I've been playing electric guitar for about 4 or so years now with lessons, and for the past couple years just haven't had any fun at all with it. I used to practice quite extensively, but these days I barely pick the thing up 2 times a week for like 10 minutes. My technique is horrendous, but I just don't have the will power to sit down every day to try and fix it, after about 5 - 10 minutes of practicing scales I usually get pissed off from how bad I'm doing when I used to be so much better, and I just put it down and go lie down or something.

I don't like playing songs either, it takes too long to learn it, I don't have fun and once I learn a song I never want to hear that song again, and as such I never learn songs and I just practice alt picking, so yeah I have a pretty horrible time playing guitar. Every song is either too hard (I can't play fast at all, and that's pretty much the only thing I care about, I know, it's dumb) or too easy. The only reason I still take lessons is cause for these past 4 years, it's been the only thing I know, it's the only thing I can do, and I want to be good at it, I really do, I just can't bring myself to get good. In the past year or so I've gotten into contemporary acoustic guitar (Andy Mckee, Antoine Dufour etc.) and I enjoy that a lot, and I am already better at that than my 4 years worth of electric guitar playing. Should I just quit electric guitar and lessons, realize that it's only doing harm, and just play acoustic full time? Or is there a way to make me enjoy electric guitar again? I know I've bitched about this before in previous posts, so apologies if I'm beating a dead horse here.
Quote by Jimjambanx
Or is there a way to make me enjoy electric guitar again

Only you can know if you truly enjoy electric guitar man. It's really not a big deal either, life's way too short to spend your time on things you don't enjoy.

I wouldn't say to consciously quit electric guitar, but just let it fade out if it's not what you want to play. If you're getting into acoustic, use that new found love and build motivation off of it!
It's a big world out there so follow your muse. Guitar is not for everybody, which is why God invented golf courses, sailboats, motorsports, skydiving...............
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 28, 2014,
Yes, quit lessons if you don't enjoy them. But I wouldn't completely quit electric guitar. Electric and acoustic guitar do support each other. And actually you can play exactly the same stuff on both. So I don't know how it's so strange that you are better on acoustic than electric - they are not really any different from each other. You have been playing the guitar for 4 years, not just electric guitar.

Maybe try some other genres on electric. Maybe learn some jazz, funk or blues. Or write your own stuff or join a band. Shredding in your bedroom gets boring pretty easily.

At least don't sell your gear. You may regret it later. You still like playing the guitar. You just prefer acoustic at the moment.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Apr 28, 2014,
I think you answered your own questions if you don't enjoy playing the guitar than don't play it find something you'd rather enjoy more than plucking strings.. Ya know that old saying "different strokes for different folks"
I'd reccommend you try rocksmith 2014. It brings in a whole new type of fun to your playing because it's technically a game that works as a guitar teacher. I've started playing really much more since I got the game.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
You don't mention playing with other people, or performing. That's the fun bit! Electric guitar isn't a one player game really for most of us.

Frankly acoustic guitar is much more versatile and all the skills are useful if ever you want to go back to electric. What are you waiting for?
Quote by Phil Starr
You don't mention playing with other people, or performing. That's the fun bit! Electric guitar isn't a one player game really for most of us.

If only, no one in my area plays any instruments, and no one is interested in a band. Playing with others is simply not an option.
You sound like you have some serious motivation issues their bud. I was very depressed for a period of 3-4 years and during that time i lost all motivation for guitar, in almost if not every way that you've described here, my depression slowly dissipated and i have been gradually playing more guitar since then. You don't just lose interest in something one day, only to keep it around for years to keep on trying, only to end up asking us if you should keep on playing.
Quote by Black_devils
I think you answered your own questions if you don't enjoy playing the guitar than don't play it find something you'd rather enjoy more than plucking strings.. Ya know that old saying "different strokes for different folks"

