I have been using Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for about two years for home recording into my computer. I recently got M-Audio M-Track Quad to replace it, as I read the M-Audio is better for guitar recording and it came with free Pro Tools Express that I was curious to try out.

I'm now debating whether I should sell my Focusrite on Craiglist or Ebay or whatever, but then I started wondering...do people who get into audio recording seriously ever find a way to use two interfaces? Like the Focusrite is two input and the M-Audio is 4 input...is there some way to "side-chain" them so to speak and get 6 track input? Or maybe to set up the FocusRite for MIDI controller or microphone, and the M-Audio as dedicated for instruments. I guess I'd have to switch the device selection on my DAW every time I wanted to change interface, so maybe it would be too cumbersome... At that point may make more sense just to get one interface with more channels (Sorry, thinking out loud.)

Well, I guess the issue is that I just don't know what I don't know, so I am wondering if there is any good reason to have two interfaces that might outweigh making a quick $100 or whatever by selling my Focusrite.

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
Quote by krm27
I have been using Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for about two years for home recording into my computer. I recently got M-Audio M-Track Quad to replace it, as I read the M-Audio is better for guitar recording and it came with free Pro Tools Express that I was curious to try out.

I'm now debating whether I should sell my Focusrite on Craiglist or Ebay or whatever, but then I started wondering...do people who get into audio recording seriously ever find a way to use two interfaces? Like the Focusrite is two input and the M-Audio is 4 input...is there some way to "side-chain" them so to speak and get 6 track input? Or maybe to set up the FocusRite for MIDI controller or microphone, and the M-Audio as dedicated for instruments. I guess I'd have to switch the device selection on my DAW every time I wanted to change interface, so maybe it would be too cumbersome... At that point may make more sense just to get one interface with more channels (Sorry, thinking out loud.)

Well, I guess the issue is that I just don't know what I don't know, so I am wondering if there is any good reason to have two interfaces that might outweigh making a quick $100 or whatever by selling my Focusrite.

Ken

i have multiple interfaces for a variety of reasons. like i have two 8-channel presonus firestudios because i can chain them together and i get 16 separate tracks doing that. to do this you usually need software that synchronizes the devices and the devices usually have to be from the same company (excluding things like light pipe devices).

beyond that i also have a 2-channel interface that i use as a portable solution. so if me and a friend want to record somewhere away from my rack setup then i have something small that doesn't require any external power (runs off the computer).

i also have a single channel mini usb interface, a sonuus i2m. this is convenient for me on the road in hotel rooms, it can easily fit in my guitar case and can also be used as a monophonic to midi converter to boot.

concerning your question though, there is not much reason to have two interfaces. the m-audio and focusrite won't talk to each other. you could do something fancy like record two separate input-sets in two separate software programs at the same time, but that is pretty useless as a practical application.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Apr 28, 2014,
More inputs and outputs and stuff.
Say you have a 32 track analog desk - you may wanna pair it with 2 apollo 16.

Though I wouldn't see any reason why not to sell the smaller one in your situation.
Be advised though that it may sound better - I have yet to find a good sounding m-audio interface, and pro tools is a plain bad program.
Processor heavy, lotsa proprietary hardware and software, not really on par with other DAW's...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.