Page 1 of 2
So, you guys know me well enough to know I wouldn't consider myself a Marshall fan at all, but I have owned at least a couple of amps that are either described as Marshall sounding OR like a JCM 800 on Steroids...

Now... Bare with me... It's a shock for myself too.

I now own one of these;

What is that, you ask?

Well my friends of GG&A this is a strange moment for me, can somebody tell me if I'm getting older and wiser, or if this is just a phase?

Anyway, this is my new Marshall amplifier. (Sorry for the mess, but you know me and my New stuff threads, I ALWAYS HAVE RANDOM OBJECTS IN THE PICTURE!)

So the story; After owning my Laney AOR from when I was sixteen (Four years now) I've currently deemed it a bit unreliable in it's age and I wanted to get a replacement/backup to retire her gracefully and to still keep the amplifier, because of the memories I have with it (It's a sentimental thing with that Laney)

So I go onto Facebook and I have a look at some of the musicians buying and selling pages and I see this, just posted. So out of impulse I offered my Krank as a trade for it and they agreed. As I was off to Berwick where the amplifier was anyway, I thought it was a good sign.

I go up to this place in Berwick called "The Music Gallery" which is a pretty awesome shop, which I could imagine has been visited by some bluesmen with their Strats and their tiny Fender combo's with the smell of cigarette smoke and bottles of Jack Daniels everywhere and I'm greeted by this Brazilian guy who reminds me of some of you guys (Especially Gregs and Cath) who just seems to know everything about gear and it was wierd, there was a moment I thought he was Cath when he started talking about the JCM 900 and the diode clipping

And he showed me the Marshall, I thought... Woah, been after one of these for years. So I plugged in with my Schecter and thought meh, that doesn't sound Marshally, but then he said that the cab was an MDF AVT 4X12 and was horrible and that I had a three month warranty on it in case I didn't like it, so we just talked music, gear and they just handed me everything and anything. To be honest, I would have came out like someone who's just left the pub after a good night if I had the money.

So I got it home, took it upstairs and thought "This will be similar to my Laney, Right?" Wrong. Not at all, the Laney is Bass up to eleven, where as the Marshall just has this mid range bite to it that I really like, especially since it's the first amp I've owned where I can hear it in a two guitar mix because of having enough mids

Not really sure whatelse to say about it as I'm sure you guys know what a JCM 800 2203 sounds like and it sounds pretty cool. I've had it a couple of weeks, but just wanted to play through it for a bit first before I posted on it. Have to say, she's one that I never expected to like, but once you get to know her. She opens up, growls, bites and has balls. Everything I want in a guitar amp and hey, it has one channel so simpletons like myself can use it and not get lost with all the pretty buttons and lights.

But anyway, it sounds awesome.

(Will post more later)

Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Last edited by Fisheth24 at Apr 28, 2014,
Quote by Fisheth24
Well my friends of GG&A this is a strange moment for me, can somebody tell me if I'm getting older and wiser, or if this is just a phase?

Quote by Fisheth24
After owning my Laney AOR from when I was sixteen (Four years now)
Well I am 17 so I can't tell for sure, but it looks like you ARE getting old.

Anyway, cheers, happy NATW* and have fun!

sew amp two weeks
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
You lucky SOB. I can only hope I can afford a JCM800 8 months from now when I'm 20.

Happy NAD!
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
i have personally never cared too much for JCM800's (prob cuz the first time i played one i was expecting the monstrous metal machine cuz that was what i was into), but they are a good sounding amp for sure. i played a 2203 more recently and was actually pretty impressed, sounds like an amp i could definitely play out.

they were also a very popular platform to hotrod.

HNAD
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Apr 28, 2014,
Quote by gumbilicious
i have personally never cared too much for JCM800's (prob cuz the first time i played one i was expecting the monstrous metal machine cuz that was what i was into), but they are a good sounding amp for sure.

they were a very popular platform to hotrod.

HNAD

It does do the metalz but you need an OD in front of it to do it!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
It does do the metalz but you need an OD in front of it to do it!

i didn't know that at the time. i was 19 and all i knew is that the jcm800 was constantly mentioned for 'metal tones'. i encountered a jcm800 at a store and i was like "where's the metal button?"

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
i didn't know that at the time. i was 19 and all i knew is that the jcm800 was constantly mentioned for 'metal tones'. i encountered a jcm800 at a store and i was like "where's the metal button?"

I think you're looking for the Kerry King "Beast" button
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by gumbilicious

I wondered that at first
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
How do you afford to get stuff like this as a full-time student? (I'm assuming)
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
How do you afford to get stuff like this as a full-time student? (I'm assuming)

I'm not Haven't been in education for a while now cause I've been ill! (Going back to it though!) Traded my Krank for this one. Haha.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by TheStig1214
I think you're looking for the Kerry King "Beast" button

pretty much. i was young, so all the 'metal' amps i saw had a button that you pushed and it got all metal sounding

-ae
Quote by Fisheth24
I'm not Haven't been in education for a while now cause I've been ill! (Going back to it though!) Traded my Krank for this one. Haha.

