Poll: Based on my needs, which seems to you guys like an ideal option?
Poll Options
View poll results: Based on my needs, which seems to you guys like an ideal option?
Yamaha THR10
9 50%
Line 6 Pod HD300
8 44%
Other - Commenting about what
1 6%
Voters: 18.
Based on what I do with my gear:

Play quietly (aloud) in a dorm/apartment
Plug directly into a PA to play small gigs and jam
Never have a need for lots of effects/options, I'm a very simplistic guitarist
Strive for warm tone and realistic amp responsiveness, especially with hi-gain
Record occasionally into my Macbook

What do you think would do best and why? I'm stuck trying to decide

I like the idea of the THR because I wouldn't have to buy any speakers to play quietly aloud (something I prefer much more than playing with headphones - which I own a nice pair of already). Also because I've played it and really enjoyed it, plus heard a lot of great stuff about it.

I like the idea of the HD300 because while playing live I'll footswitches, which isn't needed (very minimalistic guitarist here), but nice. I also like that it's also a stripped down version of the HD500X (which has way to many settings for my needs) with similar if not equal tonal qualities. I've also heard a ton of good stuff about the pod HD series.

I apologize for starting a new thread so soon after my other, but I feel that one was off of the topic I now am on.
Guitars: ESP LTD H-1001FM ACSB, Epiphone SG Special
Acoustics: Fender Hellcat, Mitchell 12-string
Amps: Roland Microcube, Peavey Vypyr 15W
Effects: Digitech RP355
Last edited by Newah at Apr 27, 2014,
I'd get the pod or something similar anyway.
The THR isn't designed to be plugged into a pa system and the speakers sound the way they are - small.

Plus yeah, you have all of the footswitchability and more amp models and more effects.
If you have the money I'd go for the HD500 anyway, which should have more amp models and cab models and effects other than more processing power.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I voted for the THR. I bought the 10x because I travel a lot for work and needed something small to take on the road with me.

To be honest, the amp blows my mind. I can't believe how good it sounds and the variety of sounds it can get. You would think the little speakers would suck, but they actually sound pretty dam good.

I can't say how it sounds through a PA though.
Quote by Newah

I like the idea of the HD300 because while playing live I'll footswitches, which isn't needed (very minimalistic guitarist here), but nice. I also like that it's also a stripped down version of the HD500X (which has way to many settings for my needs) with similar if not equal tonal qualities.

The "idea" of the HD300 exceeds its usefulness, I'm afraid.

If you're going to strip down an HD500, get the Pod HD bean, which sits nicely on your desk. It eliminates the foot pedals altogether, but gives you everything that the HD500 offers electronically. If you decide you want to play out, you may want to get just the FBV Express foot pedal (about $99), which has a tuner display, an expression pedal and four switches for bank choices. You'd be amazed how well the combination works for live playing. The bean fits into a gig bag pocket and will go almost anywhere.

The THR is a decent little practice amp for your bedroom, but I've never been tempted to buy one (I've had Pods since the XT versions).

Lately I've been using a set of powered recording monitors with the pod (my personal set comes with 80W RMS each and with 8" woofers goes much lower and much higher than the THR). They're near-field speakers that work with *everything* else (TV, computer, iPod, , etc.) and that really mimic a PA system. They'll crank out up to 108 dB or thereabouts, but they also sound great at lower volumes. The THR isn't something you'd ever want to use live. But I've used the Pod for everything from serious recording to theater (orchestra pit) to church to arena sound systems.
Has anyone had personal experience plugging the Yamaha THR10 into a PA thru headphone out?
Get the POD, it will have way more versatility. When you do get an amp down the road, you will still be able to use the POD. and you may be minimalist with FX now, the POD gives you some quality FX to use if you want to mess around (and you will)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Newah
Has anyone had personal experience plugging the Yamaha THR10 into a PA thru headphone out?

I haven't tried that, but I vote for the THR. It's a fantastic little amp, sounds really great.

