So I kinda suck at singing but I've always wanted to properly learn. Is 17 too old to start taking vocal lessons?
e-married to Jack (bladez)
I'd say probably not, but I don't really know. Check out the singing forum for similar threads or post this thread there (or wait for it to be moved, because it will).
Definitely not. Get to it immediately. Start with youtube videos and practice at home, then when you find a good and affordable vocal coach, go for it!
Quote by angusfan16
I'd say that's too young

I say that about a lot of people but it never stops me.

OT: No, 17 is certainly not too old.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by deadsmileyface
Yeah man, just give it up now man, way too old, no chance

Wow look at that, an honest reply.
I'm no accomplished singer, but from my experience singing is all about dem feels and confidence.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
I started singing for my band at like, age 21. I'm now the lead singer and share lead guitar duties and rhythm. you can learn at any age.
Not to be a dick but if you really can't sing like you say, then it seems that getting lessons wouldn't really make you be able to sing that much better, you're definitely not too old but consider the cost of getting lessons and the actual reward you will get from it, you could spend lots and still not be happy with your voice.
If you're confident you'll be happy with the results tho I say go for it.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Quote by ProgFripp74
Not to be a dick but if you really can't sing like you say, then it seems that getting lessons wouldn't really make you be able to sing that much better, you're definitely not too old but consider the cost of getting lessons and the actual reward you will get from it, you could spend lots and still not be happy with your voice.
If you're confident you'll be happy with the results tho I say go for it.

I never thought I could sing.

It took a while for me to get used to the whole "finding the key thing". Sometimes changing the key is absolute vital.
Quote by Philip_pepper
I never thought I could sing.

It took a while for me to get used to the whole "finding the key thing". Sometimes changing the key is absolute vital.

I think having the right key is always important.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by guitarist41
I'm no accomplished singer, but from my experience singing is all about dem feels and confidence.

And projection.

That's what separates the people on your Facebook news feed from Idol stars.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
And projection.

That's what separates the people on your Facebook news feed from Idol stars.

I don't have Facebook. What's an Idol star? I'm confused.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Quote by guitarist41
I don't have Facebook. What's an Idol star? I'm confused.

It's okay, it'll all be over soon
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by ProgFripp74
Not to be a dick but if you really can't sing like you say, then it seems that getting lessons wouldn't really make you be able to sing that much better

I'm pretty sure it's actually the other way around. A person who can't sing well naturally will benefit more from singing lessons because they'll actually learn how to sing well, as opposed to someone who already sings kind of well and just learns how to sing better.
i sing. never had lessons. check out my covers on my channel?

vocal covers v v v v v v v
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by ProgFripp74
Not to be a dick but if you really can't sing like you say, then it seems that getting lessons wouldn't really make you be able to sing that much better,

That's absolutely not true. Learning to sing is just like learning anything else. Someone who has natural talent might have an easier time with it, but even the most horrible of singers can improve pitch accuracy and voice quality with practice. Imagine how ridiculous this advice would sound if you were talking about learning guitar.

"Not to be a dick but if you really can't play guitar like you say, then it seems that getting lessons wouldn't really make you be able to play guitar that much better,"
Hey, fifteen year old me, that's not how you spell "Genesis"
Quote by StewieSwan
Of course not

You called?
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
I started taking singing lessons aged 21, my tutor says that it's a good age for men because our voices still develop for a few more years but have mostly settled. That's a good time to develop control.
Quote by sickman411
I'm pretty sure it's actually the other way around. A person who can't sing well naturally will benefit more from singing lessons because they'll actually learn how to sing well, as opposed to someone who already sings kind of well and just learns how to sing better.

This so so much. There's a lot that goes into good vocal technique that I had no idea about. Even just rounding out the fundamentals will go a long way

Quote by Weaponized
Join your school's choir

Also this because it will boost your confdence
Not at all, thats actually a really good time to start. Singing is not one of those things you can start really young, because a lot of stuff changes in your voice as you grow up. (I mean there are boys choirs, but you have to be singing really soft gentle stuff. Harder singing when you're young will destroy your voice.) Definitely go for it.

Also joining choir is good, especially if you cannot sing at all, but it won't really help you sing non-choir stuff that much. Mostly it helps you with pitch matching and basic stuff. I made my school's chamber choir by senior year, and our school had a really good choir program (best in the state 7 years running), but my solo voice was awful until just recently. A big game changer for me was just deciding that I was going to sing whether it sounded good or not. And after I decided that, it started to sound much better.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Singing is about having a good ear and muscle memory. Pick up your guitar and sing the lowest note you can to the highest.
Take note of what those notes are so you know what your range is. Pick a key in the middle of your range (not to high, not to low) and sing the major scale as you play it. Do this for the minor scale as well. Then try to sing them without playing the guitar.
Another exercise it to play a chord and sing the 5th the root or the 3rd. Then move on to extensions like the 6th, 7th and 9th.
The first thing you should be familiar with is definitely the root, 3rd and 5th though.
You should also practice singing intervals from a reference note. So if your practicing 3rds you'd play a note and sing a Major third above or below it.

Then learn Folsom Prison Blues. Everybody like Folsom Prison Blues.
17 too old

what are you a jedi or something
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.