Hi guys,

I am new in the pedals scene. I used to have multyeffect and now I`m going to switch to pedals.

My quistion is about how to achive a lead guitar sound?

I searched the web and I saw many combination with pedals to have lead guitar sound but I didnt succsseded to understand which combination of pedals this sound needs.

Can I use only distortion pedal to have a high gain solo? do I need to have a distortion+boost pedals? overdrive+distortion+boost pedals? metal pedal?

thanks
what amp and guitar are you using?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What Dave said it really depends on the gear your using
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by nadabometal
Amp - Laney Cub 12
Guitar - shecter custom - solo 6

I would get a tube screamer type pedal

If your on a serious budget: Joyo Vintage OD, Digitech Bad Monkey

Use them as a boost. Volume max, gain off and tone to taste
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
MXR's Super Badass Distortion is great for lead tones. It's a warmer sounding pedal but it is, indeed, badass.
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
MXR 10 band EQ gain and volume sliders, and you can shape it how you want it. also it can do other things too.

but a TS styled pedal should be a staple for guitarists.

or a timmy.

i also really like the MI audio Blues Pro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPpUZQ6wIdo&index=103&list=FLviZULTVuyHReYgAnPfzd8w
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
An EQ pedal in front would be great. You can add a mid hump and maybe a slight level boost on the EQ and just turn that on for your solos to be fat and cut through.

Danelectro Fish & Chips is great on a budget, or if you have the cash, the MXR 10 Band is even better.

Otherwise a Tubescreamer type pedal will be great. As mentioned, the Digitech Bad Monkey is excellent on the lower end of the price range. If you have more to spend, also look at the Hardwire CM-2, MXR M77, Way Huge Green Rhino.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
yeah a tubescreamer or sd1-style pedal would be useful used as a boost, as robbgnarly said.

i'm not sure it'll give a cub enough gain on its own, though? I've never tried a cub, I was under the impression they were fairly low gain, but the 12 might have a bit more gain.

a delay pedal can help leads sound fuller, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
since no one mentioned this I will. there is often more to a "lead" sound than just distortion (and in many cases no distortion is used). a good lead sound will cut through the rest of your bands sound. many lead players will also use fx like wha and certainly delay to help their lead tone. usually there is at least a slight gain in volume as well. in order to better help you we'd need to know what type of lead sound you are after. what is great for metal isn't necessarily good for say country or pop.
Thanks for all.

1. Type of lead sound - slash (guns n roses), zakk whild, gary moore, eric clapton, pearl jam.

2. If iI comaine overdrive pedal + distortion pedal will it give me lead sound? or overdrive pedal with boost only?
Quote by nadabometal
Thanks for all.

1. Type of lead sound - slash (guns n roses), zakk whild, gary moore, eric clapton, pearl jam.

2. If iI comaine overdrive pedal + distortion pedal will it give me lead sound? or overdrive pedal with boost only?

Then an OD like the TS-9/808, Bad Monkey will work great.

You use the OD pedal as a boost on the lead channel of the amp. When used as a boost, the OD will add natural compression/distortion to the tubes of the preamp. It will also tighten the bass up so it will not get as flubby sounding. You can leave the gain on the amp down a bit from where you would normally have it set. Also if your not using Mids, add mids especially if you want a good lead tone

The built in boost on the amp sucks, don't use it, use an OD pedal instead.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I dont have in my amp lead channel. only one channel. Does it matters?

I saw some people using hardwire-TL-2 (metal) pedal also for lead sound. what do you think about that? Can a metal pedal can use for a lead sound?
A distortion pedal is the foundation of your sound; It is on at all times. Your lead sound is achieved by an OD in front, and if you need a volume boost/tonal shaping, you then put an eq or clean boost in your fx loop or behind your distortion pedal.

OD=Green Rhino.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by nadabometal
I dont have in my amp lead channel. only one channel. Does it matters?

I saw some people using hardwire-TL-2 (metal) pedal also for lead sound. what do you think about that? Can a metal pedal can use for a lead sound?

sorry I was thinking it was a 2 ch amp. But it does not matter

I try to stay away from "metal" pedals, unless you spend a few bucks on one, they tend to be really fizzy/fuzzy in sound.

Can you get close to the sound you want with just the amp?
If not, you may have the wrong amp for what you want. The Cub 12 is very JCM800ish in tone/gain (think 80's music), not nearly as modern sounding as a lot of amps
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Cant beleive no one has mentioned getting a delay pedal. Failly short delay time, low repeats, about hald way on the mix will make your lead tones sound HUGE
1. LivinJoke84. You right and I have DD3 delay.

Robbgnarly I love the sound of my amp in clean sound + little reverb. But the amp can't make lead sound nor high gain sound. This I achieve by pedals. Am I wrong?
^ yeah if you want to dial the amp in clean then you'll need pedals. It just depends on how you want to dial the amp in. if you're ok with the amp being distorted then a boost/od pedal along *might* be enough. if you want the amp to be clean for clean tones you'll need a distortion pedal plus an od/boost pedal (assuming you want to be able to kick between distorted rhythm and lead tones).

Quote by LivinJoke84
Cant beleive no one has mentioned getting a delay pedal.

er, at least two of us did
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You mention Eric Clapton's tone. Which Eric Clapton tone? Bluesbreakers, Cream, 90's Soldano, later Tweed?

If from the 90's onwards then be aware that EC doesn't use overdrive pedals. His guitars (Signature Strats) have a mid boost circuit built into them with a control knob on the guitar. This means he can control the level of boost by turning the knob. You can't replicate this very easily as it would mean bending over mid-song to adjust the drive control on a pedal.

Sorry to be the negative voice here but I just want to set some expectations. EC's later tones are something that people (and I'm one of them) chase without getting it spot on due to the complexity of his rig. It is more than just a pedal.
maybe you would be better off with an OCD. a bit more gain than most TS based pedals, it shouldn't leave you with any gain issues.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
ok we still really don't have a really clear idea of what lead tone (s) you are after. no one pedal is going to do it all so knowing would help to narrow it down.