I'm trying to get a budget recording rig going and was wondering is it worth buying a decent pair of monitors or can you just get by with headphones. I have around $100 to spend.

Also would it be possible for me to just use a set of logitech computer speakers using one of these in the L/R out on my interface?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2Lots-5Ft-3-5mm-TRS-Stereo-Male-to-Dual-1-4-TS-Mono-Male-Phone-Y-Audio-Cable-/261458626968?pt=US_Cables_Snakes_Interconnects&hash=item3ce0260998&_uhb=1
Ideally, both. For that budget though, just get a decent set of headphones. Compare your mix on as many different sound systems as possible- pc speakers, home stereo, car etc.

Sennheiser make some great headphones for people on a budget.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Just get some good headphones and switch between them and your computer speakers so you get a good reference of how your mix translates. You can use that cable if your speakers take a male jack in, otherwise you'll either need one with a 3.5mm female jack, or a 3.5mm female to female adapter.
For headphones i was looking at the UE6000vi, they seem to have good reviews and are on sale atm for $80.

For speakers i was planning on using lower end logitech speakers separate to the ones i have plugged into my PC, they have an aux in so i shouldn't need an adapter to plug them into the interface.

I couldn't work out how to use the speakers plugged into the computer without annoying amounts of latency.
Those headphones are consumer style headphones, designed to give a sound that pleases the masses. That usually means it'll be fairly bass heavy, and a little empty in the midrange. Try looking at studio headphones like the Audio Technica ATH-M50s, if you can get those into your budget you shouldn't ever need to replace them.
The audio technicas are a little out of my budget, thanks for the recommendation though.

I've heard the ue4000vi headphones and they bass seemed pretty tight and punchy, alot better than Beats or other consumer style headphones.
I still suspect they're designed to flatter the sound (make it sound better, usually done with an eq curve that boosts the bass and treble) which is great if your a consumer but results in weak mixes.

If you're on the cheap check out the Sennheiser HD201 headphones, they're much cheaper (possibly cheaper than the ue4000vi) and are still very solid headphones and are actually designed for mixing.
Find a pair of ATH-M50 for $99, even used'll be fine, they're a step up from any other pair of headphones in that price range.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
This early on in your studio (Meaning you're not ready to invest Huge amounts) Headphones will be fine. Then, if you don't already have them, a Good Stereo system should be your next investment, and here i just mean Something that plays music at a quality your happy with listening to your favorite cd on.

Fancy monitors can come later based on this, simply because most people you'll have listening to your music won't be listening to it through $1000 speakers. Just something to keep in mind until your truly commited
Stretch your budget for the ATH-M50, or if you absolutely can't, then you should get the M40. It'll be way better than any consumer headphones.

Alternatively - buy the most expensive pair of Sennehisers in your budget. They have a great price-to-quality ratio, diminishing rate of returns doesn't hit until the $500+ models.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Stretch your budget for the ATH-M50, or if you absolutely can't, then you should get the M40. It'll be way better than any consumer headphones.

Alternatively - buy the most expensive pair of Sennehisers in your budget. They have a great price-to-quality ratio, diminishing rate of returns doesn't hit until the $500+ models.

I have these headphones and definitely recommend them for monitoring! A bit pricey, but crisp as the morning dew.

As for monitors vs. headphones, I would stick with headphones because most of the time you will be using them instead of the monitors. You can use the headphones for tracking as well. I live in an apartment and rarely use my monitors due to volume, but find that I can get close with the headphones. Then do some checks with the monitors.

In summary, for home recording, if its between the 2, then headphones definitely. Hope that helps!
UG MISSILE BASE
Fight for the cause!

Quote by RMC06
Donkeyman2341, you are my new god!