I've got an Epiphone LP100 that I use for when I go over a friends house, or other occasions like that (I don't want to bring my higher end guitars out). From the factory it's had a fret buzz, but I changed the strings and now its got a wicked buzz everywhere on the fret board. I didn't touch anything when I changed the strings.

Action at the 12th fret, all frets open it is 3/16" across the board. First fret is 1/8" across the board, and 22nd fret is 1/8" across the board. Could it just be too high and that's causing buzzing (I really don't see how that could be possible).

It always had a slight buzz, actually it was pretty bearable, but now it's just annoyingly present, and pretty damn annoying.

I will get a relief measurement soon, but the neck looks averagely bowed upwards.

Anything else I should check? If needed I can upload pictures.
Last edited by quadracer92 at Apr 26, 2014,
Buzz all over the fretboard sounds like too low action but you said your action is pretty high and neck looks OK. It could be your frets.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Wait, how could it be bowed upwards when the action at the middle of the neck is higher than action at the first and last fret???
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Last edited by Archer250 at Apr 27, 2014,
Ok screw all these fancy measurements, raise the hell out of your bridge to where there is no buzz, then lower it to right before it starts buzzing again. If the action is too high after you do this, and your neck is relatively straight, then you probably have a fret problem.
Quote by blackleo89
Ok screw all these fancy measurements, raise the hell out of your bridge to where there is no buzz, then lower it to right before it starts buzzing again. If the action is too high after you do this, and your neck is relatively straight, then you probably have a fret problem.

I figured this, but what would be wrong with the frets? Dividers too tall?

Thanks for the help so far, any more would be greatly appreciated. Thanks as well MaggaraMarine.

Archer, I think you have it mixed up. Action towards the middle should be higher when the neck is bowed up.

Edit, could it be that my neck is shimmed to high and the buzzing (on any fret) is coming from the higher frets?
Quote by quadracer92
I figured this, but what would be wrong with the frets? Dividers too tall?

Thanks for the help so far, any more would be greatly appreciated. Thanks as well MaggaraMarine.

Archer, I think you have it mixed up. Action towards the middle should be higher when the neck is bowed up.

Edit, could it be that my neck is shimmed to high and the buzzing (on any fret) is coming from the higher frets?

hi. I've been running the setup thread and in threads at UG for about 10 years.

don't screw up your guitar.

instead fret the first fret on the Low E, at the same time,
fret the Lowe E on the last fret, where the neck and body meet.

now look at the middle frets 7-9th. does the string lay on the fret wire there when you do this?

check and post back.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565

now look at the middle frets 7-9th. does the string lay on the fret wire there when you do this?

check and post back.

And post pictures.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
well if you'd like pics that's fine i guess.

i just need him to measure post and post back so i can go over the next step.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Check action and all that...go and have the truss rod adjusted. Heaver gauge strings also help pull the neck. if the frets are not worn or sticking up, then if you stay within specs for action height, it is your neck....have it adjusted.

Good luck!
Quote by jj1565

check and post back.

It does not lay on the fret wire.

The action at the 7th fret with the first and last fret pressed is 1/8" dead on on both the high E and low E.
Quote by quadracer92
It does not lay on the fret wire.

The action at the 7th fret with the first and last fret pressed is 1/8" dead on on both the high E and low E.

Is that a guitar or an English longbow? Post pics. I really need to see this.
Gear:
This is really odd. I've set the action and intonated my Gibson and a few other fixed bridge guitars and did not have any problems.

It's way too high (I can tell just by feel, not to mention the numbers are pretty high), but it still rattles.

All the help so far is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Photo 1 is capo'd on the first fret and held down on the last fret, Photos 2 and 3 are open. Those are the 7th and 9th frets.
Attachments:
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
Last edited by quadracer92 at Apr 30, 2014,
Quote by quadracer92
This is really odd. I've set the action and intonated my Gibson and a few other fixed bridge guitars and did not have any problems.

It's way too high (I can tell just by feel, not to mention the numbers are pretty high), but it still rattles.

All the help so far is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Photo 1 is capo'd on the first fret and held down on the last fret, Photos 2 and 3 are open. Those are the 7th and 9th frets.

That's really high, and that's a LOT of relief. Your neck would look like an English longbow if photo 1 is actually fretted at the first and last frets. At this point, I think it's the frets, but I think you might want to straighten the neck first.
Gear:
Quote by Archer250
That's really high, and that's a LOT of relief. Your neck would look like an English longbow if photo 1 is actually fretted at the first and last frets. At this point, I think it's the frets, but I think you might want to straighten the neck first.

I will definitely try that out, if it doesn't work out and you really do think it is the frets I'd rather just leave it for the time being, seeing as this is only a mess-around, out and about guitar.

Thanks a lot Epiphone, I didn't know something could come this poorly from the factory, however I've gotten a few pretty nice guitars from them.

On another note, could it be the weather change? It's been pretty rainy out recently, not to mention finally reaching 60's on average from this crappy winter and fake-spring we've been having, where it's mostly been 40's.
Could certainly be that. In fact, it's likely so that the neck's warped by the weather.
Gear: