I am guessing this would be best forum for this post... Since musicians seem to swap, upgrade, downgrade gear a lot, and because more and more this may be done via internet with people far away rather than trading with local peeps, I think this question may be of interest for a lot of guitarists...

Anyway, I've acquired various gear on Ebay, and one funny thing is how the shipping rates can vary so much. Now that I'm to the point that I may liquidate some gear, I am hoping to find out the secret for getting low shipping rates for anything from guitar in case to a 30 lb amp, etc.

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
Where do you work? When my dad worked for chase I had him ship a 28lb 20x20x20 package UPS overnight for $18(would've been $157 normally). I you work for a major corporation they may have a shipping deal they let the customers use.
Check prices from UPS, USPS, FedEx, DHL and see which has the best rates (they can vary by more than you'd expect).

Grey Hound used to do courier services and was really cheap, but I'm unsure if they still do.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You are doing well to do your homework before the situation arrises.

Last week I sold a Fender Mustang II amp on ebay and charged $25 to ship it.

I boxed the amp in the original packing and took it a local pack & ship place and asked them to price the most affordable ground shipping that gives me a tracking number. The employee weighed my package and under 30 lbs.....and confirmed that the cheapest he could do it via UPS, Fed Ex, USPS and other from Georgia to Nevada was $87.

$87

Eightyfrigginsevendollars !!!!!

I almost passed out. I kindly took my package straight over to the nearest post office and sent it through them for well under half the price at the convenient pack & ship store.

Do your homework and watch out for the private mail places.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Squier Standard Stratocaster HSS
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
I just shipped a guitar through FedEx halfway across the country for under $40 with insurance
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I aways use a site called parcels2go. It's basically a website that lets you do a price comparison of all the major courier companies in the UK.

I presume there will be similar sites for most countries.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud