I want to be able to sing, but I'm horrible at it and i know i will feel embarrassed. is this something to worry about?

also

If I don't choose to take vocal lessons is it possible to be a bad singer but practice just one song for a talent show a lot (a band performance) and still sound good? thanks.
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
What music are you playing?
Also, stop caring what other people think of you. you will be more relaxed and happier
Quote by Burningritual
What music are you playing?
Also, stop caring what other people think of you. you will be more relaxed and happier

90s alt rock like the smashing pumpkins
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
You can always learn from someone better. Take vocal lessons, don't be embarrassed. I did and it worked very well.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Dude, don't be embarased about singing in fron of a vocal coach. Its literaly his/her job to hear you sing and help you. And i guarantee that he/she heard someone worse than you. And you will get better quickly, so no problems there. Just do it! Learning by yourself will take you years to get the same resoult that you get with a coach in a matter of weeks.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
A good vocal coach has heard it all before, they won't judge you or make you feel embarrassed. You may or may not improve by yourself, but there'd be a lot of trial and error. You'd get faster results from a professional. It's well worth the investment.
I debated taking lessons for probably a year before taking them. I was also really embarrassed to be taking lessons, and thought it was a really feminine thing to be doing. Hell my first lesson, my teacher asked "can you sing me something real quick just to see where you're at?" and I outright refused.

I don't regret a single thing about taking lessons now that I've done it. It was a great experience and breaking out of this shy shell in terms of things I'm self-conscious about was a great learning experience, not only with singing, but as it pertains to life.
I'm a very shy person and also sociophobic, so it's really hard for me to sing without the band, its a mental thing, so I didn't take vocal lessons, and I find out sometimes that I suck at some kind of music.
One thing that really CHANGED my way of see my role as a vocalist, is one thing that I heard from some vocalist at the Zen of Screaming dvd is something like "Im too busy thinking about the tone to care about how I sound".
Smashing pumpkins is really hard to imitate, maybe its where you think you are so bad. Focus on the pitch and notes, if you nail it, will be nice to hear. No matter your voice.
Look at Daron Malakian's voice, it's really weird, but he sings really well.
Try to boost your confidence, and try to find your range.

good luck