Okay, I now understand that the reason why many of us get hum and background hiss is because the guitar signal is not balanced and that is why interfaces are good because they turn the signal into a balanced one.

However I am getting hm and hiss from my Behringer V Amp 2 yet (headphone jack connected to PC line in) yet the blurb for the V Amp is that it's supposed to be balanced for direct recording.

Any ideas?
Quote by ice91
Okay, I now understand that the reason why many of us get hum and background hiss is because the guitar signal is not balanced and that is why interfaces are good because they turn the signal into a balanced one.
That's not it.
Well half of it.
The noise is there because the signal from the guitar to whatever picks up noise, and that's because the signal is unbalanced AND extremely weak and high impedance.
Though audio interfaces don't turn unbalanced signals into unbalanced signals unless they have to send it to a balanced output.
If the signal goes from the guitar to the computer, it passes for one or more pres, for the converters and then the cable going to the computer.
Just go on wikipedia and read how balanced lines work, it's not even difficult to understand.
Quote by ice91
However I am getting hm and hiss from my Behringer V Amp 2 yet (headphone jack connected to PC line in) yet the blurb for the V Amp is that it's supposed to be balanced for direct recording.
Well that line is not balanced.
Headphones output in general are not balanced.
I can't really find any specs, so there may be another (balanced) output, though mind that your sound card's line input isn't balanced either so you'd need an audio interface with a balanced input to benefit of the thing.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, your setup is guitar > V Amp > Headphone output > PC Line in? If so, no part of that signal chain is balanced.

The unwanted noise is likely from your guitar (almost bugger all one can do about that) and the (likely) low quality line input on your PC.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
Quote by reincarnator
Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, your setup is guitar > V Amp > Headphone output > PC Line in? If so, no part of that signal chain is balanced.

Yup.

The unwanted noise is likely from your guitar (almost bugger all one can do about that) and the (likely) low quality line input on your PC.

Poo.