Hi everyone,
First off, I know very little about guitars, and I'm trying to pick out a new Bridge pickup (humbucker) for my HSS strat.

I play in a 3piece Original band, and I wish I could say 'I'm looking for (guitar player's name)'s tone, but I can't really say..

I'm currently thrown between a SD Phat Cat and an SD Distortion?
I'm looking for something with sustain, and will make my strat a bit warmer, as we're just a 3piece.

If it's any help, my main distortions are Pro Co Dirty Rats, and Big Muffs..and a lot of them.

Heres a link to some of our music, if you want to get an idea? (Bare in mind the recordings are double tracked, but you'll get the style atleast and might help me chose what to go for.

http://www.breakingtunes.com/deadbeatcircus

Really hope someone can help me out. Any other information just ask.

Much Appreciated!
Last edited by glenn.colclough at Apr 28, 2014,
Duncan 59, Hot rails, Cool Rails, lil JB all have something to offer and it is purely a matter of personal taste. There are no wrong answers. Listen to their sound samples and pick the one you like. I use the 59, JB, and Cool Rails at the bridge on different instruments and each has it's place.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
^ he has an HSS strat- he can look at full-sized options.

I don't think a distortion is terribly warm.

haven't tried the phat cat.

what's your amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Duncan JB's are like tailor made for HSS strats. They sound wonderful and react with alder really nicely. Roll off the tone a little and you can get a nice warm crunch.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
hey, i'm actually only using a 100watt fender solidstate at the moment.
(Incase your wondering..the guitars in my recordings are recorded on AC30's and very old Jazz Chorus's..hehe)

Hoping to get a tube amp in the future, just..pretty tight with cash at the moment. Probably goin to get something like a Jet City amp
SD '59

RailHammer HyperVintage

Tesla OPUS-1

Golden Age HB

Vintage Vibe custom
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by glenn.colclough
hey, i'm actually only using a 100watt fender solidstate at the moment.
(Incase your wondering..the guitars in my recordings are recorded on AC30's and very old Jazz Chorus's..hehe)

Hoping to get a tube amp in the future, just..pretty tight with cash at the moment. Probably goin to get something like a Jet City amp

yeah. i mean if you know you're going to get a new amp there's no real harm in getting a new pickup, but it might make more sense to wait until you get the amp, and then you can tailor the pickup's voicing to it.

do as i say, not as i do, i bought new pickups ages back before i had a decent amp
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Phat cat is a single coil, P90 type, not a humbucker. In general I like P90ss, but I haven't tried that one

In humbuckers I would go for something middle-of-of the road, like a 59, though I personally prefer something brighter - I have SD Jazz in two guitars, the Screamin Demon would be similar.

Another option is to go for the very popular SD JB. This is higher output and good for overdriven sounds. If I did this, I would also include a series/parallel or series/single switch (push-pull pot, replace one of the tone controlswith a switch or just add a switch), as it has good clean tones in parallel or single mode.
Cheers for the reply!
It's going into one of the Fender Modern Player series HSS strats, they come with a push/pull tone pot for the bridge.

I don't know if this is going to be any of a concern..But I also use crazy Octave pedals...with shit loads of distortion
Quote by glenn.colclough
Cheers for the reply!
It's going into one of the Fender Modern Player series HSS strats, they come with a push/pull tone pot for the bridge.

I don't know if this is going to be any of a concern..But I also use crazy Octave pedals...with shit loads of distortion

It's easy enough to replace on of the other controls with a p-p pot if you want additional switching options. I've made a hobby of mucking with pickups and their controls. Not so much different from building model aeroplanes really.
Last edited by Tony Done at Apr 28, 2014,
Quote by Acϵ♠
Duncan JB's are like tailor made for HSS strats. They sound wonderful and react with alder really nicely. Roll off the tone a little and you can get a nice warm crunch.

