Just got a guita the other day..
I totally suck at it of course.. Practice makes perfect right?
What's a good beginner song to learn?
Or shouldn't I be tryin to learn a song right away?
Any good YouTube teachers?
can you read tabs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqH21LEmfbQ
learn this tune. good introduction for chords in open position
dont worry about the fast part

this tab here gives you the fingerings of the chords (name of the chords on top of TAB notation)
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/c/clash/should_i_stay_or_should_i_go_ver2_tab.htm

also obligatory smoke on the water suggestion
Last edited by SuperKid at Apr 27, 2014,
Yes I can read tabs. But that's all I've it going for me.. Totally noob in all other aspects.. Strumming and all
every rose has its thorn by poison isn't too bad, i think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Practice DO make perfect!
But starting out with songs is a very good and motivating thing to start with, in my opinion. There are A LOT of songs you can learn as a beginner. Just look up the chords for a song you like and if it is a complex song just learn the basic chords of it. By doing this you may stumble upon a lot of barre chords, so if you aren't at that point yet, I think you should check out Justin Sandercoe.
He is a good YouTube-teacher for beginners. I remember learning a lot from him in the very beginning. I also think he suggests some songs (although I am not quite sure).
The best way I've found to progress quickly and properly is to play any song with chords in and then every time you come to a chord you don't know, loom it up and learn it before moving to the next section/song.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Two Piece band's Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TerrorpinBand

I just like to imagine that my neighbors enjoy their free, nightly concerts.
As soon as you can play open position chords you can pretty much play any song created it's even when you learn barre chords then you can really play anything.
Dont Worry, we were all once there. Yes try tabs and look at songs that require you to use an individual finger for each note/sound. That way you will get practice on you finger/hand positioning. Worked me me.
Try learning some nice simple riffs as well as chordal stuff, it's always fun to jam along to some cool riffs! some nice easy ones that I think everyone learns would be;
Sunshine of your love - cream
Paint it black - Rolling Stones
Iron man - Black Sabbath

you can learn anything you set your mind to, just try to play songs slowly and you'll get it eventually!
Thanks a bunch y'all, really appreciate it.. Fingers are killing me haha :P
You can't forget Smoke on the Water! In fact, I think there's a law somewhere that says that every guitarist must learn Smoke on the Water at the beginning! Also, the opening riff of Crazy Train is a great one to learn.
Definitely work on your common open chords. You can play a surprising number of songs with just a few open chords. And your open position E, A, and D power chords. You can get quite a bit going with just those.
Good luck!
Quote by JNBloomy
Try learning some nice simple riffs as well as chordal stuff, it's always fun to jam along to some cool riffs! some nice easy ones that I think everyone learns would be;
Sunshine of your love - cream
Paint it black - Rolling Stones
Iron man - Black Sabbath

you can learn anything you set your mind to, just try to play songs slowly and you'll get it eventually!

Yeah Iron man is super simple. Also another of my favorites is:

Smells like Teen Spirit - Nirvana. Super easy