So I picked up some strings today to put on my Jackson Soloist. I am going to tune it down to drop B or B Standard, but before I go ahead and put the strings on, I wanted to know if I would have to mess with the truss rod? I know people say it's easy and whatever but I'd really rather not mess with it, least not right now. But I also would prefer to avoid taking it in to get setup. I have no problem messing with the bridge or maybe filing the nut a bit, but I want to avoid the truss rod.

The strings are Dunlop 12-54 designed for drop tuning.

Oh and it's a string through, not a floyd rose.
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Apr 27, 2014,
What guage HAVE you had one, prior?

I always switch from factory to Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom, and it requires no additional adjustments.

Skinny Top, Heavy Bottom Being

10 E
13 B
17 G
30 D
42 A
52 e
IMO I wouldn't play B standart under 13-74, but that's me and it always depend of the scale length of you guitar
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Most guitars ship with Light or Medium.

Light being
10 E
13 B
17 G
26 D
36 A
46 e

And medium being

11 E
15 B
18 G
26 D
36 A
50 e
----------------

I'd say on either, Trues should be fine, just adjust the lower end strings saddles a bit.
Quote by Heideck
IMO I wouldn't play B standart under 13-74, but that's me and it always depend of the scale length of you guitar

Well I am leaning further toward Drop B, but I'd typically agree but I understand the strings I have provide more tension. I've used DR Drop Down Tuning strings in a light gauge, they had the same effect when drop tuned.
Quote by fragydig529
Most guitars ship with Light or Medium.

Light being
10 E
13 B
17 G
26 D
36 A
46 e

And medium being

11 E
15 B
18 G
26 D
36 A
50 e
----------------

I'd say on either, Trues should be fine, just adjust the lower end strings saddles a bit.

I think they're 10-46's. so even if I slap on some 12-52's I'll be alright?
From personal experience, going from 10-46 to 10-52, I've never had to do anything but adjust the saddles on the bass strings a bit, not much, like not even a quarter turn.

But each guitar is different, and I've always played on a 25.5 scale, just recently switched to 24 3/4 scale length guitar, and haven't added my Skinny, Heavies yet.

----EDIT----
Mind you, the strings I prefer are
10-13-17-30-42-52

Vs the lights at
10-13-17-26-36-46
Last edited by fragydig529 at Apr 27, 2014,
Quote by fragydig529
From personal experience, going from 10-46 to 10-52, I've never had to do anything but adjust the saddles on the bass strings a bit, not much, like not even a quarter turn.

But each guitar is different, and I've always played on a 25.5 scale, just recently switched to 24 3/4 scale length guitar, and haven't added my Skinny, Heavies yet.

Yeah mine is 25.5 scale. Thinking it'll probably be alright. Thanks
Quote by Ironic Maiden
Yeah mine is 25.5 scale. Thinking it'll probably be alright. Thanks

Yeah, on my old 25.5 I didn't even have to adjust saddles.
Quote by Ironic Maiden
…I wanted to know if I would have to mess with the truss rod?

Maybe. You’ll just have to put the strings on and see what happens. It’s not a thick neck, so it’s likely to bow back a little. But if you have one with graphite rods in the neck it might not bow at all.