As I mentioned in another thread, I got bit by the Les Paul bug. I was at the Guitar Center today looking at some. I was looking at the Studio models, but the 120th Anniversary Traditional model with the piping, ivory-look tuning knobs, 120th anniversary banner at the 12th fret, honeyburst finish, and other doo-dads was calling out to me. Problem is, the price is $2600. On the way home I was trying to figure out how to come up with another $1000+ to buy that one.

I came across one that is as new in box for $1900. Only a few weeks old, no marks, all papers. The Studio model would have been $1500.

I'm certain that this $1900 guitar is the same one as the $2600 I saw in GC. It has the TonePros vintage tuners, ivory look tuning knobs, 120th anniversary banner, 59 Tribute humbuckers, and everything else that's on the $2600 one at GC. The other Traditional model that GC sells for $1900 has open humbuckers, and a different brand of all chrome tuning machines, so it's not that.

Any reason I shouldn't buy this one for $1900?
Are the "Ivory looking tune knobs" the MinETune?

It's a great system, but not worth the extra money. I went for an Epi LP Custom Pro over the 120th Anniversary Gibson.
No, they're the TonePros TPK33 model, as seen here: http://www.toneproskluson.com/models.html

This isn't all just looks. The Studio model was beautiful, but the 120th Anniversary sounded much richer. I know that a lot of variables enter into that. It also felt better for my fretting hand. It's a lot heavier than the Studio model, which is already a lot heavier than a Strat, what I'm used to playing.
I'd say go for the 1900 if it plays the same to you, if the uncovered pickups are a problem, you can buy the covers and install them pretty cheaply.

Imagine saving $1000 and what gear you could spend that on?

I agree, the 120th Gibson sounds AMAZING, but the Epi Custom Pro I bought for a fraction of the price sounds almost identical. I couldn't justify spending $1000 more for a slightly slimmer neck and SLIGHTLY better tone.

I'm simply going to replace the pots on mine. It'll be A LOT cheaper than the $1000 difference in the 2 I was deciding from.

Be wary though, GC almost got me with their "Special Gibson LPJ Pro" which doesn't even exist. So do your research. I almost went with this LPJP, for $1400, and it was simply a 2013 Gibson JPJ with covers on it.
Why shouldn't you?

Have you considered what you can get for the same money in a LP-styled Carvin?

22 fret
http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/cs6

24 fret
http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/cs624

Semihollow
http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshop/semihollowcarvedtop.php
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 27, 2014,
The older trads probably still have the swiss cheese weight relief as opposed to all solid on the trads from '13 and on. I personally love the old trads more than studios and standards and can tell you youd def be getting the real deal with the 1900 one.
The pickups are covered. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. It's on the less expensive Traditional that they're not covered.

I know the Carvins are fine guitars, but I wanted a Gibson Les Paul. Maybe next guitar.

blackleo89, the 120th is definitely heavier than a regular Traditional.

DubfromGA, that's the banner that's at the 12th fret.
Quote by Monkeyleg

I know the Carvins are fine guitars, but I wanted a Gibson Les Paul.

I understand perfectly!
Nothing wrong with that. Good luck on your Gibson quest.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

The Les Paul arrived today. It's gorgeous. My Strats look good, but this makes them look like Plain Janes. Classic beauty.
We want pix! We want pix! We want pix!

Quote by Monkeyleg
The pickups are covered. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. It's on the less expensive Traditional that they're not covered.

I know the Carvins are fine guitars, but I wanted a Gibson Les Paul. Maybe next guitar.

blackleo89, the 120th is definitely heavier than a regular Traditional.

DubfromGA, that's the banner that's at the 12th fret.

Yup. That was a pic I took of my SG. Very cool commemorative touch.

Looking forward to seeing your Les Paul. Get those pics up !!!!
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Squier Standard Stratocaster HSS
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
If the one you played is really the one you want, I wouldn't settle for another one. You'll end up spending more money in the long run trying to get what you should have in the first place.

I think GC is doing 12-month 0% financing right now. Drop $1500, pay the rest off in 10 months, and have the guitar you really want.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
JustRooster, you're a little late. I already have it. It's just like new.

GC wanted $2610 plus $222 in sales tax, or $2832. I got it for $1954 shipped. It's exactly like the one at GC, and in the same condition, too. Maybe better, as I didn't look for scratches on the GC one, and it was a display model. There's no scratches on the one I got.
Quote by fragydig529
I'd say go for the 1900 if it plays the same to you, if the uncovered pickups are a problem, you can buy the covers and install them pretty cheaply.

Imagine saving $1000 and what gear you could spend that on?

I agree, the 120th Gibson sounds AMAZING, but the Epi Custom Pro I bought for a fraction of the price sounds almost identical. I couldn't justify spending $1000 more for a slightly slimmer neck and SLIGHTLY better tone.

I'm simply going to replace the pots on mine. It'll be A LOT cheaper than the $1000 difference in the 2 I was deciding from.

Be wary though, GC almost got me with their "Special Gibson LPJ Pro" which doesn't even exist. So do your research. I almost went with this LPJP, for $1400, and it was simply a 2013 Gibson JPJ with covers on it.

How much do you really know about the difference in the two guitars? Hell the tone woods are different, and Epiphone guitars are usually multiple piece bodies, I know I counted 5 on my best friends Epiphone Les Paul. There is a lot more you're getting with that price increase and a huge chunk of it is build quality and attention to detail. I am not putting down Epiphone's, I still suggest them to anyone looking for an entry level Les Paul, but they aren't anything more than an entry level guitar, it's like claiming a Hyundai Genesis is equivalent to a Ferrari F430.

Also the LPJ Pro is a real guitar, not sure what you are talking about there, it's a hotrodded version of the LPJ which was a 2013 model. I don't know where you did your research but this was the second link I got from Google by searching Gibson LPJ Pro.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-lpj-pro-electric-guitar
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
fragydig529, I wasn't going to get into this fray, but I thought I'd offer up a couple of points.

I was looking at the Les Paul Studio models. I hadn't even considered spending $2600 on a guitar (which in the end I didn't). After seeing it, I was prepared to. It just grabbed me.

There's all sorts of things that are upgrades from other Les Paul models. The body is solid mahogany. It's not weight-relieved as are the other Les Paul's; it weighs nearly 10 pounds. The neck is thick, measuring 1" at the 12th fret. The tuners are of a higher quality than those used on less expensive Les Pauls. The maple on the top is a better grade. The vintage tone and volume knobs look cool, and really complement the tone of the honeyburst finish.

Is my playing at a level where all of this makes a difference? Hardly. But the thing is, I just wanted it. I was able to afford it (especially after finding such a good deal), and I wanted it. I never fault someone for spending money on something they want, unless they're engaged in human trafficking or something like that.

I have two Fender Strats, one of them an American Standard and one a MIM special edition. I also have a Squier Bullet Strat that I bought from a guy at a gas station for $50. I could buy 18 of those gas station Squier's for what I paid for the American Standard (I also got a deal on the American Standard). And the Squier, properly set up, can sound pretty good. But there's no comparison in feel, looks, weight, or obvious quality.

I'm happy, and don't regret this purchase one bit.