Song 6
0 0%
Song 7
1 7%
Song 8
1 7%
Voters: 14.
So kawaii and shit

Here's what's up. I fell asleep, then woke up at 5 AM and realized I hadn't made this thread, found a relatively funny video and now I still have to write this bit. I don't know what to write here now, so... Something I really wanted to say...

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

I am retiring from UG, here's why:
No I'm not you fuckers!
Actually this is the REAL special announcement:

As suggested by chev311e, we're doing a "crazy covers" week. They may turn out to be not so crazy, but you never know.
The winning cover(s) will be bonus tracks on our compilation album.

More info to come, stay tuned.

The objective of this thread is to vote on the song you like the most, but remember: don't base your vote on the quality of the recording, base it on the content.

Here they are:

1 - "I Do" (Spoony_Bard)

2 - "Bleeps (But No Blops)" (nico_9550)

3 - "Excessive Rumination on the Nature of the Meat Oblong (Improvised)" (SaintVitus)

4 - "(Insert Track Title Here)" (FoOltz)

5 - "A Suitable Replacement (If Ever There Was One)" (whywefight)

6 - "Leisure" (Joshua1207)

7 - "Doubt" (Scarmadillo)

8 - "The Friend Zone" (chev311e)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's last week's most voted song, from chev311e, it's "The Last Hold"!
------------------------------------------------------------------

If you too want to become a better songwriter/gigolo consider joining our group (http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/mozartfactory/), all the info you need to join this weekly "contest" is there.

The votes will be counted this Monday. The winner of this week's voting will become a mod in our group.

------------------
Jesus...

Check out last week's thread here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1641051

-----------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: The voting is over! This week's winner is Spoony_Bard, with the song "I Do" with 6 votes!
(He'll be a mod on our group, until the next voting)

In second place, and the runner up, whywefight's song "A Suitable Replacement (If Ever There Was One)", with 4 votes!

Thank you all for voting (and participating)!
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at May 3, 2014,
Cool, nice reminder about the covers and I'm liking the participation rate. Will listen tomorrow.
I voted for A Suitable Replacement. I love the vibe, very the-bends-era-radioheady
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Holy shit the verse to wwf's song reminds exactly of Like a Hurricane by Neil Young.
****, I knew it reminded me of something.

I had a hard time writing lyrics so when I recorded vocals and it reminded me of something I couldn't think of I just thought, '**** it, it's probably reminding me of something completely different' and kept it.

Love that Neil Young song btw.
Haha yea it was driving me crazy, I knew it reminded me of something.

Anyways for me it was a toss up between yours and Fooltz's song, ended up going with his though.
1. nice blend of the piano and hard guitar, nice vocal harmony too. Liked the tune.
2. that was pretty weird. There was definitely blops in there. Not really into it, sorry.
3. also incredibly strange. but what do you expect from a guy named "uisayasdsdfgfdghf"
4. Loved it. Great guitar. Nice background vocals. Great name too!
5. Your vocal melody is exactly the same as Like a Hurricane by Neil Young. Not sure if thats legal.
6. amazing ending
7. it sounds like something robot pirates would listen to on christmas surprisingly liked it
8. great song. I like that you used a more natural voice for the chorus. You gonna put an album any time? I would buy it.

good week, voted for "The Friend Zone"

Edit: so I guess I'm not the only one who caught the Neil Young-ish song.
Last edited by ehbacon at Apr 26, 2014,
I'm going for Spoony Bard. The vocals in the first verse were a bit off, presumably because like you said in the group, they were a bit rushed. Great job otherwise. The chorus was catchy and sort of elegant at the same time which is great.
Quote by ehbacon

8. great song. I like that you used a more natural voice for the chorus. You gonna put an album any time? I would buy it.

good week, voted for "The Friend Zone"

Edit: so I guess I'm not the only one who caught the Neil Young-ish song.

Thanks, that means a lot and idk, I think I need Spoony's production skills before I make an album
Quote by nico_9550
Voted for I Do, it was really cool.

I don't use the word 'hero' lightly...

Quote by sickman411
I'm going for Spoony Bard. The vocals in the first verse were a bit off, presumably because like you said in the group, they were a bit rushed. Great job otherwise. The chorus was catchy and sort of elegant at the same time which is great.

Hero. Both of you.

Quote by chev311e
Thanks, that means a lot and idk, I think I need Spoony's production skills before I make an album

You're so nice to me. We should share a candle light dinner.

I really like your song. I'm a sucker for earnest acoustic solo stuff. And I'm glad I listened through to the ending.

Also, I like WWF's track a lot. Good singer. Slick vibrato.

And Scarm's is rockin too.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by Spoony_Bard
I don't use the word 'hero' lightly...

Hero. Both of you.

You're so nice to me. We should share a candle light dinner.

I really like your song. I'm a sucker for earnest acoustic solo stuff. And I'm glad I listened through to the ending.

Also, I like WWF's track a lot. Good singer. Slick vibrato.

And Scarm's is rockin too.

I'm so down right now. we should all get togehter and have one big jam session. probs wont happen but it would be awesome if it did. me sickman, fooltsz wwf, bacon nico, it would be awesome, yea im drunk now so im missing people, joshua too, but it would be cool.
Quote by chev311e
I'm so down right now. we should all get togehter and have one big jam session. probs wont happen but it would be awesome if it did. me sickman, fooltsz wwf, bacon nico, it would be awesome, yea im drunk now so im missing people, joshua too, but it would be cool.

