I was going to post this over in Tab Talk but it made more sense to post here, as Tab Talk is more for posting requests for Tabs, and this challenges peoples musical lateral thinking (imo). So rather than requesting someone to post a tab, this is kind of like that process in reverse, where the tab gets posted first, and then I ask "if people can identify the original track"? (If I could provide some sort of score I would have (sorry notation lovers and Tab haters alike, but alas my skills aren't as strong in that department!).

There are 2 questions, albeit the second perhaps more important than the first???
The track, i'd say is well renowned within it's genre and depending on your music preference, that is where some may have simply never heard it before. That being the case, I have provided the answer to Question 1. for the "I don't get it club". But if you do manage to guess it without looking at the answer or prior knowledge, then well done! and more importantly if you are able, please post an answer to question 2.

Hecklers: Please guys keep that under wraps, I was hoping to challenge peoples ears/perspectives/lateral thinking a little, before just simply providing an answer to Question 1. (I just thought some people might enjoy the challenge, rather than just be so clinical and matter of fact about it all... BORING!!!)

okay
Q1: What is interesting about this piece of music (other than it sounds pretty cool).
(yes you actually have to learn the short piece to hear it, unless you can site read Tab - which some people can.)

and
Q2: Once Q1 is identified... Can you think of other instances where this has been used within the same RELATIVE Genre - or a closely related genre?
(I do believe it is common in another genre?? - Please see example in the answer section, beneath the Tab, but not before you've had a crack at identifying the original.)

IMPORTANT: Please DO NOT post your answer to Question 1. in your reply,
so as not to spoil it for others who may want to have a go identifying the original.

Count:approx 144 BPM 
(ie: one, 2, 3, 4, two, 2, 3...etc)
NB: note values sustain till next note.

1  &  2  &  3  &  4  &  |  2  &  2  &  3  &  4  &  |  3  &  2  &  3  &  4  &  |  4  &  2  &  3  &  4  &      
e |--------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------| 
B |--------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------| 
G |--9-----------------9-h11-|--9-----------------9-h11-|--11b12r11----9-------9h11p9\8----------(x)----------| 
D |--------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|-sl-----------9-----------| 
A |-(2)----------------------|-(12)---------------------|-(10)---------------------|-(9)----------------------| 
E |--0-----------0-----------|--10----------10----------|--8-----------8-----------|--7-----------------7-----| 

1  &  2  &  3  &  4  &  |  2  &  2  &  3  &  4  &  |  3  &  2  &  3  &  4  &  |  4  &  2  &  3  &  4  &   
e |--------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------| 
B |--8-----------------8-h10-|--8-----------------8-h10-|-/12----10----8-----10----|-/12----------------------| 
G |--9-----------------9-h11-|--9-----------------9-h11-|-/12----11----9-----------|--8-----------------------| 
D |--------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|--9-----------------------| 
A |-(2)----------------------|-(12)---------------------|-(10)---------------------|-(9)----------------------| 
E |--0-----------0-----------|--10----------10----------|--8-----------8-----------|--7-----------3-----2-----| 

B |--8-----------------8-h10-|--8-----------------8-h10-|-/12----10----8-----10----|-/12----------12----12----| 
G |--9-----------------9-h11-|--9-----------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------| 
D |--9-----------9-----------|--9-----------------9-h12-|--12b14r12----12b14r12----|--9-----------9-----9-----| 
E |--0-----------0-----------|--10----------10----------|--8-----------8-----------|--7-----------7-----------| 

1  &  2  &  3  &  4  &  |  2  &  2  &  3  &  4  &  |  3  &  2  &  3  &  4  &  |  4  &  2    &    3  &  4  &   
e |--15----------------15h17-|--15----------------15h17-|--17b19r17----17b19r17----|--15-----15h17p15-14~~~~~~~~~~| 
B |--17----------------17h19-|--17----------------17h19-|--19b20r19----19b20r19----|--17-----17h19p17-16~~~~~~~~~~| 
G |--------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|------------------------------| 
D |--9-----------------------|-(0)----------------------|--5-----------------------|--4----------4----------------| 
A |--7-----------------------|-(0)----------------------|--3-----------------------|--2----------2----------------| 
E |-(0)----------------------|-(10)---------------------|-(8)----------------------|-(7)---------7----------------|
Q1: It is the intro to Metallica's song Blackened, (before it is reversed) for the ...And Justice For All album. (If you reverse the thirty second intro from the album, this is what you will hear). Now hopefully the Thread Title makes more sense. haha.

Q2: Perhaps you can think of another song that uses this effect/technique (ie: answering Question 2.)
There are plenty of songs that contain backwards guitar tracks/solos/effects etc... in them, but when reversed (again), they sound random and unstructured again,
(ie: Hendrix's All Along The Watch Tower Backwards Solo - reverse that section and it still sounds as unstructured as the rest of the song in reverse).

An example of a Genre that uses this technique:
From my recent understanding (as far as I know) the Classical Genre utilise this technique.
I recently saw examples of this being used when analysing works such as Canons???, where they flip/reverse/retrograde/repeat etc...parts of the score as a requirement for composing such works??? (but I could well be wrong as I know very little about this genre musically... mozart was the black guy right??... joking!)

So that is why I have asked for peoples suggestions to be from a more CLOSELY RELATED GENRE, such as rock, pop, blues, soul, jazz, country, whatever?

I'm just pointing out that I do believe "Classical Music" use this almost as a requirement for some writings so it is fairly common??? idk.

NB:
All Classical music buffs that want to right my wrongs please try and refrain from posting replys that strongly suggest the reversing concept as that also would spoil it for those wanting to have a go at working out what it might be.
Last edited by tonibet72 at Apr 26, 2014,