Hey all, I need some help with my alt picking...

I love to play metal solos, improvising, learning, or making them. However, I often have to hammer on/pull off a lot of my notes because my alternate picking sounds so awful! I have the chops to do it, but whenever I pick, I either don't get enough sound, or there's too much pick noise.

I tried lots of different picks, found some that work better than others, but I still have the issue. I also try to minimize the contact with the pick and string whenever I hit a note.

Anyway, if anyone can give me an answer as to why I'm not getting a full enough sound, ir getting shitty pick noises, please let me know!

I've tried lowering my gain, and different picks. (I also pick using my wrist, not my arm). I just ordered EMG HZ-H4 passive pups (I just don't want to deal with getting actives installed), which should hopefully be a good upgrade from stock Ibanez pickups. Maybe that will help?

Yeah just let me know, thanks!
Use pointy picks like Dunlop Jazz IIIs, angle your pick when you alternate pick. Angling will unfortunately add pick noise, because the side of the pick constantly slides on the string, but I've found that angling the pick is the only way for me. By holding it parallel to the string, it sounds cleaner and better, but I never could develop my picking that way. The hand/arm just never felt steady enough, not to mention how differently the pick reacts on different strings when it's used in the parallel fashion.
Quote by FistOfFury
Use pointy picks like Dunlop Jazz IIIs, angle your pick when you alternate pick. Angling will unfortunately add pick noise, because the side of the pick constantly slides on the string, but I've found that angling the pick is the only way for me. By holding it parallel to the string, it sounds cleaner and better, but I never could develop my picking that way. The hand/arm just never felt steady enough, not to mention how differently the pick reacts on different strings when it's used in the parallel fashion.

Yeah, I mean pretty much if you're doing all the things he said, then you can most likely rule your picking out of the problem.

If you pick parallel on the string, you're gonna exert A LOT more force picking the strings. You said you pick from the wrist, so I'm assuming you already know stuff like this. And JD III's are marvelous for fast playing because there's no give to them so they slice through the strings.

It sounds like it's a physical problem, like your strings/pickups/etc. I'd wait till you get your new pickups and see how it sounds. If you still don't like it, it's gotta be your technique!
Quote by ploxxies
I have the chops to do it, but whenever I pick, I either don't get enough sound, or there's too much pick noise.

Anyway, if anyone can give me an answer as to why I'm not getting a full enough sound, ir getting shitty pick noises, please let me know!

If you can't pick with enough sound and minimum noise you don't have the chops.

I almost guarantee this will be nothing to do with your equipment and just be a technique issue. Practice alternate picking more, make sure to play slowly so you can play each note with perfect articulation, no excess noise and using small and relaxed movements.

There is nothing wrong with upgrading your equipment and you will probably sound better with it. But don't get caught thinking your equipment is the source of your problems, because almost all the time it's not the equipment's fault.
Quote by Anon17
If you can't pick with enough sound and minimum noise you don't have the chops.

I almost guarantee this will be nothing to do with your equipment and just be a technique issue. Practice alternate picking more, make sure to play slowly so you can play each note with perfect articulation, no excess noise and using small and relaxed movements.

There is nothing wrong with upgrading your equipment and you will probably sound better with it. But don't get caught thinking your equipment is the source of your problems, because almost all the time it's not the equipment's fault.

Yeah I know it's a problem with me, but i know what ya mean.
I guess I'll just keep working on it some more.

Thanks for the answers.
Quote by RicAndrade
If you don't like the sound of the pick, why don't you keep playing legato?

I feel as though it'd help me out more as a guitarist if I could alt pick well.

Anyway, I don't know what it was, but when I got home from a trip, I picked up my guitar, and it instantly sounded better. I still don't know what I was doing, but oh well! I still have a ways to go but it's better than before.

Thanks all.
Quote by ploxxies
I feel as though it'd help me out more as a guitarist if I could alt pick well.

Anyway, I don't know what it was, but when I got home from a trip, I picked up my guitar, and it instantly sounded better. I still don't know what I was doing, but oh well! I still have a ways to go but it's better than before.

Thanks all.

You are correct, learning both is pretty essential.

Sometimes you just need a break from guitar, looks like you were just a bit burnt out. Keep up the practice.