Hi dear members of UG. I am recently having trouble with my cheap multi-effect processor which I bought used around 2 years ago. It will probably go out of service. Anyway I’ve stopped using it for the time being and I’m now playing directly through my Marshall MG15 amp. As I was never quite happy with my current effect unit’s performance so I'm considering to purchase a new one. I’ll need to save up for long to purchase a fairly high end effect unit like POD HD 400 but I think my practice amp won’t do the justice to this unit. Unfortunately it is not possible for me to upgrade my amp at this moment, besides I’m not allowed to play loud and I play only at home. I was told lately that for home playing through a practice amp, just 3 or 4 effect pedals do better than an expensive multi-effect unit. A setup having an overdrive/a distortion pedal, a delay pedal, a reverb pedal and if possible then a noise suppressor pedal is enough for those who are getting into pedals. Is this really true (I am talking about common and moderate priced pedals like Boss SD-1, Boss DD3 etc.)? I play mostly rock (Guns n Roses, Creed, Dio etc.). At this point I can purchase only 2 pedals at most assuming I’ll be able to get them within USD 300. I’ve never used effect pedal before so I really don’t know would using pedals be a suitable choice for home practicing or not. I’m totally confused here, should I go for that or I should just get a multi-effect unit within my budget? Playing directly through my practice amp is making me annoyed. Can anyone help me here?
Last edited by stranger_23 at Apr 27, 2014,
Quote by stranger_23
Hi dear members of UG. I am recently having trouble with my cheap multi-effect processor which I bought used around 2 years ago. It will probably go out of service.

Anyway I’ve stopped using it for the time being and I’m now playing directly through my Marshall MG15 amp. As I was never quite happy with my current effect unit’s performance so I'm considering to purchase a new one.

I’ll need to save up for long to purchase a fairly high end effect unit like POD HD 400 but I think my practice amp won’t do the justice to this unit. Unfortunately it is not possible for me to upgrade my amp at this moment, besides I’m not allowed to play loud and I play only at home.

1) I was told lately that for home playing through a practice amp, just 3 or 4 effect pedals do better than an expensive multi-effect unit. A setup having an overdrive/a distortion pedal, a delay pedal, a reverb pedal and if possible then a noise suppressor pedal is enough for those who are getting into pedals. (2) Is this really true (I am talking about common and moderate priced pedals like Boss SD-1, Boss DD3 etc.)?

I play mostly rock (Guns n Roses, Creed, Dio etc.). At this point I can purchase only 2 pedals at most assuming I’ll be able to get them within USD 300. I’ve never used effect pedal before so I really don’t know would using pedals be a suitable choice for home practicing or not. I’m totally confused here, (3) should I go for that or I should just get a multi-effect unit within my budget?

Playing directly through my practice amp is making me annoyed. Can anyone help me here?

i helped out, carriage returns for the people.

1) i have no idea why they would tell you that. some practice amps (line 6 spider, peavey vypyr, etc) are little more than a multi effects unit attached to a power amp and speaker. standalone analog pedals will sound just as bad through a crappy practice amp as a multi effects unit will

2) i guess. all you really need is an amp, any pedal is unnecessary to play guitar. some people might want those pedals to get tones they want, other people may not. i never run a noise suppressor, other people always run noise suppressor. i always run a wah pedal and you don't seem to care if you have one.

3) sounds to me like you dislike you amp and you're trying to fix it with pedals. since you can't play loudly anyway then why don't you buy a multi effects unit or use computer software and just run a set of computer speakers with it? that is what i do when i am on the road for work.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
i helped out, carriage returns for the people.

1) i have no idea why they would tell you that. some practice amps (line 6 spider, peavey vypyr, etc) are little more than a multi effects unit attached to a power amp and speaker. standalone analog pedals will sound just as bad through a crappy practice amp as a multi effects unit will

2) i guess. all you really need is an amp, any pedal is unnecessary to play guitar. some people might want those pedals to get tones they want, other people may not. i never run a noise suppressor, other people always run noise suppressor. i always run a wah pedal and you don't seem to care if you have one.

3) sounds to me like you dislike you amp and you're trying to fix it with pedals. since you can't play loudly anyway then why don't you buy a multi effects unit or use computer software and just run a set of computer speakers with it? that is what i do when i am on the road for work.

i don't even own one. i can gig with one of my amps running pretty hard (typically a 4x12" just preference), and i haven't had an issue. i would wait until you have your amp and see if you need it before you just go buy one.

best thing you could do. get good headphones or speakers (flat response) and play into that, i haven't done it, but i have heard some pretty impressive work come from even cheaper software.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Get a new amp, plain and simple no matter what you throw infront of it will just sound bad. I say just buy a vyper, prefferably a used vyper tube or something. If volume is really an issue buy a used pod 2.0 for like 60 bucks and a pair of senhiezers or something.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by gumbilicious
i helped out, carriage returns for the people....

I've tried few practice amps. I played through a Line 6 Spider IV 15 and I know it got some of the basic effects and few channels on it but I didn't like its sound. Later I tried a Roland Cube 20xl which sounded much better to me than the Line 6 one. But still those amps do not sound substantially better than the Marshall MG 15 (although I'd keep the Roland Cube one ahead of the Marshall MG 15, I'd have bought it if I found it in the local music stores while I was shopping for an amp). I don't like directly playing through my MG 15 because its distorted channel sounds very awful, but the good tube amps got good output and their effects like overdrive, delay, reverb etc. are good enough to play without playing through any multi-effect or stomp boxes in front of them. Unfortunately my MG 15 is just a basic solid state amp and I can't expect too much from it. Probably I'll consider buying a multi-effect again.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i don't even own one....

Thanks for stopping by and making comment. I can't purchase a new amp, and are you suggesting to play me through a USB audio interface?

Quote by losing battle
Get a new amp....

I know I can't expect much from a basic practice amp and playing through a good amp can make huge difference in sound. I've had the privilege to play through a Blackstar HT 5r for few minutes, even the open chords sounded so beautiful on it. But that amp is beyond my budget and playing loud is a big issue for me. I had to adjust the master sound of the patch of effect unit in a way that I couldn't raise the amp's volume knob over 9 or 10 o' clock otherwise it'd be too loud for others. But that was okay as I could at least clearly hear what I was playing. My current effect unit is dying and probably I'll have to buy a new one. My Line 6 Floor POD doesn't give me the best tone but it was better than directly playing through my amp. So you are suggesting to not to use stomps for a solid state practice amp, right?
I'm gonna say replace the multi-fx and play through headphones, that will be cheaper than buying a new amp (which you can't turn up loud anyway)

I'm using a digitech rp-250 with headphones at night and some of the patches sound great with headphones and sound like ass through my amp.
Pacifica 112j > Digitech rp250 > Peavey Rage 158
Quote by stranger_23
Thanks for stopping by and making comment. I can't purchase a new amp, and are you suggesting to play me through a USB audio interface?

I know I can't expect much from a basic practice amp and playing through a good amp can make huge difference in sound. I've had the privilege to play through a Blackstar HT 5r for few minutes, even the open chords sounded so beautiful on it. But that amp is beyond my budget and playing loud is a big issue for me. I had to adjust the master sound of the patch of effect unit in a way that I couldn't raise the amp's volume knob over 9 or 10 o' clock otherwise it'd be too loud for others. But that was okay as I could at least clearly hear what I was playing. My current effect unit is dying and probably I'll have to buy a new one. My Line 6 Floor POD doesn't give me the best tone but it was better than directly playing through my amp. So you are suggesting to not to use stomps for a solid state practice amp, right?

yea, i honestly think that it would be best for you. if you get something like Line 6's pod farm, you can change amp models and experiment with effects. it probably does a lot more than that, but i personally haven't done it really, i had a line 6 Guitar port from probably 10 years ago. i just used it to record basic things, but software has come so far since then i don't think they are comparable.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Richie_82
I'm gonna say replace the multi-fx....

So you are suggesting to go for a multi-effect unit. My local music stores have mostly Line 6, Boss and Zoom products as well as few Digitech units. As I told brfore I can't afford high end multi-effect units like POD HD 400/HD 500x or Boss GT 100. I used Line 6 Floor POD and probably this was the cheapest unit they made (which is discontinued now). The other available effect units from Line 6 in the local stores are quite expensive and probably the least expensive unit is Floor POD Plus. I was a bit interested on it but I've read negative reviews on it that says Floor POD Plus is the upgraded version of old Floor POD but the output isn't that great. Some even said that old Line 6 POD 2.0 was better than Flood POD Plus. Can you suggest me a good one within USD 300?

Quote by trashedlostfdup
yea, i honestly think that it would be best for you....

I wanted to purchase an interface to record my sound but I still haven't bought that. I'll eventually buy one but I think if the stomps don't get my job done I want to go for a new multi-effect unit. Besides I still don't know how to tweak EQ and other recording related stuffs.