Agreed.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Hey Thanks again,
Is that the SD JB SH-4 ? Or TB-4? I don't know what either of them mean...but i get both results when i look it up?
haven't tried p-rails

tb4 versus sh4 is just whether you need a trem-spaced one or not (tb stands for "trembucker"). I guess you could measure your current bridge pickup and see how the polepiece spacing is. (there should be info on the duncan site regarding this, i think)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
haven't tried p-rails

tb4 versus sh4 is just whether you need a trem-spaced one or not (tb stands for "trembucker"). I guess you could measure your current bridge pickup and see how the polepiece spacing is. (there should be info on the duncan site regarding this, i think)

The Tb-4 is new to me. As you say there are differences in pole spacing, but there are also differences in the mounting system. Any idea what that is about?

Glen, check out the pics and specs on the SD site

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/high-output/sh4_jb_model/
Last edited by Tony Done at Apr 29, 2014,
TB-4 is for Strats. I can post a photo of the TB4 I have in my sparklecaster tonight if you'd like to see it in action.
Quote by Tony Done
The Tb-4 is new to me. As you say there are differences in pole spacing, but there are also differences in the mounting system. Any idea what that is about?

Glen, check out the pics and specs on the SD site

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/high-output/sh4_jb_model/

no idea, sorry, i've never fitted one.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, you just screw it to the pickguard. It's pretty easy. The TB-4 is the Strat model only because the poles are spaced to fit Fender specs.
A couple more HB-sized P90s to consider

RailHammer Gnarly90
https://www.railhammer.com/Gnarly_90_bridge.html

Bareknuckle Stockholm
https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=p90s&sub=humbucker_sized_p90s&pickup=stockholm

(Each company makes others as well)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Thanks for all the really helpful replies guys.

Just one last thing..
Sustain? will the TB's have much of it? THats why i decided to look the way of p90's..
I use a disgusting amount of distortion/delay to simulate the kind of sustain I want
Not sure why you're under the impression that a P-90 will have more sustain than a humbucker but that's backwards. If you're using a lot of distortion you probably do not want a P-90 and especially not a lower output one like the Fat Cat.

The P-rails is a good bridge pickup, if you want a P-90 type sound that holds up under distortion that is a good bet. The JB/TB are brighter and a lot more articulate, I'd strongly suggest one of those if your amp isn't on the harsh/bright side. The JB is a fantastic strat bridge pickup. I'd start with one of those.
Quote by glenn.colclough
Hey Thanks again,
Is that the SD JB SH-4 ? Or TB-4? I don't know what either of them mean...but i get both results when i look it up?

Im talking about the sh-4, you might have to cut the pickguard if you get a trembucker. It's brilliantly clear, even with massive amounts of disto and gain. The P-Rails is a nice pickup, but it doesn't nail any of the three sounds--it's more of an 8/10ths, "not quite" for each of the three pickup settings.

As for a P90, if you use that much disto, then a P90 isn't for you. It'll get real muddy real quick unless you get a high output P90, but then that defeats the entire point of a P90. Just stick with a humbucker. There are higher output pickups than the JB SH-4, but i've found that many of them in the same output range just don't have the same dynamics articulation. A JB will have more sustain and clarity than a P90 on the same amp settings, too.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
This a bit OT, but not much.

The electric guitar usenet group used to get a fair bit of discussion about the merits of using a low output pickup with a booster of some kind to get OD tones, as opposed to using a high output pickup. The argument being that you get more of the high transients if you want them, for better clean tones.

I'm wondering what opinions are in this forum.

FWIW, I tried a JB and sold it after a couple of weeks and replaced it with an SD Jazz, because the JB sounded like mud used through my Blues Deluxe on clean. Now I'm a fan of good P90s, and parallel-switched humbuckers.
Last edited by Tony Done at May 3, 2014,
IMO, depends on which you need more. The vast majority (not all) of low output humbuckers are paf-style and tend to be voiced for either cleans or more vintage types of distortion. You can crank up their output with a boost but you still have their voicing- which IMO isn't terribly suitable for heavier tones as it turns to mush.

I probably prefer erring on the lower side if I want the guitar to be versatile (though better yet I'd probably go in the middle), but for a guitar which I know I'm going to use for heavier tones I prefer higher output pickups. Not necessarily crazy high output, but enough where it helps (and where there's probably been some thought put into how the pickup sounds with heavier distortion).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?