Can anyone please tell me about the Peavey JSX 120w head? Some YouTube videos show it's versatility but can it handle anywhere from pink Floyd to AC/DC? How does it handle metal such as Metallica or Avenged Sevenfold? I'm assuming it's great for shred since it is a Joe Satriani amplifier. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
It can do all of the things you want, but it's not particularly great for any of them. It wouldn't be my first recommendation at all. Great amp though. I owned one for a bit.

Luckily all of the tones you want are in the same vein - a Marshall 2203 could do all of those tones easily. If you don't want to change your settings for every style, the Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 would be just as up to the task.

What is your budget, where in the world are you located, are you willing to buy a used amp? What other gear do you have right now? Answer these questions and we can make recommendations for what amps would be good for you.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Apr 29, 2014,
I am located in Wichita, KS, in the United States. I am willing to buy used amplifiers! My price range is >$1500. I'm trying to decide between this Peavey JSX or the EVH 5150 50w. I'm open to suggestions though. I currently use Peavey Vypyrs.
I wouldn't get the JSX or the EVH.

You can Marshall 1960s for $300-400 any day. JCM800s go for around $1000 pretty consitently, and DSL100s go for about $700 asking, $600 fair.

All you really need is a good Tubescreamer type pedal. Look at the Hardwire CM-2, Way Huge Green Rhino, and the MXR M77.

An EQ is also a musthave pedal. The MXR 10 Band is excellent.

Basically, get the JCM800 if you don't mind messing with the settings on the amp between the sounds you want. Get the DSL if you want to be able to switch between sounds on the fly.

Also a note on JCM800s - vertical input models are the best. Horizontals are okay. A 2203 or 2204 is the specific ones you want to look for. Don't bother with a 2205 or a 2210.

Also look at the Marshall JVM205 or JVM210. You might not like it, but considering your budget, it's definitely worth checking out.

For Pink Floyd, just turn up the volume as needed and keep the gain low. If volume is not an issue, max out the volume ans use the gain for volume. Wear earplugs.

For AC/DC, Metallica & A7X, just use the amp normally - turn up volume as suitable and gain until you get the amount of saturation you want.

You might want a good Muff pedal for Gilmour style dirt. Check out the Catalinbread Manx Loaghtan. Tons of other good Muff variants out there.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I highly recommend the JSX for its versatility and ease to get all the tones you are looking for. Not to mention its a 3 channel with a decent FX loop. I get some pretty brutal sounding stuff from my XXX II (JSX).
I really need to be able to switch from cleans to high gain in an instant for my live Metallica cover band shows. It just seems convenient to have a high gain amplifier so I don't have to use a distortion pedal. I'm hoping if I got the JSX or EVH I could get away with just using my CAE Boost.
http://wichita.craigslist.org/msg/4437400527.html

http://wichita.craigslist.org/msg/4437398421.html

both of these are on the wichita craigslist and both will do what you want them to do. the cleans on the 6505 arent fender cleans but they will get you there.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
The Rockerverb is a cool amp. Definitely check it out if it's close.

I have read that there is a slight (maybe a half second or a second) switching delay on the DSL. I don't know a lot about the specifics of the issue, but it's worth bringing up if you need to switch instantly.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I really don't think the DSL is quite my style. That being said though, it's still a great amplifier! It seems as if not many people care for the JSX that much.
if i were you and had your budget i would be all over that rockerverb. THAT is your next amp
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
i always throw it in, may be a tad overbudget, but look into a splawn quickrod. it will slay any current marshall.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
After doing more studying and analyzing my budget and what not, I still always come back to the EVH 5150 iii with the 2x12 cab. Think I'm gonna go ahead and buy it when I get the cash.