Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I am stuck between getting a used mesa/boogie dual rec roadster or a new EVH 5150 iii. I currently use a Peavey vypyr 120 watt tube amp. The amp has terrible feedback at stage volumes so I need to upgrade to a different amplifier. Check out my YouTube channel "atallguy124" and listen to my guitar solos such as my "Scarified" cover. Will either of these amps I'm considering give me a similar sustaining lead tone and non-mushy palm mutes? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
For paul gilbert I'd take the mesa.
If it wasn't for paul gilbert I'd take the EVH.

It'd be helpful if you described the stuff you wanna play a bit more in depth.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I play a lot of Gilbert, Vai, Satriani and a HUGE range of rock due to my job as an instructor School of Rock. Metallica tones is a must because I'm in a Metallica Cover band. I also want to be able to have Pantera tones. Basically anywhere from classic rock to heavy metal.
I played a Vypyr 120H for a while. Your problem isn't normal and isn't good grounds for needing to upgrade.

If you want a new amp, all power to you, we all do. But just make sure you're not making up excuses for it.

Have you retubed the Vypyr?

Also based on what you play I HIGHLY recommend a Peavey JSX over a Mesa or EVH. I had a JSX for a while and that amp BREATHES that virtuoso style tone. It's like it was built for that. (Well, not just "like" it was, haha.)
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Apr 26, 2014,
Sounds to me like you've got microphonic power tubes (or the phase inverter) in your Vyper. Do the pencil tap test on them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you're looking for a new amp, which is the question you asked about, a 5150 is (I think) more versatile and more reliable and just a better overall amp.

Actually I attend AND teach at the School of Rock north of Chicago and I think for the range of things that you might play, the 5150 is your best option.

However, the aforementioned consideration towards the functionality of your amp shouldn't be ignored, so try fixing that first.

Good luck
The Roadster is probably just as versatile if not more so than the EVH. TS, as everyone has said, you need to figure out what is causing the feedback, that isn't normal.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Your amp should be able to withstand stage volume without feedback. I was able to sit right in front of one at Guitar Center, turn it to a pretty saturated high gain tone, and play at high volumes without feedback. This was on the 60 so the 120 should be fine...with your tone being that sweet, I'd just look into fixing the issue. It's probably pretty simple.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I appreciate all of this quick feedback. I love my Peavey Vypyr, but I guess I should add that I'm looking to upgrade to a full tube amp to replace the Vypyr's digital qualities. I'm going to take the Vypyr to my local Peavey experts, and see what they say about the feedback and see if they can fix it. It's just strange that both my 120 and 75 watt Vypyrs do this! Any continued advice is appreciated, I'm pretty new to the world of amplifiers because I got my vypyrs when I was young.
Don't bother with a tech yet... Turn the amp up loud and tap on each tube with the eraser of a pencil... If the 'tap' comes through the speaker then that's very likely your problem. Replace that tube and you're good. It's called a 'microphonic preamp tube' and is one of the most common causes for issues with tube amps, though it's actually just the result of a bad tube not the amp.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I'd say the Mesa is a good bit more versatile, but the 5150 III is definitely more the sound you want for Paul Gilbert. The Roadster is looser and bigger sounding, not the Gilbert sound at all.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by gunsnroses109
I appreciate all of this quick feedback. I love my Peavey Vypyr, but I guess I should add that I'm looking to upgrade to a full tube amp to replace the Vypyr's digital qualities. I'm going to take the Vypyr to my local Peavey experts, and see what they say about the feedback and see if they can fix it. It's just strange that both my 120 and 75 watt Vypyrs do this! Any continued advice is appreciated, I'm pretty new to the world of amplifiers because I got my vypyrs when I was young.

Have you tried a different guitar? Are you running the preamp gain really high?
Microphonic tubes, or just too much gain. There are practical limits between great hi gain tone and massive feedback. If this is a new problem while you have always been at the same gain settings and volume.. it's the pre tubes.

Between your two choices I would get the Mesa. Higher build quality and a tad tighter tone IMO.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
In that case, the Mesa Boogie Roadster. I've tested the head+Mesa 4x12 and the 2x12 combo, and I could definitely see myself rocking one of either them down the road.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
Quote by diabolical
Mesa for me, but look into the smaller Mesa Micro Rectifier - I think it was 40 watts and maybe can afford one new?
Mini rectifier.
25w powered by EL84s.
The roadster sounds plain better.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Have you guys even played a Roadster? I mean, I LOVE mine... but it's completely the wrong tone for Paul Gilbert, Satriani, Iron Maiden, Guns 'N Roses, etc...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by diabolical
Sorry I meant 5:50

The 5:50 (and the whole Express series) sounds nothing like a Recto.

Their description on the website mentions Rectifier sounds, but it's complete B.S.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Have you guys even played a Roadster? I mean, I LOVE mine... but it's completely the wrong tone for Paul Gilbert, Satriani, Iron Maiden, Guns 'N Roses, etc...

This... I'm thinking the JSX (as mentioned) or the 5150 III... Hell, a Carvin Legacy would be good too, or even the V3
Quote by diabolical
Sorry I meant 5:50
That's even worse
The one I tried had enough gain to play high gain blues, no more.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by dementiacaptain
This... I'm thinking the JSX (as mentioned) or the 5150 III... Hell, a Carvin Legacy would be good too, or even the V3

I was thinking about coming in here and suggesting the Legacy. I personally would probably veto the V3. I use a V3 and he could probably get reasonably close with it, but I think that he could get closer with other amps in the same price bracket. I love the amp, but I really don't think it's quite right for the tones he's looking for.
I'm beginning to think I might just have too much gain then. Because both my 120 tube vypyr and 75 solid state vypyr both do it. I'll tweak with it a bit and see if I can solve the problem. What are your thoughts on the peavey 6505+ vs the EVH 5150 iii?
Quote by gunsnroses109
I'm beginning to think I might just have too much gain then. Because both my 120 tube vypyr and 75 solid state vypyr both do it. I'll tweak with it a bit and see if I can solve the problem. What are your thoughts on the peavey 6505+ vs the EVH 5150 iii?

Again, have you tried another guitar/cable?
Between the 6505+ and the 5150 III, I would go with the 5150 III. It can go from great 80s centric high gain (Van Halen, hair metal, GNR, etc.), to modern metal, plus sport some sweet cleans with plenty of warmth and sparkle. The 6505+ is tweakable for a few great sounds, but somewhat more limited. It's clean sound is inferior without extra effects to take out some of the dry sterility. It has wonderfully rude high gain that works for most of your typical dropped C metal though.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
I have tried all of my guitars and plenty of cables, so I basically narrowed it down to being my amplifiers. After work today, I went into the rehearsal room and cranked my 75w vypyr and simply lowered the pre and post gain controls. It seemed to help, but my tone was just a bit more thin from the loss of gain. If I were to purchase a new amp, I think I'm personally leaning towards the 5150 iii 50w head and 2x12 cab, even though I fear the volume drop between channels 1 and 2. Still seems to be a great amp. Haven't tried playing any Metallica on one before though, so I'd just have to go try it out again.
Quote by gunsnroses109
What "digital qualities" would those be? The preamp of a Vyper is analog. They have digital effects but the modeling isn't part of that. If you don't turn on the effects, it's all analog.

Try tapping the tubes and see if you can hear it through the speakers. If you do change it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The 5150 III 50 watter is dope, it should certainly do 'Tallica. If you have tried different cables and guitars, it makes me think that it's either tubes, an interference/dirty power problem, or something with you settings is just inherently noisy. I'm assuming you aren't playing right in front of the amp? That'd do it too...

In any case, I think you would be happy with EVH, and the matching cab sounds really good too.
Thanks for all of the advice guys! This was my first post on UG so it's nice to see how helpful it is.
The 5150iii it will go as heavy as you want and has a nice clean channel. A good tube in v5 (half of the clean channel) i have a mullard and in the phase I have a sovtek 12ax7lps it has less floor noise than the JJ.
Quote by dementiacaptain

Can definitely +1 the Legacy. Not so sure about the V3, but it's definitely worth checking out.

And I reiterate: JSX. For the tones you want I would take it over a Mesa or EVH in a heartbeat. It was designed with Satriani, after all (and the Legacy was designed with Vai). The Legacy to my ears doesn't have that crazy sweet compression the JSX has that makes it so fluid and smooth. But I haven't spent any real amount of time with one either (opposed to having actually owned the JSX).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Turn the gain down. There's no point in cranking the gain (and you usually need less gain than you think). Sounding heavy is not all about having lots of gain. Try to find the spot when you don't sound "heavy enough" any more and then turn the gain up just a bit. You don't need more gain than that. Because after that it just adds mud to your sound.

Also, don't stand too close to your amp.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MatrixClaw

This is SO true. I had a Roadster for 2 years and while I loved it, I really wouldn't use it for any of what you're doing.

The first amp that came to my mind was the Mark V. It'll do practically anything if you've got the patience to learn to dial it in right.

Other choices:
Peavey JSX
Carvin V3M
Marshall JVM410HJS
Marshall Vintage Modern
Laney GH50L
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'd say the Mesa is a good bit more versatile, but the 5150 III is definitely more the sound you want for Paul Gilbert. The Roadster is looser and bigger sounding, not the Gilbert sound at all.

I figured someone had to post this before I did, not surprised at all it was MatrixClaw. Funny enough I recently A/B'ed these two amps. Through the same cab these amps can be dialed in to sound fairly similar but for Pablo type of stuff I'd lean toward the 5150. You could always run the Roadster with Diodes but it's not really voiced for that very articulate light-mid gain bite that you'd hear from Pablo.
Nice playing brother!

I'm thinking the 5150III would be pretty awesome for you, based on the sound you have dialed on the Vypyr
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Page 1 of 2