hi, i'm going to buy my first guitar pedals and i would like some of your advices. For sure, i'l buy a wah pedal, probably a dunlop.

I'm a big frusciante fan and i would like to make my guitar "scream" like he does on some of his solo (before the begining, dani california). So what pedal should i buy?

ps: i'm ready to pay the right price if needed
I think we need a more specific example (time on the song/video?). I heard everything from feedback to octavers to just playing high notes.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Tons of feedback. You don't need a specific pedal but a parked wah and a lot of volume helps.
3 pedals you should absolutely look at for Froosh - Boss DS2 (MIJ if you can get your hands on one), a Zvex Fuzz Factory and a Big Muff. I'm not sure what amp you have, if you have some piece of shit amp then don't worry too much about pedals, but if you're running into a decent amp that takes pedals well, you should definitely check out these 3. For solos like Dani California, run the Big Muff into the DS2 for that really thick sound.

For a wah, check out the Ibanez WH10v2 if you can.
Last edited by slickerthnsleek at Apr 25, 2014,
I think he used an english muff'n more than a muff, either way, as the others said, lots of amp volume / feedback will give you the sustain needed.
The man's pedalboard was ridiculous:

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
The man's pedalboard was ridiculous:

When I see boards like that, I tend to think the players might be a bit ignorant. A Line 6 M13 and/or a Strymon Mobius and/or a TC Nova System could replace most of that and probably sound better too.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
When I see boards like that, I tend to think the players might be a bit ignorant. A Line 6 M13 and/or a Strymon Mobius and/or a TC Nova System could replace most of that and probably sound better too.

but then you can't stack them all into each other... Lololol

but seriously, ignorant? Nah man what "sounds better" is subjective. That's what he likes so that is what he uses. I'd use that board before a few multi effects personally and I'm sure as hell nor ignorant. Its just personal preference. And he's rich enough to lug that everywhere so why not? Go froosh

bit yeah English muffin, high bend, parked way etc OP
Quote by Offworld92

Yeah except John isn't a trend follower and actually thinks for himself, therefore no Strymon. He only had that crazy board towards the end. The majority of the Chili Pepper's songs/tours used nowhere near that much.

And if you think his last board was big, check out what Josh Klinghoffer (their new guitarist) uses.
Quote by Offworld92

You don't know why he has all that. John Frusciante is a legend with an insane back catalogue so half of those pedals may be used for an intense effect on one song. I have a relatively small pedalboard but I've got a Delay which is set for one song and that's it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Two Piece band's Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TerrorpinBand

I just like to imagine that my neighbors enjoy their free, nightly concerts.
Quote by Offworld92

I don't know about that. All of that Moog firepower would be very difficult to replicate with any other equipment, and my understanding is that he did indeed use all of them on several tracks. Some of the stuff could be replaced (assuming that those pedals are all stock and not modified), but nothing but a Moog really sounds like a Moog.
Being a great player doesn't mean you're on the up and up about gear. That's probably true a majority of the time as well.

I mean, he uses a Boss DS-2. Which should say enough.

I'm obviously biased, as I don't like his tone, or his playing in particular. It's just not my style at all.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Being a great player doesn't mean you're on the up and up about gear. That's probably true a majority of the time as well.

I mean, he uses a Boss DS-2. Which should say enough.

I'm obviously biased, as I don't like his tone, or his playing in particular. It's just not my style at all.

LOL. Did you see his pedalboard, do you know how many effects he has been through over the years? I'd wager he knows more about gear than everyone who has commented on this thread combined.

The DS2 is an MIJ used in conjunction with the Fuzz Factory, Big Muff/English Muff'n depending on era, through Marshall Major/Silver Jubilee amps (as well as some others). Don't just go 'oh he has a BOSS he has shit gear and knows nothing' because that is just not the case.
I'm not attacking Boss. I use Boss. My board is right there in my sig, pubilc knowledge.

I've had several MIJ Boss pedals. The CS-3 I'm using now is MIJ. The "MIJ" is all hype. Complete hype machine.

Him using a Big Muff does back up the point I was trying to make before you drew it out into something else though.

The guy has unlimited funds and resources. But he sticks to huge name dirts. He is entitled to his taste, but most people who are gearheads seek out and find alternatives or derivatives that are better than the originals in terms of control or tone. EX: My Earthquaker Hoof can destroy any Muff out there. Historically, he hasn't seemed to really experiment much with lesser known brands. Nothing really out of the ordinary in his repertoire. It's that that leads me to speculate that he's not a gearhead on that front. Which can go hand in hand with not experimenting with modern MFX.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Maybe he just has that shit, likes it and doesn't feel like spending time making new shit work?

Saying that Boss MIJ is all hype, then saying that he's a fool for not using lesser known pedal brands, particularly for drives, is a bit silly. How many Internet sensation drive pedals have turned out to be pure hype?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Regardless of him being 'a gearhead' or not, the man has produced some great music that appealed to a lot of people over the years, especially his solo work IMO, and though he may be regarded as 'ignorant' in the sense that he doesn't endlessly trawl youtube demos and gear forums like the rest of us; its certainly not fair to see that as a negative thing. Comfort can often hinder creativity, having the perfect rig is not the meaning of life, and I think the majority of us could certainly take a leaf out of John's book and go make some cool sounds with our 'shitty' big-brand mass produced pedals and ultimately have a lot more fun than sitting at our computers waiting for the next 'answer' in a pedal to arrive in our mailbox.
Yep, I agree completely. The whole gear craze has gotten completely out of hand in my opinion. If the boutique thing ever dies out I would be a very happy man, but in the mean time I just try to ignore it. It just sucks when you post a picture of your board with Boss and MXR on it and the corksniffers automatically assume you don't know anything about gear or having good tone.
Quote by Offworld92

Strymon and the M series didn't exist when that board was developed.

