I've got and Emg 85/81 setup in my Schecter Hellraiser and I'm having some problems. It has one 9-volt battery as a power source, a volume and tone nob, and a three-way switch. When I plug it in to my metal distortion pedal and have max distortion it sounds like crunch at best. I opened my guitar and checked the wiring to discover that the black battery wire was not soldered to the output. I soldered it and the dull sound was the same. It never used to sound this way and I also noticed that it sounds the same regardless of the presence of a battery. This leads me to believe that the battery (which is brand new) is not providing power to the pickups. Could it be a bad wire or something else? I also checked my other pedals and the sound is the same. I don't believe its my amp and my instrument cables are brand new. the three-way switch makes a deep popping sound when I play clean as well, but not with distortion. Please Help!
Make sure all the connections are where they should be on the pickups and in the control cavity. Pictures would be helpful. My guess is the connection between the battery clip and the pickups (red wires) came undone somehow.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Had the same problem with my old one, forget they were active.

Bought a new battery. BAM
Distorted my face.
All three wired are connected there? Hmmmmmmmm.......
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
One basic thing to check is the connection on the pickups themselves. On the underside, there is that 3 prong connector. You should be able to see the little arrow on there. I had someone bring a guitar to me that was having similar issues. Turns out that's what was wrong. He had it come from the factory that way.

Barring that, if it seems that your pickups are not getting power, I would look at the jack. EMGs use a stereo jack and those jacks start powering the pickups when there is a cable plugged in. Make sure everything is connected right there as well. I've seen that issue a lot with EMGs too. If something is soldered wrong or if the solder job wasn't done well and the solder ran a bit, it could be causing some problems as well.
Okay, so I took out the humbuckers before I soldered the wire, but put the humbuckers back in and attached them incorrectly, which resulted in the same issue I was having before I soldered the wire. So I thought my attempts to fix it weren't working but I attached the wires correctly and it sounds great! Thanks for the help.