I used to really enjoy it though, it's just that once I hit this wall I lost all motivation to play. The idea of one day making a band and making music excites me, I just can't seem to put the effort in. This same exact problem happened to me with drawing, I loved drawing, I'd draw every day and people said I was very good, and I wanted to one day create a graphic novel, travel to Japan and study manga. I eventually, however, began to hate all of my drawings, and though I tried to practice to get better, drawing for 5 minutes would piss me off and I would just put the book away, and now I haven't drawn in years. I wanted to get better, but hated drawing, so it's a similar scenario. I guess whether I want to or not, my guitar playing will eventually drift away.
Quote by maowcat
You sound like you have some serious motivation issues their bud. I was very depressed for a period of 3-4 years and during that time i lost all motivation for guitar, in almost if not every way that you've described here, my depression slowly dissipated and i have been gradually playing more guitar since then. You don't just lose interest in something one day, only to keep it around for years to keep on trying, only to end up asking us if you should keep on playing.

Yeah I have had some bad depression issues for the past couple of years (which I don't really want to get into) which has definitely been a large contributing factor, but since I'll going to music uni in a couple years I need to know what direction I'm going to take, and I don't see my current mental state clearing up before then. This is more of a question that's been weighing on my mind "Is this the path I want to take?" and lately I haven't been able to answer that question. I believe devoting my time to acoustic guitar may be my best (if not only) choice as of now.
Quote by Jimjambanx
Yeah I have had some bad depression issues for the past couple of years (which I don't really want to get into) which has definitely been a large contributing factor, but since I'll going to music uni in a couple years I need to know what direction I'm going to take, and I don't see my current mental state clearing up before then. This is more of a question that's been weighing on my mind "Is this the path I want to take?" and lately I haven't been able to answer that question. I believe devoting my time to acoustic guitar may be my best (if not only) choice as of now.

Seriously man, your never going to make a decision as long as your depressed, i speak from experience that if you don't believe you'll get better you won't, i've seen the repeating cycle with many other people besides myself. One day i was sick of being depressed because i had no enjoyment in anything anymore and said **** it. I can't say i'm 100% better, but i'm definitely far better off than i was. Take my advice or not, but the fact that you lost complete interest in both drawing and guitar tells me you need to change something in your life. You have a million choices in front of you, acoustic guitar is not your only choice, i don't buy that and neither should you.
If you're drawn into acoustic guitar, then go for it. Don't "quit" electric, just don't play it for awhile. Maybe try find other people to play with (it makes playing much more fun).

Or start writing your own songs. I've never been into practising and that used to really bum me out. I thought I sucked at guitar and started really loosing interest. Then I started to write my own songs and suddenly playing became fun again. (I'm not saying I'm good player now, I just don't care if I suck or not. I just write songs and have fun.)

We don't all have to be guitar players, we can also be people who play guitar on once in awhile.
Absolutely everyone goes through a similar stage while trying to learn guitar and the best guitarists are the ones who push on regardless of those feelings. Relax, don't expect anything from yourself and don't be afraid to start again from square one. You have learnt plenty but it might not show until you take a few steps back and revise your technique. It doesn't have to be boring and you can do it your own way, just remember that you need to CHANGE things, listen to different music, learn different instruments, maybe get a guitar that inspires you to play more, find people to jam with,
write riffs, licks and songs or if you already do, change the way you write, your style, anything...

Quote by Jimjambanx
If only, no one in my area plays any instruments, and no one is interested in a band. Playing with others is simply not an option.

...and this is almost never true. Forgive me but i'm inclined to believe that you haven't looked hard enough. Have you asked everyone? Outright? Yes? Ask again. You can even look into getting a cheap audio interface and collaborating with someone online.

Fact is there are no good or bad guitarists, just people that have put in the work and people that haven't or have yet to. And it's not work if you don't make it out like that, it's fun, it's doing things your own way (in fact, maybe your guitar teacher isn't for you?). So you're allowed to feel bad about your playing and lord knows we've all been there (2-3 years in my case) but once that's run its course it's time to get busy man! It doesn't matter what you do first, just start doing it and the rest will follow. Chin up, shoulders back and off we go!
Quote by henrihell
I'd reccommend you try rocksmith 2014. It brings in a whole new type of fun to your playing because it's technically a game that works as a guitar teacher. I've started playing really much more since I got the game.

This right here.I got into guitar when i was 14 got fed up with it at round about 19.Still kept my two guitars and pedals.Picked it up again at 25.Got bored again until rocksmith came out now i cant put them down.Bought another 5 guitars and more pedals and new amps just because i feel that im learning again with better results.Different types of music help also.Dont just stick to the same genres.
Shift your focus onto acoustic. I wouldn't sell your electric gear, though. The passion might come back.
Quote by Jimjambanx
I used to practice quite extensively, but these days I barely pick the thing up 2 times a week for like 10 minutes

Sounds like you already quit a long time ago, and haven't really realised it yet.
Quote by henrihell

This ^^^

Especially if the OP is having problems with speed because you can slow the songs down to a speed that suits you and speed it up once you have it nailed. And there's more than 3000 custom songs available to play if you get the PC version.
I struggle with this a bit from time to time. My issue is that I'll push myself too hard, go at it like crazy for 6 months or so, then have a mini-burn out, and not practice much for a while. It also doesn't help that I tend to pick songs that I have to work my butt off on. Great for improving chops, but the downside is that you can wind up pushing yourself too hard if you've got a tendency to be like that.
Before you quit, I'd try an experiment. Remove all expectations that you've placed on yourself. Don't worry about technique, or any of that jazz, don't even worry about how good you're sounding. Hell, don't even plug in. Just noodle for 10 or 15 mins each day, and enjoy how it feels to play the instrument. Or strum some open chords and kind of zone out. Try that for a week or two, and see if you start getting the itch to play more.
You don't enjoy it, don't do it. There's no need to. The really good guitar players, really love it and there's no way you're gonna be putting in several hours per day when that isn't the case.
There's no issue quitting, sometimes you lose the passion - sometimes it goes to something else. I've quit several hobbies that I used to be really into and good at, I remember how much I used to love them back in the day but then there was nothing. And that's when you really start wasting your time, doing something you don't even like and not getting paid for it.
I disagree. You can always learn to enjoy it if you take some time and do some soul-searching (as well as other searching like for new bands etc). Otherwise there's no shame in letting go of guitar, you can always find something else to focus on
I think you can quit everything you are practicing that you are not enjoying, and find totally new stuff to practice on guitar that you might enjoy. How much do you improvise with chords rather than scales/soloing? Do you ever just learn songs by chord progressions without worrying about playing them the way they are on the radio or learning the solos? Do you read much about music theory, or is it all about memorizing fingerings? Do you record yourself and are you learning to use a computer, like digital audio workstation, so you can record yourself doing multiple tracks and making "real" music -- original or covers? If so, do you also teach yourself to program MIDI synthesized sounds, like drum tracks or bass lines or arpeggios or whatever might accompany your guitar parts?

I guess the point is that there are, like, limitless options for stuff to learn. If anything, that is what daunts me and sometimes has me wondering if it's worth it...because I feel like I could study the rest of my life and only scratch surface. But apart from those moments of doubt, I mostly find it to be a positive because if I'm burned out on some aspect of making music, whether it's technique or theory or computer-related, I look around and see a dozen other things I could try learning that are different enough, that they intrigue me, and they ultimately help me develop some other aspects of musicianship.

Even learning another instrument can be great -- learning drums can really help your timing on guitar...learning to sing can really help your ear...learning any instrument can help your ear, help with sight reading, etc. You could set the guitar down and just pick up something new to learn that is music-related. I mean, there's also the tech side--learning electronics, how to repair, build, modify gear, how to tweak tone, which is a much different skill than technical playing or theorizing.

So, I'd say you should look on it like you are burned out on the particular stuff you've been doing in practice / playing, but that does not mean you need to give up being a musician or guitarist, but you can certainly find totally new ways to explore music that you are NOT burned out on, and that might intrigue you.

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
just gotta find some inspiration and quit being hard on yourself, nothing is ever mastered without mistakes along the way : )
Quote by Myshadow46_2
If you are struggling with depression are you actually getting any help? I'm not a Dr, but if you've been diagnosed I would suggest that trying to over come that will help with the guitar playing and a lot more.

I have not been to a doctor about this, so I have not been officially diagnosed with depression, nor do I want to. Though it has made do some regrettable thing (which I can't go into), it's slowly dissipating and rather than trying to fight it, I've learnt to control it and accept it. Which, for me at least, I think is what's best.
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'm just looking too deep into this, and should just let myself drift where the wind takes me. This question has been on my mind for a while now, whether it's worth continuing something that I'm uncertain about or end my struggles and just stop. But I guess I don't need to ask that question just now, and just do what I feel like doing. I'll continue lessons for now, might as well, I may enjoy it again one day.
Quote by Jimjambanx
I have not been to a doctor about this, so I have not been officially diagnosed with depression, nor do I want to...

...I'll continue lessons for now, might as well, I may enjoy it again one day.

In the meantime, go see the doc mate... and if you do have clinical depression, you'll be in good company, you'll share that with some of the most revered people on the planet, both past and present... no shame mate... only gain!

Good luck!
Last edited by tonibet72 at Apr 29, 2014,
Try a bass guitar
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by Jimjambanx
I've been playing electric guitar for about 4 or so years now with lessons, and for the past couple years just haven't had any fun at all with it. I used to practice quite extensively, but these days I barely pick the thing up 2 times a week for like 10 minutes. My technique is horrendous, but I just don't have the will power to sit down every day to try and fix it, after about 5 - 10 minutes of practicing scales I usually get pissed off from how bad I'm doing when I used to be so much better, and I just put it down and go lie down or something.

I don't like playing songs either, it takes too long to learn it, I don't have fun and once I learn a song I never want to hear that song again, and as such I never learn songs and I just practice alt picking, so yeah I have a pretty horrible time playing guitar. Every song is either too hard (I can't play fast at all, and that's pretty much the only thing I care about, I know, it's dumb) or too easy. The only reason I still take lessons is cause for these past 4 years, it's been the only thing I know, it's the only thing I can do, and I want to be good at it, I really do, I just can't bring myself to get good. In the past year or so I've gotten into contemporary acoustic guitar (Andy Mckee, Antoine Dufour etc.) and I enjoy that a lot, and I am already better at that than my 4 years worth of electric guitar playing. Should I just quit electric guitar and lessons, realize that it's only doing harm, and just play acoustic full time? Or is there a way to make me enjoy electric guitar again? I know I've bitched about this before in previous posts, so apologies if I'm beating a dead horse here.

Play fingerstyle electric.
Reminds me a bit of when I sort of started back around 1988 or so.

I got a Jasmine S-60 which was a cheaper Takamine knock of brand new. Some time before my mother had asked if you wished to play an instrument what would it be and I just said instantly guitar not going any further with it.

What to do with it? Get some lessons?

That's what I did but I was not really learning anything though the licks I was showed is still there. I played zillions of things since and forgotten but the early stuff still there.

I did not get inspired either and even hearing smoke on the water did not turn me on to the electric. I may had listen to the Beatles records at the time but going nowhere was my playing skills.

By 1989 I had changed school again but this was more fulltime and I was exposed to about 54 other kids around the same age. With that the sound of heavy thrashy metal caught my ear and after that I saved up for my first electric guitar.

I guess you have not heard what you wanted to do and just practised without saying where you wanted to go or be.

Also to quit something is not good for your soul. It is a bad habit that will follow your life until you become aware and change it. If you can't see and feel the challenge it takes to get somewhere then you might stop but take a brake. If playing scales are boring play something that inspires you to grab the guitar and learn it.
No you shouldn't.

Quitting guitar is one of the lamest things you can do. Go get a good teacher and get some help/structure.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Last edited by British_Steal at May 1, 2014,