Hello,
I`m getting a new guitar and I have this doubt.
Does having a floyd rose reduce sustain? How does the tone change? I know that changing string gauge or tuning is a mess with the floyd. Are there any other disadvantages? Does the string thru guitar have disadvantages over the floyd?
Thanks
Advantage of a Floyd Rose:
Dive Bombs
Tremolo
Awesome Looks
Saying "I have a Floyd Rose"

Disadvantages:
Sustain reduction
Harder to restring
Harder to put new guage strings on
One string pops, the WHOLE guitar goes outta tune

Honestly, I had a FR, and I used it like ONCE in 3 years, I have a set bridge now. Never looking back either.
In theory yes Floyd roses reduce sustain but there's also 100 other things that factor in to sustain. Best thing to do is try it and see if it sounds good to you.

The only disadvantage to string through is that you don't have a floyed rose to play with, they are very different guitars. I normally wouldn't recommend a Floyd or any trem to a beginner or as an only guitar but its really something you have to make up your own mind about nobody here can tell you if you will love or hate them.
Quote by Jayerrr

Does having a floyd rose reduce sustain?

Yes.
How does the tone change?

It depends on what guitar you're talking about and what floyd rose bridge it's using. Generally guitars with Floyds sound brighter. Because there is a much less direct contact between the strings and the body, there is a lesser subtraction of treble frequencies from the wood itself. Which leads to a perception of a brighter sound.
I know that changing string gauge or tuning is a mess with the floyd. Are there any other disadvantages?

Yes. Guitars with Floyd Rose bridges that actually work the way they're supposed to are a lot more expensive than those without a floyd. There is a lot less mechanical complexity with a fixed bridge guitar, therefore they're much less likely to go wrong. Also, breaking a string on a floyd renders the guitar unplayable.

In terms of playability, double bending will always cause the static note of the bend to go flat. Other than blocking the floyd off, you just have to put on a brave face and deal with that shortcoming.
Does the string thru guitar have disadvantages over the floyd?

You cannot do silly squeals and fart noises on a fixed bridge.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 27, 2014,
Quote by fragydig529
Advantage of a Floyd Rose:
Dive Bombs
Tremolo
Awesome Looks
Saying "I have a Floyd Rose"

Disadvantages:
Sustain reduction
Harder to restring
Harder to put new guage strings on
One string pops, the WHOLE guitar goes outta tune

Honestly, I had a FR, and I used it like ONCE in 3 years, I have a set bridge now. Never looking back either.

+1. FR would be more for performers who stick to one type of tuning. But if you're going to change tuning a lot don't bother getting a FR. It's a pain to tune. I've owned a couple of FR guitars and I barely use them.
Um...I really haven't noticed a drop in sustain with the Floyds. At least I haven't noticed a drop in sustain that I could attribute to a Floyd. In fact, if you drop one of the aftermarket brass sustain blocks onto a Floyd, you'll often find an increase in sustain.

One of the advantages of a Floyd Rose that hasn't been mentioned is the virtual elimination of tuning issues. On an LP in particular, I'm much happier with a Floyd than with the standard nut hassles. I'd have to agree with the other disadvantages; it takes an extra few minutes to restring. I'm not sure that it really causes problems with a new gauge of strings (if you're talking a one-gauge jump, it's not really a problem). If you're going more than a single gauge up or down, you're likely to have problems with your nut and your intonation on a string-through guitar, too.
Quote by Granata
+1. FR would be more for performers who stick to one type of tuning.

Unless you have a Variax JTV 89F, in which case alternate tunings are a breeze with a Floyd.
Quote by dspellman
One of the advantages of a Floyd Rose that hasn't been mentioned is the virtual elimination of tuning issues.

But it should be noted that a floyd rose tremolo IS NOT REQUIRED to have a locking nut system. They can actually be installed on a fixed bridge guitar

So, that kinda eliminates that "benefit".
You can restring a broken string with a Floyd, too. Saves time from stretching.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Jeff Beck or Eddie Van Halen? Both seem to make good use of their chosen tools and neither suffers from a lack of sustain.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 27, 2014,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Jeff Beck or Eddie Van Halen? Both seem to make good use of their chosen tools and neither suffers from a lack of sustain.

I'm quite sure they were not using stock pickups either.
Quote by fragydig529

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. The original Frankenstrat had a stock HB Eddie borrowed from his Gibson ES335 for VH1. Jeff Becks highest selling albums were also stock pups. No fancy equipment voodoo needed other than perhaps some golden fingers.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by fragydig529

Unlikely that pickups are going to have a major effect on native guitar sustain (as opposed to compression-simulated sustain) other than to reduce it.
Quote by fragydig529
But it should be noted that a floyd rose tremolo IS NOT REQUIRED to have a locking nut system. They can actually be installed on a fixed bridge guitar

Well, since a properly installed Floyd Rose trem is a double locking system and since the other half of a double lock includes the locking nut, let's consider a properly installed Floyd Rose for now.

While you CAN install a Floyd Rose without the locking nut (and yes, people do), it's a bit like installing three of the four tires on your car and complaining about the handling.

The whole point of a Floyd Rose is to allow maximum trem usage without losing tune. It's the single most important feature of the design.

I'm not clear, by the way, on what you meant by "they can actually be installed on a fixed bridge guitar." WHAT can be installed on a fixed bridge guitar -- a locking nut?
Quote by fragydig529

When you tighten a locking nut it's invariably going to sharpen the strings - that's the whole point of the fine tuners on a Floyd. A locking nut on a fixed bridge, or indeed any bridge without fine tuners, is utterly useless.

Sure your guitar will hold its tuning brilliantly, it'll just be completely, rock-solidly, out of tune - i'd hardly class that as a "benefit".
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
with difficulty hurhur

probably more bother than it's worth, in most cases. and as mark/seagull implied, kind of pointless unless the bridge has fine tuners too (some of those schaller hardtail bridges do, I think, so it's not impossible to do it and make it work, i assume).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Jayerrr
how do you install a locking nut system on a non floyd guitar?

There are a few fixed bridges with fine tuners.