I bought an empty cabinet yesterday and its my first one ever. When I took the back off to look inside I noticed the part with the motherboard and sockets wasnt connected to the back.No big deal really, but I don't know which way I put it. Should the mother board be facing up or should the sockets be facing up? sorry if this seems confusing.
Motherboard? Last I checked cabs are just speakers, wire and jacks. What kind of cab is it?
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by MattBrockway
I bought an empty cabinet yesterday and its my first one ever. When I took the back off to look inside I noticed the part with the motherboard and sockets wasnt connected to the back.No big deal really, but I don't know which way I put it. Should the mother board be facing up or should the sockets be facing up? sorry if this seems confusing.

many newer cabinets have a printed circuit board (pcb) attached to the jackplate for various different connections. a picture of the pcb would help so we can tell you what you need to connect to it.

the brand and model of the cab wouldn't hurt either. what speakers are you trying to use, and is this a 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet?
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Its an older cab, I bought it used. its a Randall RA412XLT.Im going to put Eminence Swamp Thang's and Texas Heat's in it. I just don't want to hook it up mono and think I have it set up for stereo, ya know? so should it be facing like this:

or this?

oh damn, i just realized what you are asking and it has nothing to do with wiring the cabinet. i am sitting here finding schematics and writing about wiring and you just wanna know how to mount the plate.

the answer is: it doesn't matter. the jacks will behave properly mounted either 'up' or 'down'

swamp thangs and texas heats, nice combination.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Apr 26, 2014,
Quote by darkwolf291
Gumbi
Doesn't it need to be mounted right so the switch points to the right side?
Since the stereo side has a different impedance couldn't it blow his amp?

This is exactly what I was thinking.
Quote by darkwolf291
Gumbi
Doesn't it need to be mounted right so the switch points to the right side?
Since the stereo side has a different impedance couldn't it blow his amp?

actually yeah... i was thinking the switch was already labelled mono or stereo so it wouldn't matter. in fact, i didn't even recognize that was the switch in between the jacks. it looked like a bundle of wires going beneath the pcb to me at first. sorry, i wasn't catching the drift that this was a switch orientation problem.

yeah, TS will need to figure out which side is mono and which side is stereo if it's not already labeled.

the way i'd do it is to hook up the speakers to the pcb and throw a TS cable into one of the jacks. then i'd pull out a mult-meter and put one lead on the tip and the other on the sleeve and measure the impedance with the switch in one position, then measure it with the switch in the other position. the stereo setting should have about half the impedance of the mono setting.

good catch darkwolf.

edit: i took down the schematic for wiring the cabinet, it assumed a separate R/L jack which wouldn't match the way your cab is wired.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Apr 26, 2014,