I recently got interested in getting a guitar with a sustainer pick up, either Fernandes or Sustainiac. I play no metal, but otherwise pretty eclectic. I do slow solos rather than fast shreds, where I think a sustainer could really be useful. Lately I've been gravitating to a semihollow guitar with jazzy/bluesy twang.

I cannot seem to find any semihollow with sustainer. I am not finding this, these are mostly found in guitars that seem designed for metal. Anyone know why this is, and if a sustainer in a semihollow might be a good project? Any reason the brighter tones would not work well with sustainer?

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
You'll get a much much better response in the Guitar Gear and Accessories sub-forum
Dunno about that, I saw this post in here and I have no clue. I'm guessing there's some reason they're not on semi-hollows, but then again they're not terribly common even on solidbodies, so

(obviously there are more people than me in G G&A, it's entirely possible some of the other regulars, or even some of the lurkers, might know the answer, you might as well ask.)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
FYI, I did some more Google searching on this, and found a FAQ on a website for manufacturer of sustainer pickup (maybe fernandes, maybe sustainiac, I've forgotten, it was yesterday) and it said something about feedback issue apparently being worse for semi-hollow or hollow guitar. I guess all the extra "bright" jangly noise you get with those guitars worsens the feedback issue, if I understood what they were saying (YMMV).

So if I understood the FAQ, this explains why you do not find sustainer pick ups on semihollow or hollow, and maybe not even on "bright" solid body guitars, so they may be more suited for metal.

Then again...if this is right, then it would seem that a sustainer might work really well on a baritone guitar. I mean, you could take this even further and say, "gee, it should be even better on bass," but of course there's a reason you don't play chords as a general rule on bass, because those really low frequencies turn to mushy noise when you overlap them, works better as single notes. So the whole beauty of sustainer pickup -- which I think is for some really cool harmonizing options -- would sound like crap on bass.

But does the same go for baritone? I have never played a baritone, though I have been really curious to get one. I think -- but could be wrong -- you can get away with chords, harmonizing, on baritone more like regular guitar. I've seen baritone guitars where you are tuned down a whole octave, halfway between bass & guitar, and I've seen other baritone guitars that seem tuned down only about half an octave, like to A or so? in which case they are significantly closer to regular guitar than bass guitar. I'm guessing the ones tuned lower, like a whole octave, you might tend to play more like a bass and use more single notes and the ones tuned down to around A, you could play more chording and harmonizing, and those might work better with sustainer...

Hmmm... Lead me to wonder if they have semihollow baritone guitars, and what kind of tone those give. A semi-hollow baritone tuned to A or so with sustainer...well, it might exist or, then again, it might be a real one of a kind and the lower frequencies might help avoid feedback even with the jangly "color" that you get from having the semihollow body. Well, one day some one will try it and maybe post on Youtube what this sounds like, if it does not yet exist.

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
Quote by krm27
Stuff.
Ken

A sustainer pickup will not work with a hollow body or a semihollow, just as you said, it brings feedback issues. Trust me, ive tried. If you want a sustainer pickup but not have to use a "metal guitar" i would recommend more of a solid body Gibson style guitar.

And no, it wont matter if the guitar is a baritone guitar either. The sole reason why you are getting uncontrollable feedback is because it is a hollowed/semihollowed guitar, that is the big drawback with hollowbody guitars.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
yeah i was going to say that actually the other day (after i did my first post) but then forgot

you already sometimes have problems with feedback with hollows/semis so adding something which will make it worse might not be the best plan. Plus you normally fit them in the neck position (right?) and most semi hollows/hollow guitars benefit from a regular neck pickup since that tone is used a lot in jazz/blues and the like.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah i was going to say that actually the other day (after i did my first post) but then forgot

you already sometimes have problems with feedback with hollows/semis so adding something which will make it worse might not be the best plan. Plus you normally fit them in the neck position (right?) and most semi hollows/hollow guitars benefit from a regular neck pickup since that tone is used a lot in jazz/blues and the like.

Indeed. I would not recommend putting a sustainer in a hollowbody. Since (like you mentioned) they are often fitted in the neck position, where you typically want a good warm pickup if you are playing blues or jazz.

And also as mentioned, the feedback issues. I mean, at high volumes in small gig spaces i am having enough trouble finding an angle so that my Ibanez LGB30 doesnt feedback when i add a little bit of overdrive to it and playing at high volume.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Yeah.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?