I Do - Great song. I like the contrasts on the song. First there's that sweet piano intro and then you go into some fast heavy metal and the two pieces blend together really great. Also there's the contrast between the lyrics and the instrumental. I mean, if we take the chorus out of context ('Becasue of you I do everything I do') it sounds like something written by the Beatles (or Bryan Adams, whatever) but it sounds really good over those hard riffs.

Bleeps (But No Blops)
- I think it's a 'build-up piece'. You know, the stuff you do before the song is ready to 'explode'. I'm not really that into experimental stuff (not because I dislike it but I just didn't get the chance to listen to more) so that would explain why this isn't exactly for me. I think it sounds good but I feel like the song doesn't 'take off'.

Excessive Rumination on the Nature of the Meat Oblong (Improvised) - Damn that's a long title. Some parts in the song reminded me of Jimmy Page's Violin Bow Guitar Solo from 'Dazed and Confused' in 'The Song Remains the Same DVD'. I don't know exactly how you obtained some of those sounds but they sound sweet.

(Insert Track Title Here) - A lot of potential, the melody sounds interesting and I kinda like the guitar sound. However, it's really frustrating that your voice is so low in the mix because as I said the melody sounds good and if your voice was louder I think I would've enjoyed it a lot more. But the voice still sounds good.

A Suitable Replacement (If Ever There Was One) - I don't know if I can explain this but I like the fact that your voice is louder than the instrumental because it creates this thing where you don't know exactly what's being played and you can enjoy it even more because it elevates the whole song and you can focus on the melody more (did that make any sense?). Also, I love the drums.

Leisure
- It sounds like an anime soundtrack at some points, or some nintendo 8bit game (it's a good thing). I don't have much to say about it other than the fact that it's a great song, I like the production too.

Doubt - For some reason when that heavy riff kicked in I kept thinking about Nightwish (or any other symphonic metal band). I like that 20+ seconds intro because it kinda prepared me for the rest of the song. I knew what I was getting into. You managed to keep me interested the whole time whithout going into some weird progressive stuff or even doing that much in the song (not saying it's lazy, you know what I mean) - I feel like the song has the kind of (simple) riff where you're surprised that nobody thought of it before (in the same category as 'Whole Lotta Love', 'Satisfaction', ' Come as you are', etc.). Also, great production.

The Friend Zone - Great melody, I dig the guitar, if there were some drums at the end there when the electric guitar kicks in it would've been so awesome, but it's great nonetheless. The major turn-off for me were the lyrics. Not because they were bad or anything (I really like some lines) but the main topic doesn't do anything for me, I don't know how to put it into words, it's just that this subject doens't appeal to me.

Overall, great songs from everyone. (I feel like the instrumental songs are in a bit of a disadvantage in these 'competitions' because I think people tend to vote for songs with vocals - but maybe that's just my opinion).

P.S.:My vote went to 'I Do'
Quote by SirZep
I feel like the song has the kind of (simple) riff where you're surprised that nobody thought of it before (in the same category as 'Whole Lotta Love', 'Satisfaction', ' Come as you are', etc.).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1U1Ue_5kq8

(Kurt Cobain initially didn't want to put Come as You Are on the album because he thought it sounded too much like this song.)

Anyway, it's pretty cool that you made these reviews!
Ow, I remember now reading about how 'Come as you are' was a rip-off. Well, I guess I should cross that out.
Quote by SirZep
I feel like the instrumental songs are in a bit of a disadvantage in these 'competitions' because I think people tend to vote for songs with vocals - but maybe that's just my opinion

Ok, I just checked the compilation albums on Bandcamp and counted the number of instrumentals and songs with vocals, and there are 32 songs with vocals vs. 15 instrumentals, so you might be right. But in the first album there were actually more instrumentals, and the vocals-to-instrumentals ratio has been increasing. And even in the first album, the instrumentals were mostly the second-place songs.

But maybe the number of songs with vocals has increased in general, I don't know.

EDIT: 6 instrumentals have won so far: To End It (Damn), Room Temperature, Blue Sky, More Equal, Solitude and Dangerous Choices.
Last edited by sickman411 at Apr 27, 2014,
Yea thanks for the review Zep. About the lyrics, I was just having fun with them mostly as a joke lol

Oh and sorry guys about my drunken message last night
if it keeps you from drunk texting your ex girlfriends
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
SirZep has been upgraded from "Hero" to "Legend" status.

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

>¦<
¦
Quote by ehbacon
lol if it was possible it would be cool but I don't think so

Everything is possible

Edit: Spoony_Bard what synths did you use for I Do? They sound really good
Last edited by nico_9550 at Apr 27, 2014,
Quote by nico_9550
Edit: Spoony_Bard what synths did you use for I Do? They sound really good

Hay thanks! Glad to hear that they sound nice.

Most of the synths are instrument patches that came with Cubase. The main one is just a strings patch + choir patch laid on top of each other. You can pretty much take any type of orchestral or pad preset from any synth and tweak it to make it sound more subtle and natural rather than 80s cheesy.

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

>¦<
¦
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Hay thanks! Glad to hear that they sound nice.

Most of the synths are instrument patches that came with Cubase. The main one is just a strings patch + choir patch laid on top of each other. You can pretty much take any type of orchestral or pad preset from any synth and tweak it to make it sound more subtle and natural rather than 80s cheesy.

Great, thanks m8