Line 6 and Strymon don't have good models of the English Muff'n, any of those 7 Moog pedals (unless one is the delay), the WH10, the Guyatron, and arguably several of those other pedals.

If you've seen any of the synth racks and production on any of Frusciante's solo albums from the last 6-7 years it's very clear that he knows what's going on with gear. He's got weirdly specific taste so I can see why you'd make the assumptions you do, but they're not correct.
Quote by 757ian123
Yep, I agree completely. The whole gear craze has gotten completely out of hand in my opinion. If the boutique thing ever dies out I would be a very happy man, but in the mean time I just try to ignore it. It just sucks when you post a picture of your board with Boss and MXR on it and the corksniffers automatically assume you don't know anything about gear or having good tone.

Exactly. Surely Boss and MXR pedals sell for a reason and considering JUST HOW MANy pro users CONTINUE to use these pedals time and time again, it eludes me how anybody doubts their professional level.

And let's be honest, these pros have unlimited tone resources. They can affors whatever pedal they want so they have clearly picked what works for them.

Quote by Pacifica Ocean
Exactly. Surely Boss and MXR pedals sell for a reason and considering JUST HOW MANy pro users CONTINUE to use these pedals time and time again, it eludes me how anybody doubts their professional level.

And let's be honest, these pros have unlimited tone resources. They can affors whatever pedal they want so they have clearly picked what works for them.

A couple issues here... First off, as has been mentioned Boss and MXR pedals on pro boards are often vintage, Japanese-made, modded or all three. Second, pro players will often use a common, cheaper pedal for a live rig, since it can be easily replaced if necessary on tour, and then bring their favorite boutique, mojo pedals into the studio... Lastly, just because something sells a lot doesn't make it good. McDonald's sells more burgers than anybody else in the world, are they the best in the world?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
A couple issues here... First off, as has been mentioned Boss and MXR pedals on pro boards are often vintage, Japanese-made, modded or all three. Second, pro players will often use a common, cheaper pedal for a live rig, since it can be easily replaced if necessary on tour, and then bring their favorite boutique, mojo pedals into the studio... Lastly, just because something sells a lot doesn't make it good. McDonald's sells more burgers than anybody else in the world, are they the best in the world?

Okay... 1. I'm not sure if you have ever watched 'rig rundown' but almost everyone on that has at least a Boss pedal and less then half of them have been modded by Keeley or whoever. 2. Yes, they are easily replacable but why would people use them if they weren't gig-worthy? And 3. If something sells, then how is it not a good product? That just doesn't make sense. The objective of a product is to sell. And lastly, Boss or MXR pedals aren't the BEST. But my point was that they are good enough for pros and therefore people shouldn't be tone snobs about them.

You didn't answer my question.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I'm sorry for derailing, looking back I see that my posts were stupid and unnecessary.

I am definitely NOT trying to come off as a snob. I have no problem with big names whatsoever. I just find it a little strange that nothing on his board was small name.

I didn't realize how old the board was either. That makes a lot more sense that everything on it is big name. I'm dumb.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I think knowing offhand what year that pedalboard is from is a bit more demented than just assuming that picture was taken recently

That board is circa 2006 but it's basically just his board from 2002 with more Moogs. The availability and range of expensive, boutique pedals was a lot different in 2001-2 than it is now. Consider that the WH10/DS2 have been on his board now since 1990 and it becomes a little easier to see why he's not just swapping out pedals for whatever is new and improved.
Quote by tubetime86

This is so wrong. I guarantee you Frusciante doesn't break out a Wampler collection as soon as he gets in the studio. I know for a fact he used the DS-2 and others on the recordings. I doubt any other pro's do this either, they aren't trying to fool anyone. If they were worried about replacing pedals, they would carry multiple copies since money is no issue.
I'm no Frusciante expert, but my post is not 'so wrong' by any means. Live rigs are often quite different from studio rigs, pedals included. Re-read my post and notice my use of the word 'often.'

Considering some of the utter nonsense you've been spewing on this site in the last few months it's quite humorous to see you posting with such authority.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I suppose he uses what he uses because it gets him what he wants. And it could be worse. If you think Frusciante's pedal board is over the top, consider what The Edge of U2 plugs into during his gigs:

Now that is pedal addiction!
Quote by Offworld92
I'm sorry for derailing, looking back I see that my posts were stupid and unnecessary.

I am definitely NOT trying to come off as a snob. I have no problem with big names whatsoever. I just find it a little strange that nothing on his board was small name.

I didn't realize how old the board was either. That makes a lot more sense that everything on it is big name. I'm dumb.

All good man, I think a lot of people took more offense than necessary. Probably because frusciante is one of those love / hate guitarists, and the lovers will pounce at any opportunity to defend . I also don't think his 'tone' is that great a lot of the time, but I'm a huge fan of his phrasing and the way he plays rather than the specific effects he uses. Anyway in case there is any confusion TS; volume and feedback = sustain