How am I suppose to practice scales? For example if i want learn the major scale do i just play the scale pattern, say for c major, over over until my fingers have memorized that pattern and then move on to another note and do the same until I've memorized all the note patterns for the major scale? After that do I just move onto another scale and do the same? Sorry if this doesnt make sense. I'm new to scales.
There are a couple of different ways to think of doing scales.
The first, (and likely the best) is to think of this as a "learning the fretboard" exercise. In this, you would not only play the individual scale patterns, you'd name the notes as you play them, get the sound of the individual notes in your head (many people actually sing the notes as they are played), thus eventually not only be able to play desired notes all over the fretboard, but also to be able improvise freely and, if desired, sight-read them from a sheet.

Or.... You can just think of playing scales as a fingering/picking exercise to improve your picking skills and finger independence.
This will still have some benefit as far as playing/improvising, especially if you pay attention to the actual sounds and their relationships instead of just mechanically repeating patterns.
Im trying to create my own arrangements in fingerstyle so what scale do you reccommend i learn first?
Pentatonic minor scale is good place to start, as it fits neatly with the blues or rock. There are five separate patterns for each key, and is fairly easy to learn. Justinguitar .com has a tutorial also this site. Cheers
Pentatonic scales are very versatile, and work well in a variety of styles.
But there is no "one" scale to practice.
When you're composing or figuring out an arrangement, the notes chosen have to correspond to the key of the song you're writing, and the chord changes you plan to use.
If the piece you're writing is in, say, the key of "G", and your chord progression was a very common 1-4-5 progression (G, C, and D), then you'd use notes extracted from the "G" "C" and "D" scales.
That's just to start... the most basic notions.

If you want to get into this sort of thing, you need to learn how chords are extracted from scales, how scales are "harmonized" to create chord progressions, and the ways that chords can be extended and altered and inverted....
Should keep you busy for a while, there's plenty of basic music theory online.