Ah right. I'm sorry I intruded like that.

What kind of doughnut would trade a Krank Rev for a 2203 though?

I haven't bought any new guitars or amps in over 2 years because of my degree taking up all of my time.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 28, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Don't be! It's ok

Me, I honestly prefer the Marshall, tried the Krank at a rehersal and was like nope this isn't working
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

I haven't bought any new guitars or amps in over 2 years because of my degree taking up all of my time.

More importantly where can I find such a person? I'd make that trade all day. I want an 800 so bad.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
More importantly where can I find such a person? I'd make that trade all day. I want an 800 so bad.

That person was me.

Different strokes for different folks and all that.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
That person was me.

Different strokes for different folks and all that.

I mean you got the better end of that deal. I'm asking who would trade away an 800 for a Krank?
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
I mean you got the better end of that deal. I'm asking who would trade away an 800 for a Krank?

I have no idea but that shop did
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
sweet
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks guys!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24

Me, I honestly prefer the Marshall, tried the Krank at a rehersal and was like nope this isn't working

I meant the other way around. Who would trade a 2203 for a Krank.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I meant the other way around. Who would trade a 2203 for a Krank.

Oh obviously I misread your post.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
It ain't no SL-X

HNAD dude, always cool to have a classic
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Haha thanks.

Gonna give some more thoughts tonight, I know i Said I would do it yesterday, but been busy with real life stuff, so I've not been able to play. Haha!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Nice! I still need to post up a thread for the gobs of stuff I've been through in the last month

HNAD
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Guys, when the 2203 came out it was a metal amp. Metal before Cookie Monster took over on lead vocals. You're expecting something other than 80's metal out of an 80's amp? You guys really need to introduce me to your drug dealers.

What's the third jack on the front? Come on, more details about how it's modded.

HNAD
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Guys, when the 2203 came out it was a metal amp. Metal before Cookie Monster took over on lead vocals. You're expecting something other than 80's metal out of an 80's amp? You guys really need to introduce me to your drug dealers.

What's the third jack on the front? Come on, more details about how it's modded.

HNAD

But even in the 80s it had to be cranked to hell and boosted. I get where you are coming from, but the amount of gain by itself is a bit underwhelming.
It'll pull off Judas Priest all by itself and hey, the first metal song was Helter Skelter, it'll do that with ease too.
Metal is more than what you young whipper snappers call metal. It didn't start out as an incoherent mess with Cookie Monster vocals like it is today. It isn't a modern metal amp but it is certainly a metal amp, not just your type of metal. History didn't start in 2000, you know? There was a shitload of metal prior to the Recto.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I didn't say that it did

I said that even when the JCM800 was considered to be THE metal amp, people still cranked and boosted the hell out of it to get their tone. Then we can get into the argument of whether just because people played metal with it, does that make necessarily make it a metal amp, or did true "metal" amps come later?

I also think you are assuming a bit much that early metal isn't "my" type of metal. I like lots of 80s metal and I even like the JCM800, but I think an argument could be made that it isn't really a metal amp, but I'm not one to argue over semantics. I get your point, all us young whippersnappers need to hush up with all our preamp gain and super saturated tones.
Yeah, get of my ****ing lawn - and take Cookie Monster with you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Better than that punk shit. Bunch of bellowing twats they are.

We'll kick your arses. Well, it must be hard for metal heads to move quickly wearing all that gay leather fetish wear. By the time you manage to swing a punch we'll have kicked your heads in with our Doc Martins.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

HNAD

Sorry to dissapoint here, but it's not a mod. It's the fuse

I asked about that one in the store, as I was baffled about it too!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
It's a fuse? Hey what now? Those have two fuses on the back; a mains and a HT. So what's the one on the front for? I'm perplexed.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
We'll kick your arses. Well, it must be hard for metal heads to move quickly wearing all that gay leather fetish wear. By the time you manage to swing a punch we'll have kicked your heads in with our Doc Martins.

We've pretty much droppe the fetish wear. If course you still have a few folks who wear it around but they are mostly 13-14 year olds who think they are hot shit. Of course the music I listen to most is a fusion of punk and metal, so I guess we can thank punk for the fade of all the leather and studs
Just had a look round the back of the amp Cath, you're right. There appears to be TWO fuses back there.

No idea what this is for though

The third input underneath.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Some close up photos of the insides showing where everything is wired to would probably tell me what's going on. If you want to know, open it up and take some photos and I'll see what I can tell you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Some close up photos of the insides showing where everything is wired to would probably tell me what's going on. If you want to know, open it up and take some photos and I'll see what I can tell you.

Will try to do that tomorrow!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Be careful though, man. Keep your fingers out of there. There's no discharge resistor in there so the caps will hold a charge for ages. It's ok to handle the chassis, just keep your fingers on the outside. Wear gloves if you are scared.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification