when using the single coils (so using positions 2 or 4, where you have the bridge and middle pickup on together, or the neck + middle together) then it would help to match the single coil to the output of the split humbucker, so it doesn't overpower it. also if you like to use single coils or cleaner tones, again going lower in output (matching the split humbucker) will help there.

conversely if you want to use the single coils with a similar tone to the humbucker, for similar styles of music, then getting single coils which are closer in output to the bridge humbucker would make more sense.

it just depends on what you want, whether you want versatility or a more specific type of tone.

EDIT: i haven't tried the alternative 8

My yamaha is an HSS.You forgot that I'm changing my Ibanezs pickups my Ibanez rg is an HSH so the jazz would fit.
Quote by bloodangel619
I recently bought a second handed Ibanez rg2750 which came with Dimarzio/ibz pickups and to be honest I feel they sound like shit they are neither smooth enough for clean stuff nor heavy enough for heavy stuff and they are muddy as ****.

Before my rg2750 I've had a crappy old Yahama Pacifica for like 6 years which came along with Seymour Duncan pickups and to be honest I think they sounded much much better, at least they were good for playing clean stuff.

So I want to change my Dimarzio/Ibz 's and I wanted to see if anybody has any advice as to what I should go for. I want something that would sound really smooth but heavy at the same time. I think the best way to describe what I would like would be a mixture of a smooth but maybe even heavier Pantera and Marty Friedman sound :l

i have a 2750EVSL. crunch lab / liquifire. i didn't swap out the middle SC, but it is still functional. they really opened up the guitar.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have a 2750EVSL. crunch lab / liquifire. i didn't swap out the middle SC, but it is still functional. they really opened up the guitar.

Love the Crunch Lab.

To me it sounds like a tighter version of the Duncan JB. All the big open chords and shit under a lot of gain just shine right through.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Quote by bloodangel619
My yamaha is an HSS.You forgot that I'm changing my Ibanezs pickups my Ibanez rg is an HSH so the jazz would fit.

yep i'm an idiot Sorry
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?