You can probably get a POD later, which would be useful anyway for its delay, modulation effects and reverb.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Apr 27, 2014,
As an owner of both a THR10X and HD500, I would have to recommend the POD simply because I think the THR will still leave something to be desired in a live jam/gig session. Quite simply the THR series is meant to be a practice amp. That is the niche Yamaha decided to go after with it and they do do it extremely well.

That being said, I do think you should consider the HD500 or the bean with the short board pedal. You may not think you need all those bells and whistles now but your preferences could change overtime. Plus, with them discontinuing the original HD line in favor of the X and the new Amplifi pedal, they are starting to heavily discount them at retailers.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Zoom G3/5. They do everything you need and a whole lot more.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Tone-wise, and responsiveness to guitar volume / pick attack, doesn't the Yamaha provide better results? That's the biggest thing Im concerned about. I've become sick of the sounds and feel I get from my Digitech pedal, and am a little worried about getting another digital pedal. I wont spend the extra for an HD500, i wont need it.

The HD300 and POD Bean are the more expensive choices due to having to buy monitors for them as well.

How bad could it be using the buttons on the Yamaha to switch tones between songs? That's where I'm leaning right now.
Last edited by Newah at Apr 29, 2014,
Quote by Newah
Tone-wise, and responsiveness to guitar volume / pick attack, doesn't the Yamaha provide better results?
Worse, if anything.
Quote by Newah
I wont spend the extra for an HD500, i wont need it.
Well it's your choice and your money, though I'd try both the HD300 and the HD500 at least before deciding.
Quote by Newah
How bad could it be using the buttons on the Yamaha to switch tones between songs? That's where I'm leaning right now.
Think about it, you're on stage and you can press a switch with your foot.
Or you could go there where your amp is located, find the right button in maybe prohibitive light conditions, be careful not to change any setting that doesn't have to be changed, press the button and return on stage.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Ultimately i guess it's going to come down to how much you plan on playing live with it because that is where the THR is going to have it's largest short comings. Sure if you play a fairly stripped down sound and setup, pushing a button to switch settings may not be a big deal but I just don't think using the headphone out is going to cut it for quality sound.

A big part of why the THR has such a huge encompassing sound is due to the design of their speaker enclosure and the fact that they use a speaker similar to what they use in their studio monitors, giving them a wider frequency response than your typical guitar speaker. That sort of thing does not come into play from a headphone out.

At the very least, find a shop with a good return policy buy the THR and try it in a live setting. If it works for you great, if it doesn't return and move on to something else.

Just some food for thought.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
I have a POD HD300 and I just use studio headphones while practicing. It's definitely good enough for now, but I might get some monitors in the future when I have more room. I've only had it for a few days, but tone really impressed me. Sure it's not as nice as some of my tube amps cranked, but it's waaay nicer than my Vypyr was, or my Spider is. It has some really nice crunch sounds, which I've always found to be lacking on the modelling amps I've tried.

The amp models respond to pick attack, but it's not a tube amp, so there are differences. They aren't staggering but I can tell there's a difference. It doesn't bother me, especially for practicing. The tones are good enough that I wouldn't hesitate to use this live with a PA system. My only gripe about HD300 in this setting is that the expression pedal is a little wonky. The range in volume changes quickly, and about half of the pedal's total movement doesn't really effect anything. Might just be my model, as I bought it used.

