I recently came across this acoustic guitar and I have no idea what it is since there is no name on the headstock. I played it for a while and all I know is that it sounds really good so I think it may be a decent quality instrument. I'm brand new to this forum so excuse anything i've done wrong when I post this! Thanks for any help you can give me!

http://imgur.com/a/3eD0Y
At first glance it looks like a Yamaha FG that's been modded. But that's just from the shape of the body and pickguard.
Yes I think that it is modded because the Cort tuners on the back don't match the original tuner holes, it just seems weird that there is not name on the headstock.
Quote by ccannon1
At first glance it looks like a Yamaha FG that's been modded. But that's just from the shape of the body and pickguard.

Me too, but I looked at some pics of vintage Yamahas, and the bridge looks wrong for that. Not sure about the headstock, it could predate the V shape, but again doesn't look quite right.
Is it possible this is a custom guitar? Or maybe someone replaced the bridge? The bridge, tuners, tusq and bridge pins are all made of metal which seems odd.
Quote by bstrato
Is it possible this is a custom guitar? Or maybe someone replaced the bridge? The bridge, tuners, tusq and bridge pins are all made of metal which seems odd.

I wouldn't put too much weight on easily replaceable things like saddles, nuts and tuners, they could have been changed any time.

Do you know how to check for laminated tops by looking at the edge of the soundhole? Look at the bass and treble side edges of the sound hole. If the timber grain looks continuous across the whole thickness, it is a solid top, if the core looks different to the outsides, like three-plywood, it is laminated.

It seems like an odd mix to me. No label, what seems to be a screwed-down bridge, and a Martin style backstrip. Something obscure from the "lawsuit" era?
Last edited by Tony Done at Apr 26, 2014,