I am currently using a EHX Big Muff Tone wicker effects pedal and for some reason I cannot for the life of me get it up to the same volume as my other pedals in my effects board. Board is as follows:

Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > EHX Micro Pog > Dunlop Cry Baby > EHX Big Muff T/W > Zvex Fuzz Probe > Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh Fuzz > Marshall Jackhammer > EHX Stereo Pulsar > Rocktek EQ > Amp

I am running all of these through an Orange AD30 w/ Orange PPC412 cab. My main effect used is the Pharaoh Fuzz (Vol at about 2 o'clock) but when I switch to the Big Muff at full sustain and volume (Even with tone bypassed & wicker switch on) there is a distinct lack of volume.

I have looked around the internet and I have seen lots of other people have this problem too. Is there a mod I can make to the Big Muff to acheive a louder output level or is there another version of the big muff or another pedal out there that will do a better job. I like the look of the Way Huge Swollen Pickle, has anyone had any experience with that?
Cheers
Quote by kurtfletcher
I am currently using a EHX Big Muff Tone wicker effects pedal and for some reason I cannot for the life of me get it up to the same volume as my other pedals in my effects board. Board is as follows:

Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > EHX Micro Pog > Dunlop Cry Baby > EHX Big Muff T/W > Zvex Fuzz Probe > Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh Fuzz > Marshall Jackhammer > EHX Stereo Pulsar > Rocktek EQ > Amp

I am running all of these through an Orange AD30 w/ Orange PPC412 cab. My main effect used is the Pharaoh Fuzz (Vol at about 2 o'clock) but when I switch to the Big Muff at full sustain and volume (Even with tone bypassed & wicker switch on) there is a distinct lack of volume.

I have looked around the internet and I have seen lots of other people have this problem too. Is there a mod I can make to the Big Muff to acheive a louder output level or is there another version of the big muff or another pedal out there that will do a better job. I like the look of the Way Huge Swollen Pickle, has anyone had any experience with that?
Cheers

I think it is more the issue with the mids that the muff cuts out and it can make it really hard to hear.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I haven't had any experience with the Big Muff but I had a ASX Foxey Fuzz with a similar problem. It could either be loose wire, a bad pot or the circuit board all together. In any case it's probably not worth taking it in for repair. If you bought it new you should just swap it. If you are fairly handy around a soldering iron you could open it up and test the pots. If one of them is bad you can swap it or just check for loose wire. Otherwise it's the board.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by CodeMonk
You get butt loads of volume if you bypass the tone control.
Or your volume control pot cold be bad.

There is an increase in volume with the tone bypassed, but it is still not enough to keep up with the other pedals
Quote by kurtfletcher
There is an increase in volume with the tone bypassed, but it is still not enough to keep up with the other pedals

Volume pot could be bad or just dirty.

The Swollen Pickle would make for a decent replacement.
Its based on the OpAmp Muff with more controls.

Big Muff Info :
http://www.kitrae.net/music/big_muff_history3.html
www.kitrae.net/music/big_muff_guts.html#WiringDiagrams