Hey All,

I'm really into the whole 'Unfinished' pedal look (no paint) and was considering stripping the paint from an MXR Bass Octave Deluxe. I'd also like to change the color of the LED's from blue to red, but one thing at a time.

The finish seems very solid and I was wondering what would b a good product to use to strip the paint. I'd sand it but wouldn't that scratch up the metal underneath?

Should I disassemble the pedal or is it cool to leave it the say it is? Or should just forget the whole thing?

-Major Bludd
I'm also gunna throw in that a green LED on bare metal would look sweet too.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Interesting. I'm totally new to this. How hard will it be to put the pedal back together afterwards?

Looking for Aircraft stripper. If I can't find that, acetone?
Quote by Major Bludd
Interesting. I'm totally new to this. How hard will it be to put the pedal back together afterwards?

Looking for Aircraft stripper. If I can't find that, acetone?

No you need a chemical paint stripper/remover like these:
www.walmart.com/ip/Klean-Strip-Premium-Paint-Stripper/17208799
www.homedepot.com/p/Citristrip-17-oz-Safer-Paint-and-Varnish-Stripper-ECG73807/100164441
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm in Canada and I don't think either of those products are available here. Not sure if they will ship here, Unless you know something that I don't.

Any alternatives?
Is it painted or powdercoated? I don't think that paint stripper works very effectively on powdercoat. Sanding or better yet, bead blasting, might be easier. If you go with media blasting, I would take everything out of the case and just have the case in the cabinet.
Go to your local car parts store and pick up a bottle of brake cleaner. It's usually in an aerosol can but I've also seen it in a regular oil-type bottle. Drop your pedal into a small container of that stuff and watch as the paint comes right off. But watch out, this stuff WILL eat some types of plastic and you'll end up with brake cleaner everywhere
Quote by jds2
Is it painted or powdercoated? I don't think that paint stripper works very effectively on powdercoat. Sanding or better yet, bead blasting, might be easier. If you go with media blasting, I would take everything out of the case and just have the case in the cabinet.

I use to do powder coating for a living many many years ago. If anything was ever messed up after being baked we used aircraft/aviation paint stripper to remove it. The stuff came off really easy that way, just brushed it on, let it set for a while till good & bubbled up, then wiped it right off then wiped it down with acetone. I'm not saying that's the only way to do it but that's how my job did it and it worked great.

TS: I would either just rehouse it in a new unfinished box or leave it as it is. IMO they look much better painted anyways, unless it's a nice brushed stainless steel or chromed box.
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at May 1, 2014,