I did my first guitar remodel a few years ago and it came out 50/50. It looks and sounds fantastic, but the intonation is off.

When I looked up the scale length for a Stratocaster neck I forgot that on mine there is a little bit after the first fret. I should have just put the bridge back where it was in the first place but I was young and it was my first build. Now when I tune it either the open chords or barre chords sound off.

I'm trying to fix it now and It looks like the only two option I have are
1. Buy an actual strat neck (which might not fit the body and will have to be custom painted again.
or
2. Move the bridge placement which will mean having to make a new pick guard and find someone who can drill it for me.

Neither option really works for me but not being able to play it at all isn't a great option either. Does anyone here have any suggestions? I've tried adjusting the bridge saddles but they can't move far enough.

More images at:
http://www.jimmyamerica.com/gallery/index.php?album=guitar

Have you tried flipping the saddles too? Sometimes it can give you that extra few mm you need
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
You could play around with your current neck pocket and sand and shim it.
Quote by Oman1095
You could play around with your current neck pocket and sand and shim it.

either this or take a little bit off the heel of the neck...should be a pretty easy fix
Didn't even think of that! I'm going to look into modifying the neck join and hopefully that should do the trick while letting me keep my custom paint job and scratch plate. Thanks for the suggestions!
I just finished up a strat body build with a kramer reverse hockey stick style neck. The neck needed to either have the heel trimmed or the body routed for a 1/4 inch difference. I ended up routing the neck pocket since it was a GFS closeout body that I paid $25 for. Worked perfect, just had to trim the pick guard for the deeper pocket. Intonation is spot on.
Hi,
I've just joined this forum because I have a similar problem, I think. I have an Aria XL and I'm looking to replace the neck with a solid maple one, which I have just bought. Now that I have the new neck, I can see that the fretboard on the old neck is slightly longer than the actual neck, while on the new neck, it's a flat finish. I'm guessing that if I fit the new neck as is, I'm going to have tuning problems because of the difference in lengths (about 3-4 mm, as far as I can tell). I'm further guessing that I'm going to have to 'profile' the new neck to fit. Would you agree or is there another way around this? Can't say I'm looking forward to chopping around a brand new neck!
Thanks in advance.
Quote by Tinman1711
Hi,
I've just joined this forum because I have a similar problem, I think. I have an Aria XL and I'm looking to replace the neck with a solid maple one, which I have just bought. Now that I have the new neck, I can see that the fretboard on the old neck is slightly longer than the actual neck, while on the new neck, it's a flat finish. I'm guessing that if I fit the new neck as is, I'm going to have tuning problems because of the difference in lengths (about 3-4 mm, as far as I can tell). I'm further guessing that I'm going to have to 'profile' the new neck to fit. Would you agree or is there another way around this? Can't say I'm looking forward to chopping around a brand new neck!
Thanks in advance.

Is it the same number of frets? The one with the longer fretboard may extend past the heel because it has more frets.
Last edited by Oman1095 at Apr 27, 2014,
Hi.
Both necks have 22 frets. I should also mention that the guitar has Floyd Rose.