Lets say there is a flute solo or whatever and no other instruments are playing. You can easily get a sample of whatever notes are played in the audio file. If the flute plays a note, could you simply raise and lower the pitch by semitones and create each seperate semitone as an audio file, then use them as a full fledge keyboard? Is there impracticality to this?

tl;dr: how does changing the pitch of a note via software, compare to playing the higher or lower note on the instrument itself? Would it retain it's timbre? I have a hunch that overtone/undertones prevent this.
Last edited by Thealia at Apr 27, 2014,
It will be obviously edited. I can't really describe it but it is very easy to tell when the pitch has been artificially altered. And samples of classical instruments tend to be fake sounding enough without adding more fake-ness by altering the pitch.
Quote by chatterbox272
And samples of classical instruments tend to be fake sounding enough without adding more fake-ness by altering the pitch.
I respectfully disagree.

Anyway you could do that but it'll sound pretty bad.
Like, half an octave up would sound like a duck and an octave lower would sound like a robot.

This isn't even really a question though, you can find decent free flute samples online y' know.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
As much as that sounds amazing (and it really does), it doesn't sound real to me. Infact I don't think that would sound quite as good if it truly were real, it has an unearthly quality that you wouldn't get from micing up a real orchestra (I played in one the other week, one of the most amazing experiences of my life). I'd also say that strings are the closest to real I've heard, I've yet to hear a brass synth that I can't pick from the real thing (maybe I'm just picky, being a brass player myself).
Quote by chatterbox272
As much as that sounds amazing (and it really does)
Thanks!
Quote by chatterbox272
it doesn't sound real to me.

Oh well there you have your answer TS - you can do stuff that sounds pretty good but some perky brass players will tell you they're able to tell the difference.
If you ask me, that's good enough.
Though that's done with da expensive stuff (aka symphobia 2).

The free flute samples you can find online though will be hella better than the exaggeratedly simplistic sampling you described, so go out there, download stuff, load said stuff in a sampler, play stuff, and then add some effects.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Lol, thanks for the discussion guys, but the flute was just an example of what would probably end up being some obscure timbre that I can't replicate any where else. I'd want to use it in different pitch ranges but as you said, it's probably a no go.

Would a few semitones spanning an octave be that noticeable? Or am I better off just trying to re-create the timbre myself?