Ok, so my current bass rig is:

Fretless Bass> Sennheiser wireless (1u in rack)

(pedalboard)
Korg Pitchblack tuner> volume pedal>Boss SD-1> Hardwire Chorus> Boss Tera Echo>

(back to rack)
>SWR 750x (takes up 3u in rack) > Cab

this set up sounds pretty good and does everything I need to, however it isn't very light and it would be great if it was a bit simpler to set up. I've been looking into digital stuff, in particular the pod HD. I've got a Behringer FCB1010 sitting under my bed doing nothing too so I would like to make use of that, however it doesn't seem to be capable of displaying tuning info on it.

Anyone care to recommend me a set up? I have 3u of rack space and as much money as i can get from selling existing gear to play with.

Ta.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
This may be a better question for the bass forum, we are mostly guitarists here

However, I DO have a POD HD500 and used to use pedals and all that jazz. Digital is great for extreme changes in sound on the fly without tapdancing all over your pedals. The quality does degrade a bit with an all in one unit like a POD, but I barely notice.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Thb i play guitar through my bass rig for a couple of tracks we do (only for volume swells) and i'll possibly using it for clarinet/whistles (with a clip on mic) so I'm really after a 'Do it all' rig.

what power amp do you use with the hd500?
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

Quote by FischmungaXTR
Thb i play guitar through my bass rig for a couple of tracks we do (only for volume swells) and i'll possibly using it for clarinet/whistles (with a clip on mic) so I'm really after a 'Do it all' rig.

what power amp do you use with the hd500?

The one in my amp. I have a Line 6 Spider Valve and I got direct to power amp in with the HD500. If you're looking at the rack mount POD you might want the bass POD if you're looking at it for mostly bass still.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Looks like the bass pod is based on the original pod, which is ancient now. The HD series seems to be much better specced.
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

^ yeah, but who knows how it will sound with a bass...
If you have the money, I'd get a rackmountable kemper.
More options, more bass stuff, a built in power amp if you decide to buy that version...

Though it's expensive as ****.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I would love to get the kemper, but its too much £££££

is the pod x3 any good? what about the boss stuff?
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

HD500 if you don't want to spend a whole lot.

I had fun using the bass amp models.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Oh yeah I forgot there was ONE bass amp on the HD500.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
are the guitar amp models any good for bass though?

my virtual bass chain for record is usually a parallel set up with the highs & mids going through a guitar vst, and the lows just super compressed with no amp sim.

Also, anyone know if there is AES/EBU output on the HD500X?
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

Quote by FischmungaXTR
are the guitar amp models any good for bass though?

my virtual bass chain for record is usually a parallel set up with the highs & mids going through a guitar vst, and the lows just super compressed with no amp sim.

Also, anyone know if there is AES/EBU output on the HD500X?

I dunno how good the amps are for bass. I'd imagine they'd be similar to if you plugged a bass into any of those amps. There is a Flip Top head sim and a 1x15 cab (plus a 4x10 cab for the Bassman models) so it's not like you're SOL.

You don't have to run an amp sim either, if you want distortion you can just have distortion. Don;t know how good that would sound though.

Yes, the HD500 has XLR outs.

Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
This may be a better question for the bass forum, we are mostly guitarists here

However, I DO have a POD HD500 and used to use pedals and all that jazz. Digital is great for extreme changes in sound on the fly without tapdancing all over your pedals. The quality does degrade a bit with an all in one unit like a POD, but I barely notice.

Nah it virtually doesn't degrade. The only degradation you can honestly count is the analog to digital and digital to analog converters. Technically it is degradation because it's morphing the signal to be read digitally and vice versa. Is it audibly degrading? No. Unless it's really shitty converters, then you will hear nothing.

Either way, analog circuitry also degrades signals as well by other physical means, it not noticeable though.
^ the D/A conversion is why I was asking about the AES/EBU output. my band uses a Soundcraft Si Expression 2 which has an AES/EBU input; if the hd500x can send a stereo signal to that through one cable it would skip 2 stages of conversion and keep the quality a bit more pristine. I can then connect a power amp to the 2 xlr outs for my cab(s) onstage.

Stig, i know it has the analogue xlr outs i'm just trying to work out whether it can send AES/EBU out from the 'L6 Link' like the HD pro x does.

I should be ok to go into the xlr mic input with the xlr output from my wireless system shouldn't i? that way i would completely avoid using any unbalanced cables in my rig.
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

Quote by FischmungaXTR
Looks like the bass pod is based on the original pod, which is ancient now. The HD series seems to be much better specced.

No.

I've got a Bass Pod XT (the bean). Highly recommended. I've also got the newer HD series. Great for guitar, but not what you want for bass. If you add even the FBV Express foot board (compact, has four bank switches, a tuner display, expression pedal, tap tempo capabilities, etc.), you have only an ethernet cable running from your backline to the footboard. No AC, no guitar cables running across the floor. If you can find the rack version of the Bass Pod XT, all the better. The Bass Pod XT is MIDI capable, so you can actually set things up to run with your pedals in the backline rather than out front, using the bank switching on the FBV Express or Shortboard to run them.

That eliminates the tuner, and honestly, takes over most of the functions of the preamp in your current bass head. If it were me, I'd add a Carvin HD1500 power amp (about 9 pounds, 2U, 800W bridged mono into 8 ohms, 1400W bridged mono into 4 ohms) and call it a day.

Your current bass head is 750W, weighs 31 pounds. If you MUST have a separate bass head, pick up the Carvin BX1500. Twice the power, 10 lbs and a great hunk of gear.

I'm guessing that your speaker cabs are too heavy as well. Probably too bulky. Take a hard look at the fEARless F115s. They'll easily handle 900W (8 ohm cab) each or the entire 1500W of the Carvin with two, stacked. They're designed with a built-in tilt side, so you can also use them as a floor monitor if you're running DI from either the Bass Pod XT or the front end of some other bass amp. They're nominally 50 lbs, but can approach 40 if done in Okoume plywood. They run a 15" Eminence Kappalite 3015LF, a 6" mids driver and a 1" HF driver. Google them.
hmm i will look into the bass pod xt then. does it do dual processing like the HD?

the carvin amp looks decent, i was looking at the behringer epq900 too as it's only 1u high.

I'm gonna stick with my current cab, i built it myself with an eminence kappalite 3015 so it's not too heavy and sounds perfect for what i'm after.
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab