Recently this old guitar amp has come into my possession. Basically I am trying to find anything I can about it. So far as I can tell it is a Kent A-160 tube amp and I think it is older than my dad (50+ years).

Does anybody know the model year? Also trying to determine the value/price. I'd like to turn it into a project and refinish the whole thing with new wood, tubes, etc but don't want to ruin something that may be inherently valuable as is.

Any insight is welcome!

Photos at the following link:

https://imgur.com/a/F4ZQx
I don't know anything about that amp, much less how much it's worth.
But speaking merely as a guitar player, I'd definitely keep it and restore it to its former glory so that I could use it. It's the kind of project I'd really enjoy. Plus, it looks awesome.

Please keep us posted if you decide to restore it, and a thread with step-by-step pictures of the process would certainly be appreciated over at the Gear Building & Customizing subforum.

Congratulations, it's a nice score!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
KENT
Amplifiers previously produced in Korea and Japan between circa 1962 and 1968. Distributed in the U.S. by Buegeleisen & Jacobson of New York, NY, Maxwell Meyers in TX, Southland Musical Merchandise Corporation in NC, and Harris Fandel Corporation in Massachusetts.
The Kent trademark was used on a full line of acoustic guitars, solid body electric guitars, amplifiers, banjos, and mandolins imported into the U.S. market during the 1960s. Some of the earlier Kent guitars were built in Japan by either the Teisco company or Guyatone, but the quality level at this time is down at the entry or student level. The majority of the models were built in Korea and both tube and solid-state models were available. Source: Walter Murray, Frankenstein Fretworks; and Michael Wright, Guitar Stories, Volume One.

basically they are 1960's overseas products made for american markets. this was not uncommon for back in the day. i have owned a number of vintage guitars and amps spec'd by american stores and distributors but made in east asia.

as for price, it's probably worth a 300 bucks at most if you can find someone who would be interested in it. a more realistic value would be about 150 bucks or less, you'd be able to find a buyer more readily at those prices.

i am sure it is a fine product though, it's just that obscure old products have very little market value. for example, i have a number of old supro's from the 50's that i got for a few hundred bucks but if they were fenders then they'd go for almost a grand.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Apr 27, 2014,