Poll: Do you still play guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you still play guitar?
Yes
157 79%
Sometimes
36 18%
No
7 4%
Voters: 200.
Page 1 of 3
Do you still play guitar? Seems like a lot of people here used to start off as budding metal guitarists then slowly moved to other genres or completely away from the instrument.

I personally don't play guitar as much as I used to, having grown up, time being more precious etc. and haven't progressed much in the past few years at all. However I do still play and enjoy it when I get the chance, although not nearly as much as I used to.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I do, but not as often as I'd like.

I have to get my custom acoustic adjusted to remove fret buzz when I get back home, and then she'll be sweeter than new. Can't wait.

EDIT: I haven't improved in years
My God, it's full of stars!
Last edited by Dreadnought at Apr 27, 2014,
I pick it up and just mess about with it like once a week. I really only play 2006 pop songs on it now anyway.
I don't. ALS makes it increasingly difficult.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by LostLegion
I pick it up and just mess about with it like once a week. I really only play 2006 pop songs on it now anyway.

All I do is learn Taylor Swift songs.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I occasionally do, but I've got a lot of hobbies and stuff that I fill my time with, so music has kind of been secondary to me lately.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
I occasionally do, but I've got a lot of hobbies and stuff that I fill my time with, so music has kind of been secondary to me lately.

^ This. Too many hobbies is truly a burden
Quote by EndTheRapture51
All I do is learn Taylor Swift songs.

Better that than BMTH songs
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Quote by eddiehimself

What hobbies would they be?
Quote by cha33 armstrong
Better that than BMTH songs

Way more challenging also.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Do you still play guitar? Seems like a lot of people here used to start off as budding metal guitarists then slowly moved to other genres or completely away from the instrument.

I personally don't play guitar as much as I used to, having grown up, time being more precious etc. and haven't progressed much in the past few years at all. However I do still play and enjoy it when I get the chance, although not nearly as much as I used to.
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa now hold on there now.
yes fight me irl

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
I play for at least 3-4 hours every day. Since I have no job or life or anything it's a decent way to pass the time.
I have nothing important to say
Of course. I watch the odd TV show and go see friends or go out with my girl a couple of times a week but aside from that and work I'm pretty much playing guitar as much as I can.

Having a decent band is key to staying motivated.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

I play every day, but I don't feel as motivated as I used to...I desperately need a band :/

Having a decent band is key to staying motivated.
It really is.
Last edited by Zordon at Apr 27, 2014,
It took me years to find a band I liked a lot. When I started seriously looking again a couple of years ago I went to countless auditions and lost out to people who weren't as good as me, better than me, douchier than me, went to auditions where people said I wasn't right even though I told them what kind of music I played, where they'd tell you that they expected you to move, to practice 5x a week etc.

I had one audition lined up and the singer told me it was off because she sacked the drummer, then on because she found one, then off because she sacked the bassist. I didn't go, she freaked out at me.

It just went on and on until I found a band where everyone clicked, and you will if you keep looking and don't give up.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Apr 27, 2014,
Yeah but not as much as I used to. It seems to come in flurries some weeks it's all I want to do and I'll play for about 3 hours on and off a day, then there's other weeks where I might only play for about 5 minutes every couple of days.
I love playing, and for the first time in months I've finally had time to sit down and play. I'm nowhere near as excited by the guitar as when I first started playing, though. I used to want more guitars all the time, but now spending hundreds of dollars on a new guitar seems like a huge waste of money.

That kinda makes me sad, actually. Goddamn.
Quote by Philip_pepper
What hobbies would they be?

Well, video games. But I also like drawing, writing, watching films, stuff like that really.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
^ Try scuba diving, reading, mountaineering/rock climbing, shooting, owning a house and dog (can't imagine kids!), being married, working 60-80 hour work weeks, and being gone for about 6 months out of the year, and you can imagine how frustrated I get sometimes when I realize how little I've dedicated to my favorite hobby (guitar playing) in recent years.

Shit's maddening, mate
lol no.

not in like 7 or 8 years.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I play every day and practice different styles - I will achieve my goal in due time. Other interests - for the most, are unable to distract me as I have discarded them.
why is this even a question?
Quote by Dave Mustaine
If you want to be treated intelligently, act intelligent.

Pretty much everyday.
In fact, I'm still making tabs.
To give this perspective, I've been making 2-3 tabs monthly since I registered.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Apr 27, 2014,
I bought an Orange TH30 last year to try and get myself back into playing.

Didn't work lol

Expensive mistake.
Yeah. I play whenever im watching a sporting event/cooking shows. The only time I play with no distractions is when im writing
I was a bassist for about 8 years, but solwly started to lose interest after an accident made it nigh inpossible to play the way a had. Picking up a friends guitar, I found out that I still could play it without much problem even with my injury.

So, I do still play guitar. In fact, I play from about 3-4 hours a day. The wonders of multi-tasking.
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
I play music with friends once a week, but I don't practice half as much as I should.
Quote by Dreadnought
^ Try scuba diving, reading, mountaineering/rock climbing, shooting, owning a house and dog (can't imagine kids!), being married, working 60-80 hour work weeks, and being gone for about 6 months out of the year, and you can imagine how frustrated I get sometimes when I realize how little I've dedicated to my favorite hobby (guitar playing) in recent years.

Shit's maddening, mate

Any advice on getting started for mountaineering?
I play five minutes a day due to lack of motivation. I need some fun songs to play.
Quote by Philip_pepper
Any advice on getting started for mountaineering?

Find a mountain.
Playing music use to be a big part of my life but then I realized that i wasn't getting any better and didn't have the patience to learn songs. So now i only occasionally play my acoustic or piano.

Plus, I have other things that have become more important to me, like fitness.
Sail upon the open skies
I noodle on my electric unplugged for about an hour a day.

If I had enough money, I'd probably buy an acoustic and take playing a it more seriously.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Yep, I still play. I have invested too much time, money, blood/sweat/tears into
guitar and music to just quit; it's probably the most accomplished thing I've ever done.

I have a guitar parked right besides my computer in addition to my usual jam space in my basement. You'd be surprised how wasting time surfing the internet for a few hours can be turned into a productive practice session by just having a guitar at the ready.

So at home at least, I have a guitar within grabbing distance for the majority of my waking hours.
Last edited by E7#9 at Apr 27, 2014,
Page 1 of 3