I've been hospitalized for a collapsed right lung and after the surgeries I can't have anything come into contact with the right side of my chest so I can't play any regular shaped guitars/basses. I can play V's, but there doesn't seem to be much variety of V shaped basses that I know of. Any links or ideas for good V shaped basses? Neck-through, high output pickups, and a badass look is a plus, but I'll consider anything as I have shows coming up soon and I need a bass I can practice/gig with comfortably.
Peavey 6505+ Head (Left)
Line 6 Spider IV HD150 Head (Right)
Marshall 1960A 4x12
ESP DV-8
Ibanez RG T42DX
Agile Hornet Pro 727
I love my Epiphone Flying V Bass. It sounds pretty good and you can't beat it for the classic Flying V look (as long as you don't mind something on the short-scale side). The problem is that they get discontinued and re-continued sporadically, so finding them can be tough. Musician's Friend has them in stock, for now.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/epiphone-limited-edition-korina-flying-v-bass-guitar

Dean also makes them. I've never tried them.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/dean-v-metalman-4-string-bass
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/dean-metalman-2a-v-bass-guitar

With so few V basses being made, you might have to sacrifice some of the specs you want for availability.
GEAR:
Musicman Sterling
Epiphone Flying V Bass
BC Rich Platinum Warlock Bass
Fender BG-31 MTB Acoustic/Electric Bass
Warwick Blue Cab 60 60W 1x12 Bass Combo Amp
The Dean Metalman V-shape basses are not worth the investment; small though it is. The Epiphone is a pretty good one. My only complaint is that it is a short-scale bass (like most Gibsons).

As far as a bass that will not contact the right side of your chest is concerned, you might want to try the classic Steinberger design. They are still out there, and they are smaller than a "V."

I hope you recover fully and rapidly.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
As far as a bass that will not contact the right side of your chest is concerned, you might want to try the classic Steinberger design. They are still out there, and they are smaller than a "V."

The best bet for that would be either a Spirit by Steinberger or the current Steinberger Synapse line (both under production by Gibson incidentally). The Synapse would not only be the better of those two, it'll be better balanced and ergonomic both sitting and standing which could be a very important factor in your case.

Original Steiny XL's or XP's would probably work great for you but they're very rare and very dear and cost a lot of money.

As for V shapes, there's the Epi one but you might have trouble getting your hands on one since they're reasonably uncommon and tend to disappear quickly. The Deans are trash. There's also the old Fender/Squier Katana basses which are sort of V shaped, but the downside is they're rare and usually command a collector's premium.

Does it have to not come in contact with just your upper chest? Or is it anywhere on the right side? Because there are smaller-body basses out there that may work, it just depends on the nature of your injury I suppose.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I also suspect the Dean's are junk, although admittingly the Metalman 2A may fit my needs for now. I don't like the pickups on the Epiphone Flying V, and I don't think it's worth the effort to change out the pickups on it. I'll check out the Steinberger's, I'm not very familiar with them but they would probably work for me.

Any other ideas guys?
Peavey 6505+ Head (Left)
Line 6 Spider IV HD150 Head (Right)
Marshall 1960A 4x12
ESP DV-8
Ibanez RG T42DX
Agile Hornet Pro 727
Quote by americablanco

The Traveler Ultra Light bass is shaped very much like a Steinberger. My biggest problem with the Traveler Ultra Light is that it is as ugly as sin:

As Jon has suggested, a violin-shaped bass like McCartney's old Hofner might also be a good choice.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Recommended threads
Rockschool
Mohitrules
Last post:
by R.Christie