Still, besides this one problem the POD is really nice. Each guitar I have sounds unique. Something refreshing on a modeller. When I coil tap, the tone adjusts accordingly. It is has impressed me a lot. All of the possibilities the POD provides really make it worth while. The 500 is a step up, but I don't use a lot of effects at once, and I tend to just gravitate to a couple hi-gain tones (JCM800w/boost) so I'm definitely happy with the POD and I recommend it to anyone looking for this type of thing.
Last edited by evmac at Apr 29, 2014,
the HD line was a pretty big step up from the other pods IMO. i would go with the POD, however i have just played a HD500, and don't know how stripped the HD300 is.

also as far as monitors, i just have cheap KRK Rocket 6""s they aren't totally flat but good enough. i got a demo pair from GC both for like $200 for the PAIR. i love them with my synth and even laptop for music.

it would be worth it IMO. headphones are great too. which i also use my synth.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Honestly I'm considering getting both. If I get the HD300, I'll need speakers, and I know that the THR10 has a flat setting. If I end up preferring the HD, I'll sell the THR and replace it with monitors. Considering the THR is about the same price as monitors.

Is that possibly overkill or what?
The problem with the THR is the speakers, so you'd be getting a bad sound from the pod too if you passed it through the THR, just because you'd be passing it through the THR.
If you have the money to get both, spend it on something better altogether.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
How about some of the Vox VT amps? They kinda cover both areas?

For amplification I'd probably get amplified PA speaker or keyboard amp instead, little monitors are kind of a joke when it comes to playing out.
Last edited by diabolical at Apr 30, 2014,
Quote by Newah
Honestly I'm considering getting both. If I get the HD300, I'll need speakers, and I know that the THR10 has a flat setting. If I end up preferring the HD, I'll sell the THR and replace it with monitors. Considering the THR is about the same price as monitors.

Is that possibly overkill or what?

if you get both, buy yourself a 500 or 500x, and get a cheap powered wedge.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
You guys forget that this is for a college dorm. I actually own a 12" powered pa speaker, but it stays at parents place

The THR is as big as I'd want anything I add to my dorm. So.. Like 5" Monitors tops.

Also, am I missing the real advantage of the HD500? From what I hear it only adds a couple switches and more effects at once.
judging by what you are saying, you are more set on the yamaha.

its almost as if you are wanting us to tell you that "oh yea its perfect get it"

buy what you want. if you can't find the differences between the different PODs just get what yo want.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Newah
The THR is as big as I'd want anything I add to my dorm. So.. Like 5" Monitors tops.
The problem with 5" speakers is that they lack in bass.
It's not like they will sound any better at lower volumes, it's not like they'll give you any advantage apart from the bit of less space occupied.
Big speakers instead are hella better at reproducing bass content, AND you can turn down whatever source you play through them, so they'll most likely sound better at lower volumes too.

Also, if you can turn up the source and you have big speakers, they sound louder and they get more body - when you turn up the source and you have small speakers you augment the "tuna can" effect: you'll sound like a tin can would sound.
Thin.

You see, the advantage with small speakers is that they occupy little space, and they can indeed reproduce bass content too.
The problem is that small speakers can reproduce bass content at low volumes only, and them low volumes are too low for you to appreciate in this case.

So unless you have a particular problem with 8" monitors or powered wedges, or 5" monitors AND a subwoofer, something like the yamaha HS sub or the mackie rm sub mkIII, get a pod plus one of the previous.
And it's not like if you have problems with space, 5" monitors will really sound good on their own.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
See, I would say I'm leaning towards the Yamaha of course. Only because I feel like it could be something I use forever. Whereas the HD pedals may easily get swapped out if I upgrade to tube rig.

I'm going to stop by a guitar center in the next week or so, take my headphones and listen to both
I'd personally say the HD500, it'll be a lot more work to set up probably, but it'll have more uses and also have many more amp models, fx etc., and if you're worrying about playing loud..get a powered wedge, they will come in handy for playing live.
I've been playing around with the HD series pedals and realized that I'm not all that much more impressed with them than my Digitech RP. I think I'll stick to that for now, was hoping for a bigger difference in tone.

Might get the THR10 later but maybe not. Thanks guys
Quote by Newah
I've been playing around with the HD series pedals and realized that I'm not all that much more impressed with them than my Digitech RP. I think I'll stick to that for now, was hoping for a bigger difference in tone.
Given what you already have vs. what you are considering buying I would say that you've made the right decision.