I wanted to chime in on my personal experience. I was at the local guitar shop recently; played a ton of Gibson Les Paul's, every kind imaginable, I really like the MINeTune feature on the mid to upper end ones. I went there to pick up an ESP LTD EC-1000 Satin Black with gold hardware, "ESP Designed" actives.

As I was getting ready to say "This is it!" I noticed a "Used" Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro, Ebony with gold hardware, passive pickups with gold covers. Since it was $400 cheaper and showed ABSOLUTELY no sign of wear nor tear, I had to try it.

Well, I've always dissed on Epiphone, been a huge Schecter fan, lost my old Hellraiser C-1 FR Red see-thru, with EMGs, so I'd been a fan of active pickups as well.

After playing the Epi, I actually liked it A LOT better than the ESP.

It has coil splits as well, I picked it up for $399.99 and it came with a hard shell "Road Runner" case. Considering the ESP was $819 with "Gig Bag" I thought this was a steal.

Some notable differences, the Epi has a SLIGHT heavier feel to it, as well as a thicker neck. The cleans are beautiful and the distorted is raw and untamed, over driven with coil split at the neck, has a very bluesy sound.

Needless to say, my hate for Epiphone has diminished and I actually like this guitar better than my old Hellraiser. Distorted at bridge really gives me that "rip your heart out" distorted tone, and yet the cleans sounds as clear as a David Gilmour solo!

The cleans on the ESP were a bit muddy, and the distortion had that "hollow" sound you get from a beginners guitar.

I know it all comes down to personal preference but I'd just want anyone looking for a new guitar to give it a try. I did and was NOT disappointed.

Needless to say, the extra $400 saved went towards accessories and extra gear. I still walked out spending $200 less than I'd anticipated!

Side note, if you get the chance try the Peavey VYPRY VIP Series. They offer a lot for a very low price!

Congrats on your new guitar! Would you mind telling me what kind of pick-ups are on the Epi

Because I'm thinking about getting an Epi, too.
Last edited by xMusicGirlx at Apr 27, 2014,
Don't you just love the army of children with their Schecters who bash Epiphones?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
The previous owner was obvious into just modding, as not a single scratch was on the beast. But they said it had the standard ProBusters, I opened it up after I got it home and it has the Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro 2
You can't compare guitars off of spec sheets. Some of the same series can vastly differ from one another. It's hard to compare a lot of guitars in terms of feel by anything other than a case by case basis. Congrats on finding a good fit!
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Don't you just love the army of children with their Schecters who bash Epiphones?

Yeah; I was going for a blackjack initially, then my SISTER of all people said she liked the look of the Les Paul body better.
Quote by fragydig529
The previous owner was obvious into just modding, as not a single scratch was on the beast. But they said it had the standard ProBusters, I opened it up after I got it home and it has the Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro 2

Nice score.
I picked up a Epi traditional pro last August and couldn't be happier with it. Stays in tune, intonates almost perfect. The only thing I didnt really like was the probucker bridge pup, but that is more of an output issue not a tone problem so if I want to a heavier sound I use my ESP/LTD viper 400.

Nice find!
Quote by blackleo89
Nice dude, you got lucky with those pups in there.

Yeah, and the fact that Guitar Center thought it had stock pickups.

Gotta love it. Can't beat $399.99 with SD Alnico 2 Pro, and a Hardshell case.
Nice,I've not owned an Epi since the 90's,It sounded nice tbh but had QC and tuning issues.I'm considering an Epi Dot or Sheraton for blues and Jazz so it's nice to hear they're decent these days.
Personally I prefer the EC-1000 just for the 24 frets, but hey - if you liked the Epi better, more power to you. Though I've never heard of an EC-1000 with ESP designed pickups...
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.