Idk, maybe placement etc?
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Have you ever tried mic'ing a guitar cab?
More or less the same rules apply.

Don't point it to your mouth directly and keep it more or less at the same distance .
Pay attention to that, that's a thing people usually don't pay attention to and they end sounding funny.
Not funny in a good way though.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Live or recording? Dynamic mic or condenser? Different technique and mic choices for different reasons.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Live, I have no choice of mic. its a school talent show
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
When you sing louder, move the mic away from your mouth. Sing into the mic, not near it. 'Bout it really if you're just wanting basics.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Find a good distance away from the mic where the vocals start to clean up but still sound pretty clear, otherwise they usually pick up too much mouth movement, spit, S's, etc. And find a good distance to back away when you yell and always back away about that much to keep the sounds consistent (if you yell or whatever)
Decepticons everywhere, decepticons everywhere.
1-2" from your mouth for best live performance. If it's not your personal mic, don't touch that germ bomb to your mouth.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

It will probably be a close field stage mic like an SM58. Except when you are screaming really loud, stick your mouth right up against it. They are designed that way to minimise feedback. You gotta swallow the mike. This is why I don't like using house mikes and replace it with my own, you don't who has been spitting into it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Don't cup it or the sound guy will murder you.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Or vomit on it. They hate it when you do that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
also, do you think i will need to mic my peavey vk 112 here? https://focus.mnsun.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/F228nwSubstance1.jpg thats the exact place i am performing
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Yeah you will.
But they probably have a sound guy so if he's half decent he'll be able to do that for you if you ask nicely.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I don't need to mic the drums though, right? and i might just have the bass go directly line in to the pa because my friends amp is solid state
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Mic the bass drum if you can, and maybe the hihats.
For the bass guitar, if you're gonna DI, use a DI box or if the amp has DI use that, doesn't matter if it's solid state.
Silverburst
Quote by 457undead
I don't need to mic the drums though, right? and i might just have the bass go directly line in to the pa because my friends amp is solid state
The second part may work.
I'd mic the drums too, just to be sure.
You no, sure that people can hear it.

So yeah, unless it's a particular hassle to do that, do that.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I don't know if they will have enough mics

honestly im not sure
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Let this serve as a lesson to you - buy your own mikes. Don't rely on the house to provide the things that you need yourself. You need your own vocals mic to prevent hepatitis and you need your own amp mike so you can just set it up and just hand the cable to the sound guy saying, "here's my guitar."
It is always a good idea to mike up your guitar amp. Most times they don't turn my guitar amp up in FoH (they mix everything to keep up with me. ) but you have to give him the option if he needs to. Shit happens.
As for the drums, how I often do that is; one mic on the kick drum and another part way between the hihat and the snare. You move it around until you get an acceptable balance between hats and snare. You are better of with a mic on each but if you have to compromise that's how I do it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 25, 2014,
Quote by 457undead

Given that the venue you showed has a drum shield on the riser, it's a fair guess they regularly mic the drums and thus probably have plenty of mic's.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by 457undead
The bass amp is solid state? That's not an issue, most of the best bass amps are solid state. They just make 'em big. ie my bass player's amp is 800W. It's got a single tube in the preamp but otherwise it's solid state. With bass, the issue isn't what technology they use, it's mostly about size.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
First gig ever? Mics for vocals only unless the sound tech chooses something else. Just go in and play awesome and let the tech geeks worry about the tech stuff. It will be great!

After you have 100 gigs under your belt and a sound company with engineer, then mic out the instruments for a final mix.

Quote by Cathbard
The bass amp is solid state? That's not an issue, most of the best bass amps are solid state. They just make 'em big. ie my bass player's amp is 800W. It's got a single tube in the preamp but otherwise it's solid state. With bass, the issue isn't what technology they use, it's mostly about size.

Oh, so its different than a guitar amp?
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Very much so. Bass players and guitarists need different things from their amps.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification