Just a quick question for all you pickup enthusiasts out there. Im thinking of replacing the stock inf pickups on my old Ibanez RGT 42FM and I need some pickup suggestions (preferably Dimarzios), the nez has a mahogany body and has room for two humbuckers.

I'm currently leaning towards an evo 2 for the bridge and evo neck pickup for my guitar. Alright cheers you suckers thanks for the help!!!
I would really check out the D Activator set (not x) that is what I put in my mahogany V. They are insane. The distortion is as tight as EMGS (they are made to rival them) but much more organic. In other words it actually has a clean tone that doesn't make you want to puke on top of that I coil tapped mine ("turns off" a coil to make them single coil) and they become very snappy (the first time my bassist heard them he said they almost sounded as good as an acoustic clean) great for blues and jazz. I love them too death, definatly want to check them out. Extremely versatile set, nd it actually does all tones well and not mediocre
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive
Last edited by TYSHADOWS at Apr 28, 2014,
already asked in your GB&C thread, but which style of music do you play most (or do you play an even mix?), what's your amp and what don't you like about your current pickups?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You'd probably do well with a Super Distortion / PAF Pro.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
+1 on the super distortion, I had one in a LP type guitar since 1990 it was a very nice pickup
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
+1 to D'Activators. I put some in my S-Series and love them.
The cleans are great, along with everything from mid to high gain.
Awesome!
I'd like to +1 the PAF Pro for a neck pickup, and suggest something like a FRED (basically a PAF Pro plus one) for the bridge.
I use those exact pickups for anything from blues to balls-to-the-wall metal. I have an Ibanez S670FM.

D-activators are really geared towards metal, and in my experience they have a bit too much "in-your-face" for anything softer.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Apr 29, 2014,
Quote by PsiGuy60
I'd like to +1 the PAF Pro for a neck pickup, and suggest something like a FRED (basically a PAF Pro plus one) for the bridge.
I use those exact pickups for anything from blues to balls-to-the-wall metal. I have an Ibanez S670FM.

D-activators are really geared towards metal, and in my experience they have a bit too much "in-your-face" for anything softer.

They do have that in your face loudness, but they're supposed to since they're modled off EMGs. Just roll back the volume a bit for cleans and I've gotten beautiful soft cleans and low-med gain tones
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
I have D Activators in my S420. They can pull off the tones in a pinch, but softer sounds is really not where they excel, at all. Pointless to recommend them when there's a ton of other pups that will do what OP wants better.

Yes they do have decent cleans, but the in between is what is hard to nail, and not what the D Activators are great at.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I have D Activators in my S420. They can pull off the tones in a pinch, but softer sounds is really not where they excel, at all. Pointless to recommend them when there's a ton of other pups that will do what OP wants better.

Yes they do have decent cleans, but the in between is what is hard to nail, and not what the D Activators are great at.

Well, that's not been my experience so just putting in my 2 cents
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
Nothing wrong with that.

I'm also running an SD Full Shred set in my H-301, and an SD Distortion / Jazz in my RG520. The Full Shreds are by far the best for general mid gain sounds and clean sounds, the Distortion is by far the best for 80s bright thrash/shred style tone. The D Activators are simply not my go to choice for lower gain. I go to them for djent tone and decent string separation clarity with an emphasis on a real fat modern "bwong" sound. Can't think of a better application I use them for than just fat djenty tone.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Nothing wrong with that.

I'm also running an SD Full Shred set in my H-301, and an SD Distortion / Jazz in my RG520. The Full Shreds are by far the best for general mid gain sounds and clean sounds, the Distortion is by far the best for 80s bright thrash/shred style tone. The D Activators are simply not my go to choice for lower gain. I go to them for djent tone and decent string separation clarity with an emphasis on a real fat modern "bwong" sound. Can't think of a better application I use them for than just fat djenty tone.

Ive used them from everything from cleans to rush to thrash, theyve worked wonders on everything ive tried them on, although i will agree that they do the high gain best. i mean theyre designed to be emg killers that sort of have to
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
I think I might little research on those D Activators. What about neck pick ups???
Last edited by DANISWAI at Apr 30, 2014,
Quote by DANISWAI
I think I might little research on those D Activators. What about neck pick ups???

The D Activators are made to come as a set, obviously you could get different ones but they are designed to be used together and correlate output and volume wise. I would suggest getting the set
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
Quote by DANISWAI

Absolutely, go with the one whose name you like the sound of rather than actually answering the questions we asked so we can help you better.

Ok, so sorry, that was a bit sarcastic, but I mean if you come here asking us for help and don't even read through the responses and answer the questions which have been asked...

I haven't tried d-activators but i suspect offworld is on the money. normally the higher output/more modern sounding pickups don't do the lower gain/more vintage tones as well (and vice-versa) so we need to know a rough percentage split of what you play (if you play different genres) so we don't end up recommending something which might be perfect for the stuff you play 10% of the time, but which is mediocre (or worse) for what you play most of the time...

EDIT: and also you didn't tell us what your amp was or what you didn't like about your current pickups.

Again... it's your money and your prerogative, you can spend it on what you like and it's no skin off my nose. But if you already know what you're going to do, why make a thread? Or more accurately, 2 threads?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 30, 2014,
Sorry about that Dave_Mc I don't really go on the forums that often I currently own a Marshal Class 5 thinking of get a 5150 iii 50 watta pretty soon and what I don't like about the inf pickups is that they are quite muddy and don't cut well through the mix.
No love for the tone zone?! It's my favorite pickup for a non genre specific guitar, covers everything really elegantly in my oppinion!
I've been searching for a good pickup and I think I have decided on the Suhr Aldrich. If your in the US you can get them for $100ish at www.humbuckermusic.com
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by DANISWAI
Sorry about that Dave_Mc I don't really go on the forums that often I currently own a Marshal Class 5 thinking of get a 5150 iii 50 watta pretty soon and what I don't like about the inf pickups is that they are quite muddy and don't cut well through the mix.

No worries

Yeah the ibanez stock pickups are often pretty mediocre (and that's being charitable). Most name brand upgrade pickups will be a pretty big step up from them.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
For my money on my Mahogany bodied Carvin, DiMarzio Evo. Extreme amounts of clarity, full punch and just fantastic cleans, when split or at full humbucker, its loud as shit too
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Super D in the bridge... I've got the 36th annv paf in the neck and love it!!
I have a PRS SE245 with a D-AX bridge. Extremely compress and huge low mid ooophm.
The clean is kinda bad though, too thin.
Do you feel like I do!?
Quote by DANISWAI
RBM01991 what do you reckon about the evo 2 s

I have no experience with them so I can't tell ya, but I like my regular Evo just fine.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
People might disagree with me on this, but I'm going to suggest a PAF pro in the neck and a Tone Zone in the bridge. I feel that a Tone Zone covers more ground than a d-activator, but then again, I'm more into mid-gain humbuckers than hi-gain ones.
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1