So recently I started trying to learn a very rock oriented song but I am having trouble with the dead notes. Although I have my fingers over the strings when they are supposed to be dead (barring the others with my index finger), I still hear a disgusting not quite ringing out but not quite dead harmonic-like noise while doing so. I am not sure what I should be doing in order to fix this.

For reference here is the song.

The tab for the first part of the intro is as follows

|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|---4---4---X---4---4---4---X---X---9---7---4---2----------------------
|---4---4---X---4---4---4---X---X---9---7---4---2----------------------
|---2---2---X---2---2---2---X---X---7---5---2---0----------------------

And the part where they start singing

|---4---4---X---4---X---4---X---4---X---4---X---7---9-----------------
|---4---4---X---4---X---4---X---4---X---4---X---7---9-----------------
|---2---2---X---2---X---2---X---2---X---2---X---5---7-----------------
Try flattening your fingers and pressing hard enough on a dead spot, over all the strings, on the guitar that the notes won't harmonically ring.
I usually play by feel, but it gets pretty dead around fourth fret, or eightish as well. It's also worth noting that less gain is gonna stop it from ringing out too much also.
Sometimes you will have to play dead notes on a sensitive harmonic fret, try applying different amounts of pressure with your fingers, try using your picking hand to mute the notes. Experiment a little. Playing with dead notes is used in a lot of styles and it is something you should figure out.

So just play your B power chord and raise your fingers for the dead note, if it's too close it'll sound messy and if it's too far you'll ring the harmonic. Find the balance, perhaps palm muting could help.