Kazizzah, dilznoofuses!

My latest NGD is a Jon Kammerer American Flag Dorado with Vintage Vibe pickups. The Dorado is Jon's take on the Telecaster.

(More pictures will follow, but things have been hectic.)

That is Old Glory on the front, the Thirteen Colonial Stars on the back, and star-shaped fretboard markers...all in carefully measured, cut and inlaid woods. The contouring on the backside is quite comfy.

The neck is moderately slender- neither a shredder's wooden sword blade nor a club befitting a caveman.

Those Vintage Vibe pickups? There is a TON of classic rock tone emanating from them. The VT-N-GD neck pickup chimes like a bell; its a classically voiced Tele pickup, though, to my ears, a little less twangy than is typical. The "Charlie Christian" bridge pickup has a nice heft. It isn't as beefy as a humbucker or P90, but not by much. It is CLEARLY more powerful than the typical singlecoil. But it doesn't have a dirty growl, no mud- its aggression is articulate.

When they're blended? MMmmagic! The bell-like chime of the neck pickup and the thicker tones from the CC

Jon's flag series- along with his camoflage series- involve a lot of precision woodwork. While I have several JKGs, I never thought I'd own one. I love them, but as you can imagine they're not cheap.

Why did I buy this one? Well, first of all, Jon was having a clearance sale- still is, actually- and I was looking at a few different things he had. As we corresponded about the sale and possible future custom jobs, I mentioned how much I liked the flag guitars. And he mentioned he had one that was a prototype- his first Dorado flag guitar. But it had a little nick from assembly- couldn't be sold as new, so he was using it as a showcase and a test for pickup combinations.

Theeeenn he quoted me a stupid price. And I didn't own a Tele. So I bit.

As he said, the prototype didn't have pickups in it, but he had some good stuff on hand. I told him to wait, and I'd send him some nice ones. That's when I got talking to Pete Biltoft of Vintage Vibe.

Over the course of several emails, Pete talked me through various options before I settled on the ones I did. Bottom line: I got 2 custom-wound, classically voiced pickups for just under $230, shipped to Jon.

So. You want an ergonomically contoured Telecaster-style guitar, Jon's your man. You want custom wound classic tones? Pete's hard to best.
http://jonkammerercustoms.com/help-template_012.htm

http://vintagevibeguitars.com

Now I need to find a strap to do it justice.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 29, 2014,
The star inlays would be a bit too much for me, but the body is glorious. I can totally see Bruce Springsteen pulling off a Tele like this.

HNGD!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Yay for Teles, HNGD!
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Very nice guitar man. My favorite part are the stars on the back. Really like how it looks. Many grats!
It's patriotic if you're Mellican.
Mostly ironic if you live anywhere else on the planet <G>.

Nicely done guitar. Kudos to Jon for the quality of the work.

I don't have a tele-shaped guitar. Growing up in Dubuque, Iowa, I always saw them as country guitars and nothing but. These days I'm more egalitarian, but given the Fenders I've tried, I'd probably be more inclined toward one of Carvin's neck-through teles (would that they'd put a 25.5" scale on one) or to a really cheap version that could double as a cutting board.

I have a Charlie Christian PU on an old ('50's) Les Paul. Neck, though.
Last edited by dspellman at Apr 29, 2014,

Yeah, and nobody would ever call me a hawk or say I'm jingoistic...but I had to go for this one!

You should see his Union Jack guitars...and the Texas and Canadian flag guitars look sharp, too.

I have a Charlie Christian PU on an old ('50's) Les Paul. Neck, though.

With a bridge HB? How does that sound?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 29, 2014,
Quote by dspellman

I don't have a tele-shaped guitar...
Yack yack yack, stop being Liberace and get a Tele

Flags are of no interest to me but I would consider a guitar with the Palestinian flag \m/
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
'Cause 'Merica!!!

Sweet looking axe though, very unique without being gaudy. HNGD!!!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
**** yeah, awesome
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Now leaning the National Anthem, 'cause flag Dorado.

Nice! Don't let Greg see that bridge! Xxx
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

I like the hybrid bridge, notice the brass saddles for just the G B&e? Smart!

hngd!!!
Last edited by gregs1020 at Apr 30, 2014,
Alas, that is just a trick of the light- it's all the same, AFAIK.

I'm curious, though, as to why you thought it smart, Greg. Material durability?

Brass will tame the highs on the high strings. Faber makes a hybrid tom bridge, I'm sure others do too.
I didn't notice that. I totally want to try that on a tele now.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER