Page 1 of 2
I already have a tube amp - so please do not say that tube amps are better. I'm looking for something less expensive that can take more abuse without damage. I am looking for a good sounding amplifier that I shall use where I deem not worth risking to damage my tube amp.

What I am looking for is something around 60W maybe up to 100. I consider both combo and head/cabinet setups. It must have an effects loop. Preferably no effects built in except for maybe a reverb. Definitely NO amp modelling.

I would like some suggestions of good amplifiers that I can try.

Please, also recommend a couple of distortion pedals to compliment a solid state amplifier.
Fender Princeton Chorus or Marshal Mosfet Lead 100 are the only ones I can recommend in good conscious.
Old school Roland Cube 60. A very simple, musical sounding amp that stands up today. It's the little bro of a venerable JC120. Essentially all modern SS amps have DSP effects so you need to go back in time.

http://www.justgreatguitars.com/images/ProductImages/R96/2.jpg
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Marshall VS8100 or one of the combos:
http://gear-vault.com/marshall-8100-valvestate/
This one is voiced to deliver clean, to blues, to rock to thrash, works great with overdrive for extra gain if you need it.

Carvin SS is good.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/SX200

Tech21:
http://tech21nyc.com/products/amps/guitar/trademark60.html

old GK was really good:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Gallien-Krueger-212LC-Guitar-Combo-GK-2x12-Amplifier-w-Celestion-Speakers-/181393368099?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3be32423

Roland Jazz Chorus if you want to go more pedal heavy.

As far as fx, I like chorus and delay in fx loop, and maybe overdrive in the front.
Marshall Guvnor, Sparkle drive for od
Voodoolabs Chorus
MXR delay or Modtone MT-AD.
For heavier stuff, a Sunn Beta Lead or maybe an Ampeg VH140c/SS140c.

For everything else, a Roland Jazz Chorus.

I've always found the Proco Rat and Big Muff to play pretty well with SS.
Last edited by iwannabesedated at Apr 27, 2014,
Quote by iwannabesedated
For heavier stuff, a Sunn Beta Lead or maybe an Ampeg VH140c/SS140c.

For everything else, a Roland Jazz Chorus.

I've always found the Proco Rat and Big Muff to play pretty well with SS.
Thousand ups for this, the ampeg VH140c in particular.

Them or some of the current randall big SS stuff.
The cleans are a bit meh but the distortion channels breathe fire.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The Peavey Stereo Chorus is pretty nice and can be found cheap.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Ow yeah, there's also the yamaha G100 combo if you can find one.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Mid to high level Randalls are the best SS amps on the market these days.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
The new Randall RG serie is awesome, so either RG1003 or RG1503. (same amp, different wattage)

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 28, 2014,
old Kustoms, Sunn Betas, Acoustic 270R

you can find them pretty cheap too.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I'd have to ask though - why preferably SS?

I've had better track record on tube amps in most cases.

For example, gigged for about 8 years on Peavey 50/50 classic (the power amp, copy from the Mesa 50:50) in a hybrid PSA-1 SS preamp / tube power rig and didn't have a single hiccup. The amp was working at least 4 days per week for about 3 hrs or more, one tube change overall $80 cost. This amp was brand new when I put it in use.

2 years constant rehearsal/touring with JCM900 (English made) - 1 tube change. This amp was about 10 yrs old, bought used but in decent to good condition.

On the other hand when I played bass in another band, I had to repair SS amps twice, to the tune of about double what the tube changes cost me. Just some food for thought...
Quote by Gab_Azz
I already have a tube amp - so please do not say that tube amps are better. I'm looking for something less expensive that can take more abuse without damage. I am looking for a good sounding amplifier that I shall use where I deem not worth risking to damage my tube amp.

You've been given a number of excellent suggestions so my only minor contribution is to say that your initial premise is faulty.

SS amps aren't more durable than tube amps, quality amps are more durable than crap amps.

That's it, end of story.

There are any number of valid reasons why one might want a Solid State amp, and I'll not quibble the point, but durability isn't one of them.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I have a Fender Deluxe 40W tube amp, with an enclosure. I also use quite a number of effects. I want the effects loop for delays, phasers, choruses and such pedals, but most importantly because I ALWAYS use an MXR 10 band EQ to get the right sound. I find it particularly great on distorted sounds in conjunction with the TS9 and a delay during lead sections. I already tried a Fender SS amp and it sounds great when used on clean channel and using dime distortion (and 10 band eq). But I would like to try something different before committing to purchase.

I am only considering new amps. No second hand ones as these are hard to find here. Also, I don't like modeling amps, valve states and complex effects inside the amp. Maybe because I had bad experiences with those.

Furthermore, I had a SS cheap amp with complex effects and stuff that ended up costing me more money in repairs than it costs new. But I have a Marshall SS amp that I had for about 10 years. Once my dog pulled the lead and it fell about 3 feet knobs first and the effects dont work anymore but the amp still works. The problem is that this is a 30W amp and I only use it to practice at home as it is not loud enough. Also, it does not have an effects loop.

Hope I have answered all the questions, and thank you for replying!
We all want what we want right? Try one of the new Roland cube amps.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I have tried 5 amps from 5 different stores. I have tried the following: Randall, Fender, Peavey, Marshall and Laney.

The guy selling Randalls I believe he didn't want to sell as he showed me a 200W amp with a pre-amp tube when I specifically asked for a SS amp. Furthermore it had a metalish distorted sound and it lacked the mids on clean. After he showed me a variant of the same am at 75W this time I got decent clean sound but the distortion was bad. Then he showed me a KH signature which is too bulky for me.

The Peavey Bandit also did not fit my style at all. Clean did not have nice clean and the distortion was too rough. I played on a 100W amp.

The Laney was a 65W so I think I would like to try something more close to 100W. I got a decent clean sound but the distortion was awful. Quoting the guy at the store as he saw my face playing the distortion 'You asked for a Solid-State and you got it'.

Next up is the Marshall. I tried an entry class Marshall at 100W. It costs about the same as the Randall and the Peavey. But the other two amps have only 1 speaker while this one has 2. This amp had nice clean sound and also good distortion sound. The built in effects are pretty decent same as the distortion. I could easily use them for a band practise not bothering to travel with the whole pedal board. It has a pretty decent sound considering the price and it is a low range amplifier. Actually it had the best sounding distortion out of all the amps I've played.

Finally The Fender, another 100W amp. This amp is the most similar in sound to my Fender tube amp. Also it has 2 speakers as the Marshall. It features a true spring reverb like the Randall (not sure about the Peavey as I did not bother after I couldn't get a good sound) where as the Marshall has a processor based that models spring reverb. Furthermore it is about 30% cheaper than the other 100W amps. The sound on the clean is the most sparkly of all the SS amps I've tried. The distortion on the other hand is not so great especially compared to the Marshall, but I can get around that with pedals. Also, the price is slightly reduced as the fender does not have any built in effects - which I do not need.
Last edited by Gab_Azz at May 17, 2014,
^An amp with a single preamp tube is essentially a solid state amp. Sometimes the tube doesn't do anything except glow.

I'm still not quite sure why you want a Solid State amp.
Get a roadcase for your current amp. Cheaper than a whole new amp and you won't have to put up with inferior tone.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by pinheadslts75
Fender Princeton Chorus or Marshall Mosfet Lead 100 are the only ones I can recommend in good conscious.

Quote by Cathbard
Get a roadcase for your current amp. Cheaper than a whole new amp and you won't have to put up with inferior tone.

+2 on both of these suggestions.

Even better yet, do both.
You protect your tube amp and also have a backup amp.

Ya know, it seems like the words "Mosfet Lead 100" are coming up more and more around these parts lately.
Kinda wish I still had mine.
I guess I'll just have to settle for my AC30 *sigh*.
A Fender Princeton Chorus wouldn't be too bad. Recently I hung out with an old friend/bandmate and we listened to a bunch of our old songs. At the time, I was sporting a Fender Princeton Chorus with a bd2 pedal and I was really surprised by how good my guitar tone was. Of course a lot of it is probably studio tweaking afterwards but I was pretty shocked. It will NOT work well for metal, even with pedals but I used to use a real grungy tone and it worked pretty good.

Imo Fender makes the best, non modeling, non metal, affordabless amps. Although, I guess there's not really too many of those in the market anymore.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
QUOTE:The new Randall RG serie is awesome, so either RG1003 or RG1503. (same amp, different wattage)

+1
i would advise one without transistors or op amps in the signal chain. i guess the only really other option would be tube.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The preamp tube, even though makes the amp still SS, it is the weak-spot. In fact the store had a brand new one with a faulty tube.

A road case is not what I need because what I'm concerned about is when I share the stage with another band, they would mistreat my amp. This has happened in the past luckily enough it was a hired amp as mine was in for repairs. The other guitarist stood on the amp; then started jumping; kicked it several times and spilled beer all over the amp. Furthermore, my tube amp has the knobs facing upwards. This makes it more prone to damage, what I have previously mentioned.

Thank you for your contribution!
Quote by Gab_Azz
. The other guitarist stood on the amp; then started jumping; kicked it several times and spilled beer all over the amp. Furthermore, my tube amp has the knobs facing upwards. This makes it more prone to damage, what I have previously mentioned.

Wtf?! Why on Earth would you let someone do that? Thats not common, its assholian and you should have done something about it besides buy a new amp for assholes to climb on. Thats absurd.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
Quote by Gab_Azz
A road case is not what I need because what I'm concerned about is when I share the stage with another band, they would mistreat my amp. This has happened in the past luckily enough it was a hired amp as mine was in for repairs. The other guitarist stood on the amp; then started jumping; kicked it several times and spilled beer all over the amp. Furthermore, my tube amp has the knobs facing upwards. This makes it more prone to damage, what I have previously mentioned.
Wtf?! Why on Earth would you let someone do that? Thats not common, its assholian and you should have done something about it besides buy a new amp for assholes to climb on. Thats absurd.

+3,1415

Gab_Azz, you're an absolute doormat for allowing someone to do that, even if the amp wasn't yours.

First, I wouldn't let anyone use my gear if I didn't have absolute confidence in them.
I don't know you, you won't touch my gear. Period.

Also, the minute I saw someone starting to abuse gear that I knew it wasn't theirs, and the gear's owner weren't around, I'd do something about it.
If the owner sees it happening and doesn't mind, that's fine by me. If the owner doesn't know, I won't let it happen.
I'd appreciate if people did the same for me if they saw someone messing with my equipment and I wasn't noticing.

Basically, you don't need a new amp (although a roadcase to protect your Fender Deluxe is always a nice investment). You need to learn to take a stand to protect what's yours.
Don't let other people share your gear, and make sure they don't mess with it in any way.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Gab_Azz
The preamp tube, even though makes the amp still SS, it is the weak-spot. In fact the store had a brand new one with a faulty tube.

Grow a pair of balls.

If someone did that to my amp, I would pick up the nearest Telecaster and do what Telecasters are also good for.

I had a jam with some friends at my house a few years back.
They brought one new guy (which is not out of the ordinary).
We set up then went outside to toke up and have a beer.
I go back in the house and this new guy has a microphone plugged into my AC30, plus the bastard is eating my Cheetos.
I told him to get the fuck out of my house and never return.
And yes, I actually did say that.
Never saw him after that and my friends apologized profusely.

NO ONE FUCKS WITH MY AMP. PERIOD

Edit:
Oh, and when that bastard left, he took the fucking Cheetos with him.
Last edited by CodeMonk at May 17, 2014,
Quote by CodeMonk
Grow a pair of balls.

If someone did that to my amp, I would pick up the nearest Telecaster and do what Telecasters are also good for.

I had a jam with some friends at my house a few years back.
They brought one new guy (which is not out of the ordinary).
We set up then went outside to toke up and have a beer.
I go back in the house and this new guy has a microphone plugged into my AC30, plus the bastard is eating my Cheetos.
And yes, I actually did say that.
Never saw him after that and my friends apologized profusely.

Edit:
Oh, and when that bastard left, he took the fucking Cheetos with him.

You'd lightly strum him to death?
Telecasters are why guitars are called axes. They make a fine weapon. Even if it gets knocked out of your hands the only thing that gets damaged is the floor. You just pick it up again and you're back in business.
And what's this lightly strumming nonsense? Mine takes a hell of a beating. It's my punk guitar, it gets played the hardest out of all my guitars.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
And what's this lightly strumming nonsense? Mine takes a hell of a beating. It's my punk guitar, it gets played the hardest out of all my guitars.

+1

Be rough. Do it right.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
The owner of the shop I hired it from knew what was going on, the other guitarist called him earlier. On another occasion, the audience pushed to the extent that they hit a PA speaker. Luckily I was in the right place to catch it. I've seen such things locally happen number of times. I want the solid state amp for smaller venues where it is likely to be too crowded to have control on the equipment.
Get a pod and radio mic up from your guitar to pod and from pod to PA input. That way you can tuck the pod out of the way somewhere safe and you can move out of the way if things get hairy.
Quote by iwannabesedated
You'd lightly strum him to death?

Maybe I would strum.
But not lightly, heavy enough the break at lest one string.
At least then I would have a garrote
Quote by Cathbard
Telecasters are why guitars are called axes. They make a fine weapon. Even if it gets knocked out of your hands the only thing that gets damaged is the floor. You just pick it up again and you're back in business.

hmmm this makes me miss my tele
Quote by CodeMonk
I'm not sure I get this.
I mean he used your amp without your permission, that seems a bit of an overreaction to me, he wasn't jumping over it and kicking it and shite.
Quote by CodeMonk

Edit: hell yeah teles FTW
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Just nevermind why I would like to get a SS amp. Just I am looking for an amp. At the moment I like the Fender Frontman. So If you know about anything that may sound better I would gladly look into it. Please, no valvestates nor modelling amps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-z_qNNcVz8

this is a tube amp. it is plenty durable, and ALL done in a continuous shot. and don't be a bitch.

nobody plays my gear i don't offer it to anybody. my friends know if they come and play they come with an amp. if it was a good friend, it woudln't be a big deal if he didn't have one once in a while (stopping over after work and bringing some beer over for example.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Frontman has okay cleans and reverb but any kind of distortion at all and it is complete crap.

If you're going to ban Tube, Hybrids, and/or Modeling amps from the discussion you're really limiting your choices.

If you're looking for something like a Frontman the Princeton Chorus is a solid choice that was already mentioned. Much better sounding as well. The Roland Jazz Chorus is similar as well and even better.
Page 1 of 2